Yet Another ID Number Mystery

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yet Another ID Number Mystery

Unread post by A45WV » January 29th, 2022, 12:33 am

I have purchased an M151A2 that purportedly was (so the story teller said) imported from Bien Hoa, Vietnam via Phnom Penh, Cambodia to the Los Angeles area of California--in 1982. It has a USMC front bumper and was marked as if it was an ARVN jeep (with an odd decimal number on the hood and a different decimal number on the right rear bumper).

After scouring this site, I believe I know all of the locations where body/ID tags should be--and so far, there are none on the vehicle. The only identifying plate on the jeep is the manufacturer data plate. Obviously, it could have come from anywhere (note the screws in the corners). Here's a photo of the plate:

As you can see, the plate seems to identify it as a Ford M151A2 delivered in December of 1970 under contract DAAE-06-68-C-0001. The ID number shown is KB93 36564. As best as I can tell, this number makes no sense. Based on numbering info I've found on this forum, I believe it should be something like: 02XX##70.

The vehicle has a clear California title using KB9336564 as the VIN. I guess I should be grateful that there is a clear title that I can transfer to Texas. Given all of this odd info, I'd appreciate any help or direction on how to proceed re finding some kind of real ID number for the vehicle. Here are a few other photos.

Last edited by A45WV on January 29th, 2022, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Re: Yet Another ID Number Mystery

Unread post by rickf » January 29th, 2022, 9:40 am

Nice looking A2! I can tell you it is not a 1970 A2 although I do not see any side drains so it may well be a Ford. The importation of these did happen, we have a member on here, Csmith, who has gotten a couple from there. But the Vietnamese are famous for adding bling to the 151 so it looks like someone else has already gotten to it and removed the chrome strips that are always on the door openings and the brush guards over the lights they always add. The body being perfectly straight does not surprise me. The Vietnamese bodymen are amazing people with what they can do with metal. And they do it with the minimum of tools. If you cannot find the Budd tag under the hood on the cowl or a tag on the trans tunnel you are not going to find any. Again, not surprising. I am pretty sure in Vietnam they removed all vestiges of anything USA or military from the vehicles. I am sure Csmith will chime in sooner or later and he will have first hand knowledge since he has business over there and knows a lot of the people that do this.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 29th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Nice jeep.

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » January 29th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Welcome, nice looking Mutt! If it indeed came over in 82 it may be much intact as it was at that time. We left a lot of them over there and many sat in the woods etc for decades rotting away and did not become sought after by the Vietnamese until the last 15-20 years when the economy opened up and a upper and middle class evolved. Now they are prestige vehicles with around 350 in the Saigon area alone. As Rick said the VN love to bling them up and if it was rebuilt within the last 15-20 years will have a lot of bondo skimmed over the metalwork as most is done by hand. They also mix parts between Straights, A1, A2's so most coming out in the last 15 years are mutt salad. If yours does not have the bondo or other signs of bling history like small screw holes along the top of the sides where they like to put chrome trim or on the front where they attach brush guards then it likely got moved out early or is from somewhere else. What are the markings on the engine and tranny, are they matching dates?

Mutt Guru will likely jump in and tell you about the data plate and if you do come by any other identifiers post them.

Otherwise just enjoy it, one of the coolest jeeps ever made!
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 29th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Would the number under the spare tire help?

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by A45WV » January 29th, 2022, 1:27 pm

csmith wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 12:42 pm
What are the markings on the engine and tranny, are they matching dates?

Mutt Guru will likely jump in and tell you about the data plate and if you do come by any other identifiers post them.
Here is the only tag I've been able to find so far. It is on the underside of the transmission/txfer case:

Of course, the top number on the tag seems to indicate an April 1988 timeframe...which would potentially negate the 1982 import story. Then again, it could have been a part that was installed here in the US after arrival. The mystery continues...

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by A45WV » January 29th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Hambone wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 12:52 pm
I'm going to dismount the spare and take a look there today! That was definitely one place left to check.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » January 29th, 2022, 3:00 pm

Does it have the emission style canister, tank and carburetor?
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by A45WV » January 30th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Hambone wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 12:52 pm
No numbers on the spare tire mount. Sigh...

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 30th, 2022, 4:48 pm

02KB 9370 - 36564 would have been a 2nd-series Ford A2. That plate is genuine, but the big question is.....does that dash dataplate belong to THAT vehicle?

Here's how to narrow the search:-
If it is a Ford A2, then there will be a body-tag on the firewall between the two hood hinges. If there is no tag visible, then look closely for the remains of that tag.
Even when the tag has been removed, there should be evidence of where the tag was..... spot-weld dimple(s).
If still no sign, then it's most likely an AM General A2 pre-emission controls model. Let us know what you find (or can't find).

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » January 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm

Nobody knows more about identifying 151's then Ken so you have the best on your team now!

The domestic stock of 151's is much better than anything coming out of VN in the last 20 years. While it would be great to have one from VN that may have been in the war unless it was removed within the first years after the war it most likely is a patchwork of metal and parts. Unlike Europe after WW2 most of the 151's were not coveted for decades as the average VN had no means, especially in the south which supported the US and was ignored by Hanoi until 25 years ago when they gained most favored nation status and the government opened up a capitalist's economy and much of the western capitol investment into VN happened in the south. Additionally, the unibody construction of the 151's and the thin metal used were not designed to last 45+ years in a wet humid environment. I have seen 151's pulled out of the jungle, likely where they last stopped, which looked like swiss cheese, only to be rebuilt in a dirt floor lean to shed with little more than an anvil, hammer and basic bender.

