Transfer case

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ldj1002
Sergeant
Sergeant

Transfer case

Unread post by ldj1002 » April 3rd, 2010, 2:44 pm

I am replacing my differential because it is whining. While under there I noticed the output yokes on the transfer case have a good bit of play, slop or what ever, the front more than the rear. Is there anything in there that can be replaced to fix that without pulling the power unit?

Now I am wondering if that is where the noise might be instead of differential? I doubt it because it sure sounds from rear, not by my feet.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Transfer case

Unread post by raymond » April 3rd, 2010, 5:57 pm

A lot of the noise comes from the fact that the differentials are mounted directly to the frame with no rubber isolation pads. The rear differential is mounted directly under the rear floor board and the floor acts like a big speaker.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

67mutt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Transfer case

Unread post by 67mutt » April 4th, 2010, 1:57 pm

The rear diff's are noisy. I've tried to put rubber buffers between the diff. and frame. It did reduce the noise, but it would "clunk" on takeoff like something was loose. It also developed a somewhat muffled vibration, like an out of ballance drive shaft. I removed the buffers because if the "clunk" was caused by the diff shifting, or torquing on acceleration, it might break a mounting ear, or bolt. (at the worst possible moment of course). I just decided to live with the noise. It's always in the back of my mind, though, how normal is this noise? No other 151's around here (that I know of) to compare to. My drive shaft yokes seem to be like yours. The front is about twice as loose as the rear one. The yokes just slide out once you remove the drive shafts. I just checked them for any cracks and obvious worn spots. They seemed OK so I put them back. If they are really sloppy, it will cause the seal to leak from excess vibration. BTW, mine is a '67 A1. Also, the fill and drain plugs on the diff's have a magnet in the end of them. If there is a problem, you will have a big ball of metal flakes on it. Its OK to have a little there from normal wear. If in doubt, take the plug, with the flakes still on it, to a trusted mecanic and ask them if it looks abnormal for the milage on the vehicle. good luck!
Bob