WIKI Vandalism

have questions, suggestions, gripes for the site administrator? This is the place for those.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

WIKI Vandalism

Unread post by Rainman » July 21st, 2010, 6:45 pm

I am concerned with anonymous wiki modifications on the G838.org forum. Horst has worked very hard providing a record for reference available to all. With the urging of Horst, I too have logged in and modified a few small things pertaining to known dates of accessories of the early M151, and transitional information between the early and A1 variants that are believed to have taken place during 1963 and 1964. While all Horst's entries contain his name in the byline, as do mine, some do not. Some of Horst's and my revisions have been removed or altered with only "63.25.201.86" as the identity of the individual making the changes. No addition of information has been made to improve the content, just removal of information, that apparently "63.25.201.86" disagrees with. While I am not an all knowing guru of early M151's, I do have a very original 1964 Kaiser that was born with some A1 traits. Why is it that some modifications are 'signed by the author', yet some can be made anonymously? Because being a member or being logged in is not required to make changes to the wiki. I personally feel all changes to the wiki should be credited to the member making the revision. Allowing anonymous wiki entries by non members leaves the entire wiki open to edit vandalism.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Re: WIKI Vandalism

Unread post by SEABEE62 » July 21st, 2010, 8:38 pm

Wasn't aware of this, and we appreciate you both as watch dogs.....would the changes damage anything ???? or just someone who thinks they know what they are doing, with out an id to prove it. Myself....I believe whats in the wiki is way more than I know. Thanks for the heads up. Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 22nd, 2010, 7:39 am

That is the problem with a wiki, anyone who thinks they know better can change things. That can lead to misinformation at best and dangerous situations at worst.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » July 22nd, 2010, 11:31 am

So..........can we make it so that for any "changes"...you have to enter your real name ( under cover ), then use the handle you use on this site as the author ????? Seabee
MVPA#32091

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » July 22nd, 2010, 3:11 pm

Rainman: Thanks for the update on the problem. I have too agree that if you intend to alter or create WIKI material you should be a member of the site and required to sign in at the very least.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » July 22nd, 2010, 5:34 pm

I hope what I did was to help to identify the possibility of a problem, not draw attention to the lack of security in that area of the site. The information won't be lost or destroyed exactly if vandalized, but might have to be restored from a previous date. Measures of security are possible, though it might require a supervisor to approve each new revision. I'd think being a logged in member would also be a possibility, but alas, I'm just the complainer, not the problem solver in this instance. Maybe that's what I am in other instances too. :oops:
Rainman

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » July 22nd, 2010, 5:58 pm

No Rainman....we all need an observer to point things out. Thats why they have 8 men on a work crew to stand around watching 2 men do the work.....8 to watch and catch problems or falling hammers !!!! Seabee
MVPA#32091

artillerydan
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by artillerydan » September 20th, 2010, 11:22 pm

I have started to worry about this A LOT! I have been uploading lots of reference material and adding more pages.... etc...etc.. But some jerk could just as easily erase the whole page or??? I know I have spent a quite a few hours compiling the right pictures for things and other. Not that scanning the various USMC documents I posted did not need to happen any way but I did it mostly to share my collection of information with the group. The main problem for me as I see it, would be all this information has taken YEARS! For all of us to accumulate into one cohesive group of flowing information and can be destroyed in seconds. :shock:
43 WLA Harley
44 M24 Chaffee Tank
44 M19 Dual 40mm "Duster"
62 M151
62 M114 ARV
64 M151A1
70 M151A2 Ford Early - USMC
71 M151A2 Ford
74 M151A2 ARMY FAV
75 MC4000 Forklift
77 M151A2 Army CAV
78 M151A2 W/TOW
79 M718A1 USMC
82 M151A2 USMC FAV x2
91& 03 M1030 USMC
96 CUCV II Tahoe
99 M1031B1 USMC
MVPA 7411
M151jeep.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 21st, 2010, 10:21 am

Welcome to the internet. A WIKI is what it is, a thread that can be changed by anyone. It has always been this way and always will be. If everyone is so worried then maybe we can start a locked thread that has the information in it. no one can add to it without Mooses permission.

I may be speaking out of turn but I have never been known for being PC now have I. You have jumped in here as the de facto expert on M-151's. When you snub Ken a lot of people take notice if not offense. You have less than 200 posts and looking back at some of your questions you are no expert. I am not slamming you or trying to defame you in any way but you might want to ease up a little. Also, there is no war between the sites, I post on the 503 just as much as on here as do a lot of our other members. Look back at the history of the sites and if anyone should be bitter it would be me but I am not. Looking at your list of vehicles I would guess you spend a lot of time there. We appreciate all info on 151's but please do not try to trump someone else's hard work.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » September 21st, 2010, 10:42 am

Hey AD,
The powers that be will make the decisions, but it may be some consolation that what you put up won't exactly be lost if the worst were to happen, it will be stored as a previous version and will be retrievable. Just a major pain if some anonymous person does the changes as has been done to some minimal extent already. I have had to read, re-read and compare older versions to see what and when things, sometimes just a word here and there were changed by anonymous people. With just a "log in" requirement we could at least see who does what and limit the vandals. Restoring an old version will be a pain, but it won't be totally erased, nor will you be notified if it is changed. We all benefit from the work done on the WIKI, thanks to all who have contributed to make it what it is. Like Rick said, the ability of all to change it is what makes it a WIKI. We can just hope those that make changes are correct, and not just out to cause grief or perpetuate misguided falsehoods.
Rainman

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 21st, 2010, 11:28 am

I have not control over any of the inner workings of the website. Basically, Dan and I were enlisted to delete spam. That being said, anyone who intentionally vandalizes our WIKI, well, I think we should burn their barn, kill their dog, and salt their garden. :x
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

artillerydan
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by artillerydan » September 21st, 2010, 11:35 am

rickf wrote:Welcome to the internet. A WIKI is what it is, a thread that can be changed by anyone. It has always been this way and always will be. If everyone is so worried then maybe we can start a locked thread that has the information in it. no one can add to it without Mooses permission.