I am in the furniture industry and have been doing business in VN for 25 years, saw my first 151 one day on my way back into Saigon after a long day working at supplier factories, saw it driving thru town and always wanting an army jeep, said to my factory guy, hey can I buy one? The next day we went around town and found a guy selling them, made a deal, drove around Saigon that evening in it. When it came time to put it in our container of goods I could tell from the photos it was not the jeep I bought, my agent and factory guys meant well but did not know what they were doing, neither did I. In the 6 months between purchasing it and getting it here I educated myself, much with the help of Steve Owens of Owens Exports out of LA and once it arrived, while very cool, too much was remade and a mix of parts. I sold it within 3 months and went about buying one domestically which was original and far better. VN has really opened up in the last 10-15 years, tourist from US and Europe, so much stuff has been bought up, there used to be a great military surplus market in Saigon, now almost everything there is reproduction. You could buy a 151 for $2500 on the street, now they want $20,000 or more if you can find somebody willing to sell.

I have made many friends with the Vietnamese that own 151's and usually spend a day or so with them when in Saigon. These guys are very passionate about their mutts and really use them as they were intended to be used. They get together on weekends, trail ride like crazy, run them thru bogs and into the Saigon river, things most of us would never do, great bunch of guys. They welcomed me into their group like I was family. Haven't been in about 2 years due to CV19 and really miss the place.

I would say again the best tell if it came out of VN recently is bondo, take a magnet along the body, look for cracks, if neither are present you either have a VN mutt that came out early or a domestic mutt. From you photos it looks pretty good.

Either way, it is a winner!
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by A45WV » January 31st, 2022, 11:23 am

Horst wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 3:00 pm
Does it have the emission style canister, tank and carburetor?
No emission canister, emissions-control tank, or carburetor.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 31st, 2022, 12:16 pm

No carburetor? I am thinking you mean no emissions carburetor? What is the number cast into the top of the carburetor?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

A45WV
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by A45WV » January 31st, 2022, 12:52 pm

csmith wrote:
January 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm
Nobody knows more about identifying 151's then Ken so you have the best on your team now!
I agree, Ken seems to have all the data!
The domestic stock of 151's is much better than anything coming out of VN in the last 20 years. While it would be great to have one from VN that may have been in the war unless it was removed within the first years after the war it most likely is a patchwork of metal and parts. Unlike Europe after WW2 most of the 151's were not coveted for decades as the average VN had no means, especially in the south which supported the US and was ignored by Hanoi until 25 years ago when they gained most favored nation status and the government opened up a capitalist's economy and much of the western capitol investment into VN happened in the south. Additionally, the unibody construction of the 151's and the thin metal used were not designed to last 45+ years in a wet humid environment. I have seen 151's pulled out of the jungle, likely where they last stopped, which looked like swiss cheese, only to be rebuilt in a dirt floor lean to shed with little more than an anvil, hammer and basic bender.
Concur with all. The story I was told, had this truck coming out of VN in 1982...only 7 years after the end of the war. Supposedly an American veteran somehow got it shipped to the LA, CA area from (specifically mentioned) Bien Hoa, Vietnam via Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Reportedly was worked on by the American some. Never titled, it mostly sat in a storage building for quite a while until acquired in 2020 (via bill of sale) by a Vietnamese gentleman in Westminster, CA, who had it marked as an ARVN truck and went through the bonded title process in CA. It was reportedly quite popular in Veteran's Day parades in the Westminster area. I bought the truck from this Vietnamese fellow.

I know what you're saying about primitive, yet good/effective foreign workmanship. I worked in Oman for several years and was constantly amazed by what could be produced by Indian and Pakistani metal workers--with essentially hand tools and re-purposed metal. You could show them a photo of what you wanted and they could reproduce it (visually) perfectly. If you looked very closely though, you could tell there were already going to be issues related to use of mild steel and numerous welds going in all directions.
I would say again the best tell if it came out of VN recently is bondo, take a magnet along the body, look for cracks, if neither are present you either have a VN mutt that came out early or a domestic mutt. From you photos it looks pretty good.

Either way, it is a winner!
I have run a magnet over the entire body and cannot find anyplace that seems to be bondo. The driver's side rear corner, has a bit of a bondo look to it, but again--the magnet sticks pretty securely even there.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the story I was told. To your knowledge, was there ANY kind of trade going on between VN/Cambodia and the US in 1982? My memory (I would have been 20 years old at that time) is that everyone was still kind of pissed off with each other at that point.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 31st, 2022, 1:19 pm

I would be very, VERY skeptical of the story of how it got here. Think about this. The North Vietnamese over ran the country in 1975 and I can Guarantee you nothing came here from there at that point! Anything left behind was either destroyed by the communists or left in the jungle to rot. Second part of the story is the Phnom Penh part. Have you ever read "The Killing Fields"? The Khmer Rouge were "Reeducating" all of the people from that area and if those people refused or tried to get away they were killed. There was no talk of America, not even any thought of America. Any of that would get you killed. It is sad that the one person that did get away and was the main character of the book was killed recently on the street in Ca.

Personally I think this is a made up story to embellish the sale of the vehicle. Unless I saw a certified shipping invoice or Bill of lading I would call this a fake story. Just my opinion.
But does it really matter? It appears to be a very nice A2 so who cares where it came from?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed