How do you remove wiper arms?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

How do you remove wiper arms?

Unread post by homerguy » October 21st, 2009, 6:53 pm

I m trying to removed the wiper arms on an A2. I see what looks like spring release but the '20 and '34 just say to "remove them" They dont seem to pry off...What am I missing here? Goal is to replace wiper motor .
thanks!

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: How do you remove wiper arms?

Unread post by Fil Bonica » October 21st, 2009, 8:57 pm

Put a screwdriver between the arm and the windshield and lift off. The arm should move free . If not use some WD40 first . Also you can put a cloth underneath in order not scratch the finish.
With arms off you can then remove all the screws an get to the motor arm on the wiper motor. The other side can remain intact.

Hope this helps.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: How do you remove wiper arms?

Unread post by homerguy » October 21st, 2009, 9:17 pm

Thanks Fil! Actually thats exactly what I did and realized shortly after posting this that they lifted off fairly easily,looks like someone put some graphite on mine at some point. WHen I got the front panel off, I realized that on the new motor,the piece that connects to the linkage bar is not drilled for a cotter pin like the one I replaced. Instead it has a very small groove for a c clip. I jerry rigged a cotter pin to hold it on only to discover after everything was buttoned down that the cotter pin didnt hold. Well at least I have the drivers side that works until I can get a clip