tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Waterpump Pulley- CHANGED what year?

Unread post by tankerm60 » October 10th, 2009, 9:19 pm

10 Oct.09
21:00

Hello All,

Today I toredown an engine that was in my 1967 M151a1 that was frozen. I have had mystery oil soaking for 1 /2 years to free pistons. I have spare engines so this was never a priority ro fix. When I tore apart my 1964 engine, the waterpump pulley is very different than the A1 series. TM9-2805-213-34 Jan 1963 Page # 49 figure 33. Clearly shows a tapered pulley compared to the strait sides on a later A1 type. The early is of cast steel compared to the pressed steel A1 version.
My ? is what year did they switch to the (Lighter) metal style and for what reason. All the engines I have, 4, 3 have the lighter made style.These are all the 2 belt types.

After removing the oil pan, I saw a mess! It was like the swamps and goo of southern Louisiana! No wonder the engine was frozen.The oil pump was compleetly clogged and the side drain vent left in the open position! So, I am detirmined to make her run again, another winter project. I had a similar frozen engine in a 1965 that I restored, It runs great-determination and OCD :roll:

Ken, any chance at some (SIDE VIEW) pics of the early spare wheel retainer ? AS I recall, it has a tapered edge where it sat inside the wheel hub opening.

Tanks Alot,

Dave-TankerM60