Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

Unread post by m3a1 » April 27th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Well, Rick...out of allllll the cars in the Klairmont Kollection (including one very lonely Citroen) this is the car I believe probably most closely identifies with you. I can see you moving away from that toxic industrial wasteland (and they named it New Jersey because Toxic Industrial Wasteland wouldn't fit on the license plates) with all your possessions, all on one vehicle.

But seriously...

No. No... I WAS being serious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But SERIOUSLY seriously... this one is like one of those kid's games where you have to seek and find. There is something for everybody in these photos! Plenty in these photos to enjoy with your morning Cuppa Joe...

IMG_5876.jpg
IMG_5877.jpg
IMG_5878 (1).jpg
IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 28th, 2021, 8:55 am

Yep, that would be me! They talk about historically correct but did you happen to notice the radial tires on the model A? A wee bit larger than the originals and a bit before their time I think. And I am pretty sure someone took some artistic liberty with that rear fender. That is substantially larger, wider and newer than the vehicle, and they didn't have air brushes back then for the paint effects.
Yea, I know, I am a picky bastard!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 28th, 2021, 11:57 am

...and I see a lot of your tools rusting away on the floorboard. You really need to get organized! :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 28th, 2021, 1:16 pm

SOMEDAY our weather will clear up and I will get back to getting my half track sorted out. Until then, you will have to put up with more Elvis Collection....(and a teaser).

IMG_5353.jpg
IMG_5354.jpg
IMG_5355 (1).jpg
IMG_5356.jpg

Here's The Kid, posing with his teddy bear (but I think he's gonna need a bigger bed).

IMG_5343 (2).jpg

Actually, on our road trip we stayed at Memphis' Pyramid which was formerly a very elaborate sports venue. Luckily, my wife's employer pays to keep rooms reserved there and we managed to get booked on the QT (and at the corporate rate!) after being turned away on our first phone inquiry. Any other time, I would have considered their usual price (even at their corporate rate) completely out of reach. Happily, or unhappily, depending upon your point of view, my wife has been on the dreaded Covid Front Lines from Day 1 and she was ready to play...with Beau and I along for the ride. So we slept in high style in Memphis.

The mattress and the pillows were so gooooooood!

The Pyramid, which is mostly a hollow structure and was a BIG financial loser for the City of Memphis, was leased by Bass Pro Shop (reportedly for 55 years!) and they changed it into a something rather unique. They cleared the entire first floor, installed a Super-Duper Bass Pro Shop with a much bigger selection.....and surrounded it, three floors high, with their hotel, constructed on what I imagine had been upper tiers and 'sky-boxes' for the filthy rich. So, that part of the structure became The Big Cypress Lodge which artfully (and cleverly) overlooks the retail end of things. You can go out on the interior balcony (yeah, there's an exterior balcony too) and browse, even when the store is closed...provided you brought your binoculars. They did a mighty fine job of it. Think, DUBAI with tree bark instead of Swarovski crystal. It's just another place where people will pay to get to.... just so they can shop.

All this....to shop! Humanity really is doomed.

Well, to be entirely fair, anyone can go in and shop, and eat, and drink, and go bowling and fool around at the shooting gallery and watch the fishies swim around in circles without paying to spend the night. No matter who you are, Bass Pro knows your money is green and Dear Reader, they are more than willing to take it. :lol:

Still, we were just looking for a room for the night. My usual choice would have been Motel 6 or even better, drive all day and night so as to avoid the expense of overnight accommodation. Paying for a place to snooze, no matter how uppity it may be, just goes against my sensibilities. (I'm used to being dead broke and I weigh every expense against potential purchases of useful tools or necessary MV parts.) If that makes me a cheapskate, my reply is, GUILTY AS CHARGED, but you KNOW that attitude is not gonna make Doc happy when she's on vacation. I'm retired, so every day is potentially a Vacation Day, but the Doc....not so much....not after wading through all this Covid BS. So, we splurged and I wisely kept my danged mouth shut.

The Big Cypress Lodge is appointed in the same way that much of their stores are; very outdoorsy (but in an upscale, Disneyesque kinda way). Presently, the whole place is suffering from the great spoiler of fun (COVID) but by all other appearances, it really rocks when things are normal and despite the threat of La Rona, in the morning checking out is somewhat hampered by a line of people who are masked up and waiting to go inside to shop.

Anyway, stay tuned for some pics of the place. It's pretty interesting.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m3a1 on April 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 28th, 2021, 6:05 pm

You BETTER keep your mouth shut, it is HER money!!!!!!! Remember, she is supporting your lazy butt now.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm

The thought HAD occurred to me. :wink:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 1:06 pm

The weather finally went right over the cliff and became a full fledged storm. It built to a roaring crescendo last night and now, somewhat abated, our rain continues into the day today. Meanwhile, the half track patiently waits for better weather.

In the wee hours, it sounded like someone was testing nukes in our backyard. Rarely have I heard thunder like that. The critters we keep as pets around here all scattered for cover except for my Best Dog, Cooper. Cooper apparently decided if he had to die, he wanted to do it at my side. Bless his little doggy heart! So, he came up on the bed and snuggled up tight. REALLY tight. Wrapped in my new dog-fur jammies, I drifted off to sleep with visions of nuclear armageddon in my head and poofing to keep the dog hair out of my mouth.

Meanwhile, my wife was apparently playing full contact sports with one of the patients at the hospital because she came home with what will probably turn out to be an awesome shiner. Haven't got the whole story yet but the job ain't all starched white lab coats and bright, shiny stethoscopes. Nope.