I may be speaking out of turn but I have never been known for being PC now have I. You have jumped in here as the de facto expert on M-151's. When you snub Ken a lot of people take notice if not offense. You have less than 200 posts and looking back at some of your questions you are no expert. I am not slamming you or trying to defame you in any way but you might want to ease up a little. Also, there is no war between the sites, I post on the 503 just as much as on here as do a lot of our other members. Look back at the history of the sites and if anyone should be bitter it would be me but I am not. Looking at your list of vehicles I would guess you spend a lot of time there. We appreciate all info on 151's but please do not try to trump someone else's hard work.

Rick
I have NOT "jumped in as the defacto expert on M151s"????? :roll:

"When you snub Ken a lot of people take notice if not offense" - ARE YOU ACTUALLY READING MY POSTS????? :( I talk with Ken about every three weeks about info, building his information base as well as mine.

So what if i have less than 200 posts. What does that have to do with anything? There could be a guy out there that knows more than ALL of us and only has 1 post. :?

No... you are slamming me.

Well the site to site issue is an issue ....obviously otherwise you would not have gotten fired up. I posted on the G503 referencing THIS site.. I did not want to fall into the lable of "pushing people from that site to this one". Thats all..... :( :( Did I single you out.... No.. But your comments act like I did??? Reflect on this whole post of yours, your bitter or pissed or??? Otherwise why would you have even posted anything. If you take everything that is said as a personal attack, your going to think everyone is against you. Hell I really do not even know who the pissing contest was or is with between the sites. I don't read those posts. I see lots of people commenting sooo obviously it has traction.

AGAIN NO ONE IS TRYING TO TRUMP anyone's work (Its called working together to try and pound out the little or big gray areas. You are the one on the offensive here. (When there is nothing going on to take offense to), I did not realize that trying to add to the site would be seen as some kind of subversive "snubbing" tactic. It has been said a 1000 times. The internet has no way of exspessing emotion, So you don't know I am not being an ass or if I am. 10 people could read the same thing and have 10 different opinions on what was meant by just "reading" something. Short answer is I am NOT pulling anyones chain or anything derogitory. At least not on purpose.

Really disappointed that posting is viewed with such a negative connotation. If you actually knew me, you would not even have said anything. Everything I do is for this hobby, and preserving these vehicles and what they stand for. I have been collecting since the mid 80s and have been everything from a dealer with an 80 vehicle inventory to a collector with 3 vehicles. I am NOT playing any games. I am NOT trying to "trump" anyone elses work. Every other week I am by myself without kids. I spend that time working on or researching something related to this hobby.

I will not respond again to anything like this. This is a waste of everyone time and a blight on the content of this site. Since you made your comment public, my response needed to be public. :(
43 WLA Harley
44 M24 Chaffee Tank
44 M19 Dual 40mm "Duster"
62 M151
62 M114 ARV
64 M151A1
70 M151A2 Ford Early - USMC
71 M151A2 Ford
74 M151A2 ARMY FAV
75 MC4000 Forklift
77 M151A2 Army CAV
78 M151A2 W/TOW
79 M718A1 USMC
82 M151A2 USMC FAV x2
91& 03 M1030 USMC
96 CUCV II Tahoe
99 M1031B1 USMC
MVPA 7411
M151jeep.com

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » September 21st, 2010, 12:03 pm

Hey Raymond,
Therein lies the root of this problem. No log in is required to change or add to the G838.org WIKI, so even non-members have complete control anonymously. Maybe I haven't been perfectly clear, but it is the anonymous part that makes me so uneasy. We can see what and when a person made the changes, just not who did it. Any 3rd grader at a public library could go in and re-write the WIKI so it would seem that an M151 is a peddle car with 3 wheels and anti-lock disc brakes, driven only on Christmas by Santa Claus. Requiring a log in would limit the changes to logged in members and then we'd at least see the user name of that damn 3rd grader. :D
Rainman

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 21st, 2010, 12:16 pm

The post was not meant to start a war. I do know several people who do not even post on here that know more than anyone on here. I can see by your collection that you are an avid hobbyist. I am not on the offense, if I were you would damn well know it. It will make you happy to know that I WILL be talked to for this post by the administrator I am sure. I don't think you singled me out, I really would not care if you did. I have thick skin. You just go ahead and do your thing and I will do mine. I need some time away from this freakin zoo anyway. Been a lot of experts here lately, let them answer the questions for a while. I was only pointing out behavior that might turn off people towards you. Time to stop looking out for others and look out for number one.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed