just like a new one

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

just like a new one

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » October 10th, 2009, 4:00 pm

well, after 6 mos. of wracking my brain, replacing ( or rebuilding ) the whole fuel system, setting the valves, adjusting the timing new plugs

I can finally say with complete Honesty.....this A2 runs puuuuuurfect, no more backfires, downshifts clean and quiet starts with just a touch of the starter

and I owe it all to you guys and my Dad, who finally came home from his motor coach trip around this continent, him and I spent the better part of the morning

doing the valves and the timing. and I have never seen it drive or sound this good. thanks again and all you guys that helped me with your knowledge and experience ( and you know who you are) if you get down to Naples Fl. dinner is on me

and I got a spare room ( cuz everybody knows you don't want to stay in a hotel during season in Naples unless you got lots of cash to throw around)

so email me and we'll set it up dcollins_s@comcast.net thanks again

ps I'm going jeeping
Dave Collins
Dave Collins :D

rickf
General
General

Re: just like a new one

Unread post by rickf » October 10th, 2009, 5:21 pm

So Dad proved you still don't know it all huh. :twisted: Glad to hear it is up and going, that is all that matters.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » October 10th, 2009, 10:55 pm

well,
I never would ever say I know more than my Dad, especially when it comes to this A2- he owned it for25 yrs & was his 2nd one ( he had an A1 he liked better) but he was on the road from may till last week, so I didn't have him here to help me, that's where you guys came in, I needed someone ( who wasn't on vacation) that I could ask that I knew I could trust. and that's where the G838 came in by the way he was very impressed with what I got done and I have you guys to thank- me I'm a body man I can restore anything but I needed help with this mutt- sure it's a simple concept but as I learned today ( and the last 3 months ) you have to get it right or it won't work.we spent about 2 hrs getting it right, and I can tell you it's as perfect a running and driving vehicle as I have ever driven hell it runs as good as my truck. it runs better than I have ever seen. new fuel pump, all new fuel lines, re built carb, valves perfect, timing perfect eng has about 20,000 miles of easy miles. and I can tell you with one hand on the Bible, that he was impressed with the amount of time and care I put into this A2 without him around. so that's my story Thanks to all of you that helped me out. and I am looking forward to helping anyone that I can on this site from what I learned from this experience. Go USA

Dave

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 11th, 2009, 1:01 am

Dave

I hadn't done a whole lot of in depth mechanical work on a vehicle since my father and I restored an old 1965 Ford Mustang in 1981-82. Getting my M151a1 in 1997 really brought a lot of stuff I had almost forgotten back into memory. I can't tell how many times reading about problems and their solutions (especially the one's Rick had diagnosed, I seem to be constantly amazed at his knowledge of all things mechanical) here have helped me quickly diagnose things on my own.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » October 11th, 2009, 6:11 am

Glad to hear that yours is running so well. Mine has been running rather rough and now has a tendency to overheat at highway speeds. I won't be home until early December but the ski resorts should all be open by then. You could come out to help me fix my MUTT then "Ski Utah!" :mrgreen:
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » October 11th, 2009, 11:54 am

by Francis Marion on October 11th, 2009, 6:11 am

Glad to hear that yours is running so well. Mine has been running rather rough and now has a tendency to overheat at highway speeds. I won't be home until early December but the ski resorts should all be open by then. You could come out to help me fix my MUTT then "Ski Utah!"

well, Rick F is the man to ask, this guy knows an enormous amount of info, regarding these Mutts, I will be happy to help anyway I can never snow ski'd in my life love the snow though
I would look at your cooling system although I would think that it would overheat at slow speeds to if there was a problem- if you have the service manual the army puts out they
wrote it for people without a lot of mechanical knowledge and is very easy to follow

of course I may be retarded cuz if you look on the tech part of the website you will see lots of posts of me asking questions. from what I understand your carb could have something to do with it timings another, I would start at the beginning and isolate things

let me know how it goes and remember Rick F is the man, he spends alot of time answering
posts and solving problems I would still be out in my garage banging my head on the wall if it weren't for the G838 & and all the helpful advice. and yes I know I don't know how to write a short blog you should see me in person, but it's all good. Dave

