Recreating an M151 Log Book

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ODRotorHead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Recreating an M151 Log Book

Unread post by ODRotorHead » March 11th, 2024, 2:29 am

Don't know if anyone else might be interested in this, but a few weeks ago I read a series of posts on Steel Soldiers from guys who wanted to reconstruct logbooks for their MVs. That piqued my interest so I scrounged up an old 1972 copy of TM 38-750 (TAMMS) to see if I could figure out which documents should be in an M151 log book from that era.

The basic set of 2408 series "historical records" include:

TM 38-750 - MAY 1978 Page E-11 002.jpg

I couldn't find usable copies of those documents so I scanned versions from the TAMMS manual and used them as templates. The "new" versions are embedded in the Word document posted below. The standard page size is 6.5" x 9.5". If you print on paper and use two-sided printing the images will not produce a "military flip". You'll want to print on card stock. The idea is to print one page at a time and manually flip and rotate the card for the second page. All of the images are perfectly centered, so if your printer is set up correctly, you should get both sides in correct alignment. There are faint gray lines at the margins to help with cutting. I haven't handled an Army log book for almost forty-five years, but if my memory serves me, the first document, the DA Form 2408 - Equipment Log Assembly, was printed on off-white card stock.

DA 2408 - 1977 (I haven't been able to find an earlier version - looking for one from 70, or 73.)
DA 2408-1 - 1967
DA 2408-5 - 1964
DA 2408-9 - 1972 (I haven't found a page 2, so I'm assuming the second page is blank. Let me know.)
DA 2408-10 - 1964
DA 2408-14 - 1964

Note - If you downloaded this file prior to 24 Mar, there was a mistake on page 2 of DA Form 2408. The current file (same file name) has been corrected. My apologies for the error.

DA Form 2408 Series 002.docx

I didn't spend much time in the Motor Pool. My knowledge of Army maintenance record keeping is limited. I'm hoping someone might be able to let me know what other documents I should be looking for to produce a complete a log book.

There are .pdf versions of TM 38-750 available on line. If you decide to put a look book together - reenacting, static display, educational programs, keeping a record of your own maintenance, etc. - you can find a lot of the information (terminology, nomenclature, and codes) you'll need in the TAMMS manual.

TM 38-750 - MAY 1978 Page C-4 002.jpg

TM 38-750 - MAY 1978 Page A-11 001 Combo.jpg

If there's even just one lone soul out there in MUTT Land who might be interested in this, let me know. : )

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.