Finally Progress!

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Finally Progress!

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 15th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Well I spent the last two weekends trying to get the tub painted. This was a challenge becuase I decided to go over the old paint instead of stripping to bare metal like a lot of you guys have done. I think I know why you guys went that route. I don't know what the hell was going on but for the life of me I couldn't get several areas clean enough for the paint. I tried everything I knew and finally settled with dawn and hot water. I used windex to ensure the soap film was gone and finally it was clean enough to make the paint and me happy. I was going to trailer the tub to work and use the paint booth but decided against the hassle and just did it in my shop. I thought for sure paint would end up with a lot of dust and dirt but it was surprisingly minimal and after the paint dried I used a tack cloth to pull the dust particles out of the paint. I have six coats of paint on the tub and used less than a gallon. I thinned out the paint @ 2:1. BTW the wheels will get painted later.

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Finally Progress!

Unread post by sarmadq » February 16th, 2009, 5:56 am

Did the old paint bubble up and peal when you coated it with a fresh coat :?: . I happen to have that problem on any part I paint. Anything not sanded down well peals away. The fresh paint coat acts as a painter remover.
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » February 17th, 2009, 8:05 am

Walmart has "Grease & Wax remover" in the automotive section. The Eastwood Company has a pre-cleaner. You can see what it looks like here:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/prod ... ctID=18408
Check with your local automotive paint store, and tell them what you are doing, and they will help you pick a pre-paint product.
It is a lot cheaper and quicker than having to repaint your project. Don't ask me how I know.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by cstaup » February 17th, 2009, 8:24 am

I use mineral spirits, have not had any paint failure..........yet
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » February 17th, 2009, 9:00 am

Looks great to me ....HTN
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » February 17th, 2009, 11:42 am

I use acetone for the final wipe down before painting.

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 17th, 2009, 10:56 pm

sarmadq wrote:Did the old paint bubble up and peal when you coated it with a fresh coat :?: . I happen to have that problem on any part I paint. Anything not sanded down well peals away. The fresh paint coat acts as a painter remover.
Didn't have a problem with the paint sticking or bubbling up. Just areas that were near impossible to clean so the paint wouldn't lay down. However I kept at it and won the battle. I had one area that looked as though it was going to give me a headache but I walked away and let the paint do its thing. It flowed out pefectly and you can't tell there was an issue.