Engine Problem

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Re: Engine Problem

Unread post by Floyd » April 4th, 2009, 11:51 am

Sherwan: Good catch,seems like the army did more of a destroy it than overhaul it. :shock: :evil: The engine shuting down when it did was a good thing. Now you'll have it in tip top shape. No wonder the army motorpool never ran out of things to do, talk about job security.

Good luck on the rebuild.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 4th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Raymond,
Thanks for the info on the spark plugs.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 4th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Hey Floyd,

Yes the army destroyed it rather than rebuilding it, Well its the Pakistani Army, nothing is right! :lol: :lol:
I was talking to a Vet the other day, he asked "who do you think makes the most money in the pakistani army" i said ' a general" he said "no, a sergeant in the motorpool" :lol: :lol:
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 6th, 2009, 6:15 pm

sherwan_88 wrote:Rick,
I just had the engine stripped, and it turns that the head and the block is OK, nothing cracked. From looks of it the engine was overhauled by the army, well it is a disaster if you ask me, the no 1 cylinder sleeve was 1 cm shorter than the cylinder it self, the head wasn't phased properly and the no 2 cylinder was pushing oil into the head. All the 4 piston's had a clearance of 1cm and above! :shock: No wonder i had no power! One rocker arm was broken which has bent a cam on the cam shaft and out of the 8 valves only one is in good condition. The engine seems to be overhauled by one who doesn't know jack sh*t about overhauling engines. Stripping the engine now saved it, who knows what might have gone wrong later if it wasn't for now.

Well now i'm looking at complete overhaul of the engine, i just hope i find parts.

Anyways Rick, Thanks! your help has led me to fix and understand Mutts extensively.

Sherwan
Sherwan, I reread your post and the bit about the sleeve jumped out and bit me! These engines do not have sleeved cylinders. I am not sure it is worth working on this one.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Rick,

An engine not sleeve lined is some thing new to hear for me, I've been told by the mechanic that the engine has been rebuilt 3 times, so everything in it is over sized by 0.30, and so the mechanic says everything has to come back to standard now, i don't know how he plans to do that but he gives me a guarantee that it will run for at least a year. I do trust his judgment though because my diesel died on me about 6 months ago, the block cracked. I insisted we get a new motor but he said "get a new block in and you won't have to worry about anything", well i did and its still running quite good.

Scrapping the mutt engine would not be a great idea, because, you see as said by you there is no way of knowing the quality of a engine until it runs or is stripped,so if i replace a motor i can only find engines which are in the same condition as mine, so i would end up spending money getting another engine and then spending more money getting it rebuilt too. Its a very confusing situation right now, i think i'm gonna stick with this one and see how it turns out because i'm left with very little options frankly its this or a engine conversion and i definitely don't wanna go that way.

By my way of thinking engine is conversion is for people who don't have the balls to fill a Mutt fuel tank! I bet Alisaad is not gonna be pleased with this comment :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 6th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Over here engines for just about anything can be found so there is not much sleeving being done. I can see where in your country where you do not have access to any spare parts or extra motors that you would have to sleeve a motor if you are going to keep it running. As I have said before, I am amazed at what your people can accomplish with nothing! I hope your motor has not been bored too big to retain a new sleeve. Unless your mechanic was the one who did the work how can he know how many times it was rebuilt? Also, Why would it need to be rebuilt that many times?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 6th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Rick,
I asked the mechanic the same question, and what he did was grab a piston open the bottom of the connecting rod (i don't know what its called :mrgreen: ), slid out a shell casing, and showed me the date and the oversize spec of it, and it was 0.30. He also showed me that the crank had been grinded twice which was of two sizes at the either end and multiple things which i don't seem to be able to process, i think its a mechanic thing to understand :wink: . About the sleeves, don't worry about it, machinists always come up with sleeves of the matching size no matter how big the bore is. :D

I think it was overhauled 3 times, maybe because the Army guys at the motorpool got bored. :lol: :lol: , usually people don't have a clue to why the army does certain things, they just do it. :D
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » April 6th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Sherwan: If the engineer plans to sleeve the motor and will not get too upset ask him if you can take a few photos of the process. It would be something for all of us to see.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 6th, 2009, 8:26 pm

.030 on a rod bearing! I don't think I have ever seen them ground that far. Floyd, this one had already had sleeves put in it. I would like to see some pictures also.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 6th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Guys,

Will surely put up some pictures when i visit the workshop tomorrow.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » April 6th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Or you could follow alisaad's trail and get a 3sfe or whatever in it ;) lol....

Better still, I suggest you contact the recent bidders of the auctions. Cut a deal with them to give you a motor, have your mechanic choose one to work on with less items to work on.
You can call up Mehmood Motors on 0212254638, they are stockists of parts etc.
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 7th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Thanks for the contact Sam, i will give them a call tomorrow.

Cutting a deal is what i had in mind, but people who've bought Mutts have the notion that they will be able to rip off people by selling Mutts which run.
I asked two guys to cut me a deal, and they wanted 60K! and the whole vehicle for 90k! so i am not going to get intentionally ripped off. :wink:

Since i've manged to get most of the parts today from my day trip to Kharian, except the camshaft and the rod bearings, all is on track.

Putting in an alternate motor is like NEVER!, excuses for putting in a new motor like "its not economical" is for pussies. "when you can't afford it don't touch it" that's what i believe, i am determined to put a the original motor in working order or a original replacement, and not some 3sfe or 4sfe BS! (No offense to anyone and just my opinion, if anyone has a problem with it get in line!). I wont turn to the dark side! :lol:

Also guys I'm sorry when i got to the machinist, he had already bored the engine and put in the sleeves! Sorry i couldn't post pictures!
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » April 7th, 2009, 4:03 pm

Dont go out looking desperate for a motor, just ask by the way kinda thing.... there has to be junkyards there where you can find old motors..... probably picking up a couple might get you a good single unit.

You got the gaskets :?:
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » April 7th, 2009, 7:32 pm

I think i will stick with the current strategy for a while. Thanks anyways.

YES! i got gaskets! STEEL ONES! Yeah baby! MADE IN THE USA! 8) :lol: :wink:
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 7th, 2009, 8:31 pm

Rick and Floyd

I had one cylinder of an engine resleeved before. It is more common than you think, especially with old tractor motors. The engine I had a sleeve put in was a 1979 Evinrude 140 horsepower 2 cycle V4 outboard. It was installed on a 15 foot low profile Silverline with a hydraulic jack plate, and it would fly with a 23 pitch solid hub prop. On plane at wide open throttle, it would start doing that side to side walk, kind of scarey when a boat does that. One cylinder was too scored to bore, so the machine shop resleeved it.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus