Just got second mutt, Time to join the G838

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Jester
civilian

Just got second mutt, Time to join the G838

Unread post by Jester » April 1st, 2009, 1:01 am

Hi, To All
I just picked up an uncut m151a1-c here in Tucson AZ, figured I might need info and or have mutt info to give or share. I First took a liking to Mutt's while in the Marine Corps. My unit still had a couple in service when I first Joined and I loved riding around in them. I'm sure they eventually went to D.R.M.O which is my least favorite thing period. Hate drmo!!!
I bought My first mutt in 2006 it's a 1971 AMG A2 uncut with little to no rust when I bought it. It came off an air base In the early 80's a contractor got it he was supposed to put it on his gun range and shoot it up along with a bunch of other A2's. He wound up only shooting a few then swapping data plates from good a2's and taking more pics of the shot up ones. The story goes,, He eventually got audited by the IRS and started selling all his uncut or un-shot mutt's cheep to a local mv dealer who wound up getting caught by the feds and had to demill most of the purchase. Luckily My local M.V. dealer scrounged up 10 bonded titles before having to cut up the lot of 70 others. My a2 was number 8 of the 10 saved. It took months to talk him out of it and the price changed every day. Got a m151a1c this week from a retired border patrol officer Ill need a lot of technical help getting it back to health so I"m glad I found this board, it has the most info I have found on line.

Jester

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Just got second mutt, Time to join the G838

Unread post by Motorcityman » April 1st, 2009, 2:38 am

Absolutely beautiful!! :shock: Great score, congrats on such a gem. Got any plans on dressing it up?

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » April 1st, 2009, 9:08 am

Hey Jester, welcome to the board. Beautiful piece of A2 you picked up. Other than the round mirror it looks perfect. A few minor details to make it look more like a Marine 151 and your golden!

Many of us have had concerns at one time or another that the 151's we own may have had a "checkered past". Yours sure has and very cool that you know the story. Doesn't look like you need much help with it, it's done! More pictures are always appreciated. Leave out the ones with your data plate details 8)

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 1st, 2009, 10:14 am

Nice Ride 8) I wouldn't talk too much about it's origins. If you plan on making it a marine model, the first thing you'll need is a marine corps front bumper.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » April 1st, 2009, 11:08 am

That is a sweet looking Mutt! Everytime I see a stock Mutt, without antennas and all the garb that we seem to add to them, it reminds me how much I like them that way. I had every intention of leaving mine like that but the fever got so powerful that I was blinded by a burning desire to purchase every "special purpose" kit I could find. Fight that temptation because your Mutt is beautiful.
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » April 1st, 2009, 10:58 pm

Welcome Jester,

I was just through your area a few days ago.

Hey Rainman, What's wrong with the round mirror? Mine came out of the serivce with a round mirror. The 34P shows a round mirror as being correct. Is there another reference as to having a rectagular mirror that I'm missing?

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » April 1st, 2009, 11:37 pm

Cobra5 wrote:Welcome Jester,

I was just through your area a few days ago.

Hey Rainman, What's wrong with the round mirror? Mine came out of the serivce with a round mirror. The 34P shows a round mirror as being correct. Is there another reference as to having a rectagular mirror that I'm missing?
there's nothing wrong with it, thats the way the early a2's came. later they went to rectangular mirrors and through attrition (replacement of broken ones) most A2's had the rectangular ones. either one is correct, the rectangular ones are more popular since they are bigger thats all.

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » April 1st, 2009, 11:53 pm

Hey Cobra5,
Guess I was going from my belief based on personal experience, your results may vary. :D Once again, I am with the "never say never when it comes to M151's" crowd. You are correct, the Wiki does not address round mirror/square mirror transitions among the variants. If I am mistaken as to square mirrors being "issue" with the A2, I may be open to possibilities.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » April 2nd, 2009, 12:08 am

I always wanted to ask the question about the mirrors. Seems like most of you guys are running with the rectangle ones.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » April 2nd, 2009, 10:45 am

Jester, good looking A2. How about a picture of your newest find. Welcome to the 838.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » April 2nd, 2009, 5:42 pm

Jester: Welcome to the board...great looking MUTT
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

Jester
civilian

Unread post by Jester » April 4th, 2009, 3:24 am

Wow!!
Awesome responses from everyone, never had so many comments about my Mutt at once like that. I'll try to respond to a few comments in this one post. The round mirror is what was on it when I first picked it up about too years ago. I rolled the thing while on a trailer back on thanksgiving day and the mirror along with the window and all sorts of other stuff was smashed I just bought the same style round mirror when I started putting her back together. luckily the trailer protected most the mutt. AS for dressing her up I do not have any other plans I don't even have a top bow on the thing I like it light low and stripped. Sometimes I bypass the train guards by going under the tracks through the spill way with the window down, good luck following me in a Christmas tree mutt or one with R.o.p.s. They do look cool though. I never really liked the look of the wide U.S.M.C bumper on the slim design of the 151 but I think its growing on me.
I hope to go back to the military tires soon they look so much better you just cant beet the ride on those radials around town.
Thank's again for the awesome welcome and the great comments.

Jester.
I'll try to attach a couple other photos
ImageImageImageImage

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » April 4th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Jester: I really like your new one. That's cool the way they mounted the spare tire.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member