Little advice please

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

09FordRanger
Corporal
Corporal

Little advice please

Unread post by 09FordRanger » October 16th, 2023, 4:06 pm

Looking for some advice here. My winter project is to drop the rear differential on my ’66 A1 and put in a new set of seals. Also take off both rear wheel drive shafts and yokes (grease and new u-joints) and tackle the wheel spindles. My question is anything else I should do once I have the rear end apart. I am, at best, shade-tree skill level and older than dirt so nothing crazy. The jobs I'm planning on doing all seem like something I can handle with the -20. I don’t want to put it back together and have someone ask me “did you change out the bazola valve while you had that stuff out? Too bad. Lot more work now.” Happened before so I thought I’d check. Thanks for any insights.

rickf
General
General

Re: Little advice please

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2023, 7:17 pm

You pretty much have it covered, I would add to the list to pop the axles apart at the threaded sleeve on the axle and clean out all the old hard as a rock grease and clean them up real well and lube them up by hand and reassemble and then follow the -20 and Lube Order to grease them correctly. If you are not aware, the main driveshaft will only have a very little play to slide into the transmission to remove the shaft from the yokes. If you do take the shaft out and you take that yoke off the transmission you will find the fastest way to drain the transmission. LOL. But what I am getting at is when you reinstall that sliding yoke it should give a lot of resistance to sliding on the shaft. This is due to the air trapped between the plug in the yoke and the output shaft. DO NOT FORCE IT!!!!! Just gently push it in and it will slowly go in as the air escapes. If you force it or especially tap it you will pop the plug out of the yoke and then it will leak. That plug will not go back in. I have TIG welded them in but if you mig weld it you will weaken the yoke or warp it. Better to just use patience.

Also be sure to check the differential vent to make sure it is clear. If it is clogged you will have constant diff seal leaks.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » October 17th, 2023, 5:19 am

hi

it is a bit of work if you have the diff from the mutt you can change it with the front one

the front diff has not work the same mile`s on load as the rear one

if you take the grease niple from the shaft not the yoke it go easy off and on grease it after mounting

look where the grease nipple sit at the yoke`s so you put them at the right side

george

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 17th, 2023, 12:38 pm

09FordRanger wrote:
October 16th, 2023, 4:06 pm
Looking for some advice here. My winter project is to drop the rear differential on my ’66 A1 and put in a new set of seals. Also take off both rear wheel drive shafts and yokes (grease and new u-joints) and tackle the wheel spindles. My question is anything else I should do once I have the rear end apart. I am, at best, shade-tree skill level and older than dirt so nothing crazy. The jobs I'm planning on doing all seem like something I can handle with the -20. I don’t want to put it back together and have someone ask me “did you change out the bazola valve while you had that stuff out? Too bad. Lot more work now.” Happened before so I thought I’d check. Thanks for any insights.
My advice? Start here - viewtopic.php?t=10252&hilit=waking+up+a ... &start=150

Cheers,
TJ