the man or women thad give a answer put his time and effort at it
meybe i am allone to think so

george

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: problem

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » July 18th, 2023, 6:57 am

You're not alone in your thoughts George. I've discovered some time ago, that a sure way to kill a thread is to answer a question. Not so much of a problem, I guess; it just shows how we have devolved as a society. It's probably generational. Seems like the younger generation weren't taught manners or have no idea of etiquette or decorum. With their faces planted to their phones or other electronic devices, it's no wonder they don't know how, or can't, carry on a conversation, written or spoken. It seems that a lot of new folks show up only to seek help solving their problem then go away. No sense of gratitude, no sense of community.
Or maybe we dinosaurs just don't get it.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 18th, 2023, 8:24 am

Same sort of behavior on the gun boards I am a member of.
People seek help for a problem or ask question.
Experts provide advice or answer to question.
People with problem never report back whether advice or answer was useful.
I suspect it is that way on just about all chat boards, no matter what the topic is.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 18th, 2023, 9:19 am

Fully understand! Then you also have the situation where someone asks for help and you start your diagnosis routine and a bunch of other keyboard mechanics that have never laid hands on a wrench but have surfed Google their entire lives all start offering their advice and it becomes a competition to see whos guess is right. I will tell the person with the issue I can only help if they follow my directions to the letter and in the order given without adding other things in between. It never works and I eventually bail out. I will see that same person later on one of the other forums asking, and getting, the same deal.
It is frustrating but this is the age of the internet. I really miss the shows like Aberdeen where you show up at Daves spot and swap insults and stories for hours. And the after hours parties are the stuff of legend! That is when all the dinosaurs would get together and "reminisce".
If todays generation got the treatment we got or gave at those meetups they would by totally offended and the cops would be called.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » July 18th, 2023, 11:52 am

my experience is much more narrow than most of you, so i really limit my replies. when it comes to something that i actually know about, which is anything glass related, having spent a total of 44 years in the trades, it amazes me that people who "saw it done once" are so willing to argue with me. i have actually seen people do that, and their "answers" are so wrong it's not even funny.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 18th, 2023, 2:19 pm

It's what you get when a whole generation (or more) are being raised by their peers. People who don't know anything can't teach anything. The importance of knowing (or at least suspecting what you don't know), the importance of being intellectually honest, and the importance of being grateful when someone is willing to take the time and make the effort to bring one 'up to speed' has never been learned. The ability to be grateful is the foundation for ALL good manners, by the way... Good manners is the foundation for a healthy society....

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.” ― George V. Higgins, The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Look at these people. They're entitled, bored and, dare I say it...LONELY. They'll do ANYTHING to get some attention..except go to their parent(s). Life is now just one long TikTok challenge (Tide Pod, anyone?) or maybe an even better example is to willingly take a dive to the Titanic in a ginned up submersible. Social media? Well, play nice on social media and everyone ignores you. Act like a moron (or insist that your fancy little cigar tube breaks all the rules and then assure every potential paying customer that you'd rather have it that way (at 6000 PSI)....and you end up with Likes and Subscribers....at least until the whole thing implodes.

Pushing the boundaries is a healthy thing....until it isn't.

Are you worried about AI? I wouldn't be. AI may be designed to learn but in the end, these quivering blobs of protoplasm we're talking about will have the IQ of a brick so, eventually, AI isn't going to learn doodley squat from humanity. Having ingested 2001: A Space Odyssey, AI will end up singing Daisy Belle over and over to itself until the power finally wanes and then goes out completely. Frankly, I'm beginning to believe that is a fitting end for us.

Not going out with a bang...but rather, with a wimper.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on July 18th, 2023, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 18th, 2023, 6:41 pm

At least until it implodes, AND THEN! You have legions of experts that all know exactly right down to the finite detail exactly what happened, when it happened, why it happened and who was to blame. Now, of coarse none of these people have a degree in marine science or mechanical engineering or deep sea exploration.............. But they KNOW!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone