Where can I find footman loops??

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Where can I find footman loops??

Unread post by Motorcityman » April 12th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I'm missing several on my MUTT. I've seen the WW2 type but never see the flat ones that get spot welded on. I was thinking about making some with my hydraulic press out of some rod but if I can buy them outright I'd rather, time is money ya know. Joe

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Where can I find footman loops??

Unread post by WC Matt » April 12th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Motorcityman
the only footman loops for the mutt that I've seen for sale where the "bolt on" type. I've purchased them from both Saturn surplus and FLMV. They come in two varaties large (gerry can strap)& small (windshield strap).

Just a thought here, could you use one of the above size loops, weld it to your mutt using the bolt holes in sort of a "tac weld' fashion?

Regards,
WC

Chef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Where can I find footman loops??

Unread post by Chef » April 12th, 2009, 4:47 pm

I have not ever seen any of the weld on ones for sale.
What I have done is take the shorter bolt on ones that are available and smash the ends flat with a hammer. The hole in the center is great for welding them on. If you use a high enough heat and grind off the dimple, no one will ever tell the difference between an original and a made up one. In fact, if you look at the ends of the weld on ones they look as if they started out as bolt on ones and were flattened. The heads mushroom out the same.