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » October 11th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Hey Rick,
Sounds like you'll be gettin candy on Valentines Day. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » October 11th, 2009, 3:30 pm

well, I wouldn't go that far, I just believe that when someone helps you out ( having never met me) I just think the right thing to do show some appreciation that's all . but no candy
that's where I draw the line

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 11th, 2009, 8:04 pm

NO CANDY!!!!!
I'm Hurt. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Francis, I will get back to you tomorrow on your issues, I have to get my beauty sleep. :roll:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » October 11th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Hey 70mFord,
Rick, Toptiger Ralph and many other on this site did something for you when you were just a kid, and they never asked for anything then either. :) It's who we are, and always have been. Weather it started for us saying the Pledge of Allegiance, watching John Wayne in his many movies, or when we all played Army when we were kids, certain men stand up and go forward into battle, for citizens of many countries we've never met. This is just one more feather in Rick's cap, one of many and he's earned every one of them.
Rainman

rogerm
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by rogerm » October 11th, 2009, 8:30 pm

no candy? geesh... lol
MUTT-less right now

Imagine a place where civilians are immersed in a USMC VN-era "course" for 4-days.
It happens at Camp Basilone. US Marines, teaching Marine reenactors.

70mford151a2
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 70mford151a2 » October 11th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Report this postReply with quoteRe: just like a new one
by Rainman on October 11th, 2009, 8:18 pm

"Hey 70mFord,
Rick, Toptiger Ralph and many other on this site did something for you when you were just a kid, and they never asked for anything then either. It's who we are, and always have been. Weather it started for us saying the Pledge of Allegiance, watching John Wayne in his many movies, or when we all played Army when we were kids, certain men stand up and go forward into battle, for citizens of many countries we've never met. This is just one more feather in Rick's cap, one of many and he's earned every one of them."

well, I hope I didn't offend anyone, I was mearly stating my reasons for be so appreciative for all the help, and I will always be that way, I have more respect for veterans than anyone else who walks this earth- I have lots of hero's in my own family ( I was not allowed into the armed forces for medical reasons , one kidney ) or my timing was bad. but none the less.
I never implied that any of you would ever "ask" for anything in return. I quess I just went a little overboard with my accolades- won't happen again- just so you know had I been accepted
into the armed forces when I tried ( at 18 ) I would have followed your foot steps right into the middle of it. lets be clear on that. not being a part of it was not my choice, so now I just enjoy reading all of you alls posts and doing what I can to keep this little piece of history running right- and if everybody wants candy then candy you shall have !! good day Dave

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » October 11th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Hey 70mFord,
No candy, no parades, no thanks necessary. :D Rick is not one of the few, he's one of the many. GPReady, muttvet, Francis Marion, are on active duty as we speak. Thanks to God for the men willing to put themselves in harms way today. I didn't deal with IEDs, but they scare the hell out of me now, because we were there in our time, with bouncin betty's and pungie sticks. I'm playin this out, but you know what I mean. Guys like Rick, toptiger, ralph, gpready and francis marion, and the other vets here have done something in their time, and never asked for squat. The welcome home rec'd was less than patriotic for many. I was never spit on but some here were. I was never thanked either, till after 9-11 in parades. It chokes me up when I'm driving in the parades, accepting thanks for as these observers offer it. After 2001 a whole new patriotism evolved and I rec'd my thanks, and am blessed to provide a visual reminder to those that benefited from those like me. I'm proud to have served along side of these members. I gave very little in comparison, some gave all. :(
Rainman

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

Francis Marion wrote:Glad to hear that yours is running so well. Mine has been running rather rough and now has a tendency to overheat at highway speeds. I won't be home until early December but the ski resorts should all be open by then. You could come out to help me fix my MUTT then "Ski Utah!" :mrgreen:
Francis, You say it is running rough and overheating at highway speed. That could be a couple of things and I will need more info to know exactly where to point. My first thought is a leaking intake manifold causing it to run lean which will also raise the temp at speed. These things pull a massive amount of air through the radiator so IF the radiator is in good condition that is probably not the problem. Next thought is possible head gasket leak, that will cause overheating and introduce combustion gases directly into the coolant. Next, and this should have been near the top, is a bad thermostat. Is it running at 170-180 when idling? If the thermostat is stuck open then the coolant will flow through the radiator so fast at speed that it will not have a chance to transfer heat to the air through the radiator and therefor it will overheat.
As you can see I will need some more info to work on but these are some possibilities.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed