This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

The Mutts kicking my butt

Unread post by Sundawg3 » December 6th, 2023, 5:51 pm

Guys,

Water / coolant temp gauge didn't work, tried two used gauges with no success. Ordered new (in the package from 1986) transmitter still no worky. Today the new gauge came in so I wired directly to the transmitter and ground, no Bueno. Before all this I rang the harness from the transmitter to the gauge and it was fine. Wired from the transmitter to left post looking at the gauge from the front or right looking from the back. I'm assuming the other post is the light? Even tried both posts and nothing.

Could I have received a bad transmitter or am I missing something? The wiring diagrams I see online are grainy and hard to read.

Thanks

Brad

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: The Mutts kicking my butt

Unread post by Hambone » December 6th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Check out this topic, maybe it will help.
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=226409

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Sundawg3 » December 6th, 2023, 9:00 pm

Thanks Hambone!!!

Tried grounding the wire to the sender with no success, yet it rings to the gauge??? The new gauge needle will move with a quick tap of 24 volts but doesn't work in the panel. Found a print I can somewhat read, looks like wire 27 to the right side is power, and it does have power. Left wire rings to sender. Checked ground in a few places still no luck. The Mutt is being difficult.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 6th, 2023, 9:02 pm

You should have a hot wire going to the positive terminal on the gauge, then you have the wire to the sender that goes on the negative terminal of the gauge. There is not light in the gauge, the dash lights on the panel are the lights for the gauges. It sounds to me like you are not hooking up the power wire. The gauge IS the transmitter and the sending unit is the ground, The sending unit is a resister and changes value as the temperature changes and hence the resistance changes and the reading on the gauge changes. You should be able to put a meter on the wire from the gauge on the plug at the sender and get 24 volts with it unplugged. I can look at a gauge tomorrow and tell you which post is which.

Are you grounding your panel while doing all of this? A2 panels had a ground wire to the harness but A1 panels were only grounded by the screws that hold them in so when working on it out of the the dash you need to ground it to the dash.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 6th, 2023, 10:12 pm

This is looking at the back of the panel, #6 is harness #27, #5 is harness #36.
photo (92).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » December 8th, 2023, 6:46 am

hi

look at pedros,cz the manual TM 9-2320-218-20
page 2- 75 til 2- 82
there is all for the gauges

wire 27 is the hot wire from the contact trow a fuse

george

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Sundawg3 » December 8th, 2023, 10:04 pm

Thanks for the prints guys. I also looked at the diagrams on TM_9-2320-218-20 as I was told. I believe the wires, on mine, are connected backwards as to the prints. I should have another gauge in the morning and will install with troubleshooting as you all have suggested. Let you know then!!

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Sundawg3 » December 23rd, 2023, 10:39 am

Two used gauges, new sender, new gauge, rang out the wires multiple times, cleaned connectors, finally ordered another sender. Looks like the first new sender I ordered was bad out of the bag. Installed the second new sender with the new gauge and it works perfect.

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by ODRotorHead » January 15th, 2024, 1:41 pm

Alert - - - New Guy Post - - - Proceed with Caution.

I've had a lot of electrical problems with my new-to-me A2 and got frustrated with all of the blurry A2 electrical diagrams. I spent a little time and worked up my own version. I'm reluctant to share it because I'm not certain it's perfect. I'll share this "beta" version in the hope that others will take a close look at it, identify any mistakes, and let me know how I can improve it. If that works out, I'll make the necessary corrections and "reissue" the diagram with a new number/date.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS DIAGRAM IS BASED ON THE ORIGINAL, BUT IT IS NOT THE ORIGINAL A2 ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM. THERE MAY BE ERRORS.

REMOVED - UPDATED DIAGRAM MOVED TO NEW SECTION

NOTE: NEW VERSION. Someone was kind enough to send a legible copy of the TM 9-2320-218-20-1-2 (MAY 1982) Electrical System Wiring Diagram. This version (006D - 16 JAN 24) is an update that approximates the most current TM diagram that I have available. The .jpg file size is 12.1 MB.

I tried to spread out the lines to make it easier to read and I modified some of the figures for the same reason. It's been more than six months since I last worked on this, so my recollection is getting a little fuzzy. I seem to remember that I found some mistakes on the original diagram that had to do with the brake/turn signal/running lights. It's possible that I misinterpreted the diagram and the original is more correct. Let me know.

Please let me know if there's anything at all that I can do to make this diagram better. If it's too confusing and creates more problems than it solves, let me know right away and I'll delete this post. I don't want a bad diagram to get out into the "wild."

Mark
Last edited by ODRotorHead on March 31st, 2024, 2:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 15th, 2024, 4:39 pm

EXCELLENT!!!
This is something that is sorely needed for people that are not used to staring at wiring diagrams. I know you sent me this a while ago and I thought I went over the wiring numbers back then but I will go over them again this evening once I warm up, been outside all afternoon. Looks right from a quick lookover though.

For those that don't know, if you click on it it will enlarge, if you click again it will REALLY enlarge for looking at details like the turn signal and light switches.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by ODRotorHead » January 15th, 2024, 5:17 pm

The diagram's just for fun but the wire numbering document (.docx) may be useful . . .

REMOVED - INFORMATION MOVED TO POST TITLED Miscellaneous Diagrams and Illustrations.
Last edited by ODRotorHead on April 10th, 2024, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by ODRotorHead » January 18th, 2024, 12:33 pm

While working on my instrument cluster I copied the illustration in the -20-1-1 and used it to sort out the wiring. Near as I can tell, the item numbers and circuit numbers (wire numbers) listed on page 5-144 are reversed for the Fuel Quantity, Engine Temperature, and Engine Oil Pressure gauges.

I reworked the illustration to get rid of the item numbers and substituted the wire numbers for each gauge connection:

REMOVED - INFORMATION MOVED TO POST TITLED Miscellaneous Diagrams and Illustrations.

If I got any of this wrong, please let me know right away and I'll make the necessary corrections.

* Illustration modified as requested (19 Jan 24).
Last edited by ODRotorHead on April 10th, 2024, 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » January 19th, 2024, 7:08 am

hi
you are almost correct only the wire`s 28-33-36 are not together bud the sensors wire`s

look at the book link below page`s 2.75 till 2.81 all aboud the instruments there

http://www.pedros.cz/M151/TM_9-2320-218-20.pdf

all 27 and 27 B wire`s hot at contact on
wire 28 to sensor fuel
wire 33 to sensor temp
wire 36 to sensor oil

the mounting brackets from the meters must have a clean surface to get ground from the instrument panel

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by ODRotorHead » January 19th, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

You are correct that wires 28, 33, and 36 "are not together." I apologize for using a short hand expression (term) on the diagram that wasn't clear. The rubber socket/plug shells for wires 28, 33, and 36 have raised ribs that run parallel to the long axis of the fittings. If you're reaching in behind the panel to make connections, feeling for the ribs on the connectors may help avoid making the wrong connections. Ribbed socket 28 goes to ribbed plug 28, etc. I'll change the verbiage and try to make it more clear.

I'll change it to "Connect ribbed sockets (28, 33, 36) to ribbed gauge plugs." Let me know if that's okay. If not, I'll delete it. It's just a tip.

Thank you for the -20 reference. All good information. You may have already noticed that Figure 2-38, Page 2-76 of that -20 version (SEP 71) shows all four gauges reversed - left to right. A later -20 version (MAY 82) has the wire numbers in the text reversed. Lots of errors that just add to the confusion.

From what I've read, most of the instrument grounding problems stem from the panel not being grounded to the dash. I don't know the history, but later versions have a fixed panel ground just below the Hi Beam indicator light that plugs into the harness [57]. I can't find the reference, but I've read a suggestion (PS Magazine?) that operators of earlier versions drill a small hole in the panel in that same location, and install a wire that grounds the panel to the vehicle frame. Assuming clean threads, a star washer under the head of one of the panel mounting screws will probably do just as well.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » January 19th, 2024, 7:16 pm

I installed a flat grounding wire from the gauge panel to the transmission.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416