Anyhoo... Here's a bit of Pyramid/Big Cypress Lodge for your entertainment, because it IS impressive and worth a peek.

The outside of the pyramid is impressive, as is the outer balcony, which is big enough for a tennis court (literally). Remember, this structure didn't begin its life as a hotel so some things have very impressive (and ridiculous) proportions as compared to purpose-built hotels.

IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

Dead center on the inside is what is billed as America's tallest, free-standing elevator. That's 300 feet of steel and glass and LED illumination, designed to impress and transport you 28 stories to a viewing platform, from which Memphis is visible. Naturally, it was closed (La Rona, again.) Impressive, nonetheless. I didn't want to see Memphis from above anyway, much less pay more money for a check-the-box experience.

Cheapskate!

IMG_5326.jpg

Equally tall and equally impressive, here we find The Kid in his natural habitat, which is - seated on....um.... something. Where's the video games?!! I do make fun of him (a lot) but after twenty years, he's actually kinda grown on me. I guess I'll keep him. :lol: Sometimes I think he doubts that, but it's true.

IMG_5344.jpg

Breakfast at Bass Pro's restaurant. The fare was disappointing, to say the least. :( By way of comparison, think of food quality just a bit below that of Denny's, but as always, BPS earned high marks for interesting decor. Unfortunately, you can't EAT decor! I'm not talking free continental breakfast which is expected to be sub-par, either. This was a you-pay-for-it-here-and-now breakfast. I guess they had to make cuts somewhere and this is one of the places they decided to pinch a penny. So, we ate just a little to fortify ourselves and then Doctor Mom practiced a little 'retail therapy' while I trudged back to the room to get our gear together. It was a LONG walk...both ways!

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and You Can't Eat Decor! ARE YOU LISTENING, BASS PRO SHOPS?!!

IMG_5338.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Yeah, I'm showing you a bowling alley. But COME ON!... Highest marks for creative effort. When was the last time you rolled a bowling ball down what looks exactly like water, after sticking your hand in a man-eater's mouth?! Even the balls are in keeping with the theme. :shock:

IMG_5332.jpg
IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5334.jpg
IMG_5336.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Okay, this is gonna be a wrap for the Pyramid. It's certainly worthy of a visit if you are anywhere near there. I think one of the things that captured my attention (aside from the immensity of it) was the level of imagination, design and the attention to detail which was to be found everywhere.... EXCEPT for the food my breakfast table. :cry:

It all works together to carry the whole theme off. There's a lesson in there, somewhere....especially for those of us who like to show our MVs along with some artifacts we have collected along the way. There's a strong, identifiable theme going on that ties it all together...something more than just quantity.

Enjoy one last look.

IMG_5340.jpg
IMG_5341.jpg
IMG_5339.jpg
IMG_5342.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 1:45 pm

And now, to get back to things with wheels, just a touch of weird from the Elvis Collection. Normally, trikes don't interest me in the least but (aside from the bloody AWFUL tail lights which look like an afterthought) this is pretty good. Enjoy.

IMG_5359.jpg
IMG_5358.jpg
IMG_5357.jpg

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 29th, 2021, 2:58 pm

THAT is an oldie there! Now I know you had to notice some of the details that make that a rather interesting trike. I built and owned several of them but they all had modified engines on them. And don't think I didn't see the sign in front of the trike. I am sure that sign was pointed out to you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 6:02 pm

Believe it or not, Elvis was 'in good' with the cops. He was even on the local anti crime unit (probably only honorably so, but what the heck.) In Graceland, they display his many LE badges and ID cards.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 29th, 2021, 6:50 pm

I wasn't talking about the description sign for the trike, which by the way is totally wrong! That is NOT a 1600 engine!! Didn't I mention to look at details Mr. detail himself? And the sign I was talking about is the huge honkin' Mercedes sign on the wall!

The engine is more likely a 1200 and possibly even a 36 horse. Not the single port heads, the 28 pic carburetor, the 6 volt generator and regulator, the 6 volt battery and the 6 volt meter. 36 horse fan shroud, which was a popular conversion when no heat was needed so that is not a clue but just a note. Swing arm suspension and not C/V dates it pre 67 on the transmission also. AND............ it is missing the dipstick. :roll: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Oh, THAT sign. Well, my guess is whatever concern is governing all this Elvis money has gotten some sponsors on board to help with the funding. So yeah, you're going to see some billboards in there that are in keeping with some of the big-buck cars on the floor. And since you are looking in that direction....

IMG_5364.jpg
IMG_5365.jpg

This afternoon I caught the Doc up on my recent postings. She woke up today with only the slightest hint that she had gotten socked in the face and I was anxious to see the results. All is well. Apparently she too was taken with the big bear so she sent over a few photos SHE took... directing that I share them with you. Doctor's orders!

These are the final photos from the Big Cedar Lodge. Enjoy.

IMG_0582.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg
63940178605__6939CEB9-3B6F-40E2-9BBB-3B019EF53906.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 29th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Okay, gentlemen, this is your cuppa Joe morning edition.....straight from the Klairmont Kollection.

Save The Trees!

NO, DON'T SAVE THE TREES!....because they seem to make very fine automobiles!

Enjoy!

IMG_5500.jpg
IMG_5501.jpg
IMG_5502.jpg
IMG_5504.jpg
IMG_5505.jpg