Greasing my spindle supports question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Greasing my spindle supports question

Unread post by 09FordRanger » February 20th, 2024, 11:00 am

Getting ready to insert the drive yoke flange through the spindle support and into the wheel spindle (new bearings, seals etc). Once I add the castle nut I’m hoping I will never need to redo this job again. I’m pretty old so I probably won’t be around by the time those bearings and seals need replacing so I’d like to get it right the first time. Never done this before so any advice is appreciated. Greased everything the -20 manual told me to but I was thinking I should add some grease inside the spindle support for general purpose. Any advice on how much grease should I smear around in there before it gets sealed up?? I do know that too much can create pressure that has the potential to blow the seals so don’t want to overdo it. A mechanic friend told me to “slather” the inside of the spindle support before I reinstall the flange. Make sense?
TIA to any who offer thoughts.

rickf
General
General

Re: Greasing my spindle supports question

Unread post by rickf » February 20th, 2024, 12:07 pm

"Slather" can be taken many ways. It will not hurt to put a decent amount of grease on the spindle but as you said more is not better in this case. The bearings are the only thing that actually need grease but you can put some on the spindle for good measure to prevent rust if moisture were to get in there. Also be sure to put a little grease on the seal lips.

This is downloadable from here and might give a little more insight into what does and does not need grease.
https://www.g838.org/g838_manuals/lo%20 ... 0jul88.pdf
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone