This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Registering in Ohio

Unread post by Sundawg3 » November 18th, 2023, 11:50 am

All,

My first M151A1 purchase and it's been a blast, plus frustrating. Purchased in Indiana with a bill of sale only. Tried to register in Ohio but BMV would only issue a temp tag. Based on the dash data tag saying it's a 65. With the help of "The Mutt Guru" I've found the tag is incorrect. Ken educated me on the history of the Mutt and the US Governments wise thinking for tracking vehicles! A little paint on the hood... How could this go wrong??

Guru pointed me in the direction of legality! After three wrong data plate purchases (all my fault) I finally have the correct one on the way. From Poland!! I want this to be registered legally and correct for the vehicle. Ken says it's a 1967 so that's what it'll be after the correct data tag and hood paint. I see a lot of money going into this project but I'm hoping it'll be a good ride!!! Thanks Ken for your time and patience sir!!

My question is for anyone in Ohio who has registered one with only a bill of sale. Is it possible to do and if so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

rickf
General
General

Re: Registering in Ohio

Unread post by rickf » November 18th, 2023, 5:48 pm

Welcome Sundawg3, Glad to see you are getting into the M151 hobby but sorry to see you are finding out the hard way about govt. meddling. I am in NJ and if you did not buy it with a legal title then you are not going to get one, period. I certainly hope Ohio is a better place for titling. We have several members out that way so you should be hearing from them sometime soon.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » November 19th, 2023, 8:48 am

Sorry about raining on your parade.

Being an Ohio resident for all of my 66 years and owning military vehicles since I was 15, I am here to testify that the local staffs at the Clerk of Courts office and the Ohio DMV, take great pride in denying titles to any vehicle that has paperwork that doesn't conform to what they consider "normal". Unless the state that you purchased the vehicle from does not issue titles for vehicles up to a certain year (like Maine and others) or only requires the prior registration signed over (like California's Pink Slip), you are not getting a title. They will not help or guide you, that would be extra work. I mention Maine and California because I beat the "Bureau of Angry Women" on two vehicle purchases from these 2 states by proving that the paperwork that they deemed "sketchy" was actually the correct documentation. I did my research before going in and knew what each of these states required. They hate to be proven wrong when you tell them to grab that dusty manual off the top of the filing cabinet and flip to the State in question, where clear photos of appropriate transfer documents (by state) will be shown.

Unless Indiana allows a transfer by means other than a clear, conforming transferable title, you are in a pickle here. Your options are a Builder's Title (lots of receipts, documentations and inspections required), a Bonded Title, or a Court Ordered Title.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 19th, 2023, 6:29 pm

Probably going to have to title it out of state where the rules aren't quite as strict.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 19th, 2023, 8:22 pm

Sell it to TJ, he can title it in Texas and then sell it back to you with a Texas title. Or do the same with someone you know who lives in a state where they accept bills of sale to title a vehicle. Only kidding about TJ, that is totally up to him. I was just using that as a possible solution scenario.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

fergrn37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by fergrn37 » November 19th, 2023, 10:38 pm

DMV.InformationUnit@vermont.gov

Attempting to register a military surplus 1966 M151A1 1/4 ton truck. Form
VD-119 requires a NADA value. NADA does not list this vehicle. How do I get this taken care of?

R/

Tax on purchase price @ 6% = reg fees
Result is valid reg and plates. Then go see your state DMV.
Some people are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 20th, 2023, 3:42 am

Military Vehicle Magazine (maybe still Krause Publications?) used to have an advertiser who performed such a service and if memory serves, it was out of Louisiana. All legal and above board per the law in that state. As I said, some states have more favorable titling regulations where a service can get it done for you. It's been some time since I looked at a MV magazines so I'm not sure if they're still doing it. Worthy of investigation, I would think.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 20th, 2023, 11:49 am

Military Vehicle magazine is actually now Military Trader & Vehicles magazine and the publisher is Home Group Active Interest Media.

Yea, it is not what it used to be. The articles are still good but most of the trader stuff is German and nerd related memorabilia. The German stuff I can see but I am a bit on the outside on the nerd stuff since there are still Neo-nerd groups espousing the same crap. At a show I was at I saw a teenager in a full nerd outfit snap a nerd salute complete with the shouted Sieg Heil and he was immediately flattened by an older gentleman. I mean this guy hit him HARD. There are some things that do really need to be not forgotten but also not displayed.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » November 20th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Aw some of those old guys can still fight & hit hard.Jack Dempsey cold-cocked 2 guys who was trying rob him in NYC! The punch don't leave you!This posting might not be reverent.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Sundawg3 » November 20th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'm up to selling it to another person in a Mutt friendly state if I can get a title. Will pay all fees plus extra for the time. I now see how people get wrapped up in the Mutt. It's all I think about, already a few thousand in and still ordering parts.

Can't seem to find this drivers seat adjuster that's seized up or a website or parts manual that illustrates it. Anyone know?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 20th, 2023, 3:25 pm

Well, if the information on this service is of any interest, I'm sure I have some old MV Mags. I should be able to find it rather quickly. But, I'm terribly busy at the moment so this is something that may have to wait a day or two. I'm not gonna make the effort if no one asks for the into.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 20th, 2023, 5:51 pm

I am sure he wants the info, he is spending a lot of money on a vehicle that he technically does not own yet!!!! I think the govt. closed those loopholes for making it that easy to title through a proxy service. There is no way they can stop you from selling the vehicle to someone in a title friendly state though. Well, dang, Turns out it is not exactly what we wanted, would you buy it back from us? :roll: :roll: :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 20th, 2023, 7:27 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to categorically state that the Govt closed all loopholes. We are talking about very different laws in very different states with very different points of view and flexibility based upon what kind of revenue it generates. Yup, states with very different laws. What is acceptable in one state may be considered unacceptable in another state. I cannot say that I am particularly comfortable with it, but if another state's legislature is okay with it, who am I to say otherwise?

By way of example, consider all the Maine trailer plates you see on commercial motor vehicles. Each Main registration with a legitimate name, an address (99% of which are P.O. Boxes) and a phone number. Ask me how I know. Do you think that every semi trailer with a Maine token trailer license plate went to Maine to get it? Certainly not. Maine, being a comparatively small state, is more than happy to take money for their token trailer plates which, to them, has gotta be a cash cow. They hand them out like Halloween candy and as much as your theory suggests that something nefarious might be afoot because it seems too easy...well....it ain't. It's just the way things are being done.

Now, on a lark, I just googled Louisiana auto title service and the first business that popped up offers "assistance with other state titles & registrations"..and (the following comment is based on old information) Louisiana used to be one of the states where things were indeed EASY.

Don't know if these are the guys I previously spoke of but they ARE bonded so they're willing to put their money where their mouth is. Things like this are worthy of investigation if you're facing a brick wall. And let's face it...with a M151, PARTICULARLY with an M151, an owner is facing a very specific set of circumstances that do not fit nicely within the template for titling, particularly in stricter states such as Ohio....and you know what I used to do, Rick....and where... so this is more than just idle banter.

Anyhoo, it's not my problem.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on November 20th, 2023, 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sundawg3
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Sundawg3 » November 20th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Subtle hint taken TJ. I sent a message to the Louisiana place.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 20th, 2023, 11:01 pm

Bear in mind, that is the first one that came up. I'm sure there are others. Not sure which of my MVs I used such a service on, but it was pretty easy and painless.