What do you REALLY think of this site?

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Do you think this site is fine the way it is or needs changing?

Poll ended at April 30th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Leave it the way it is
100%
change the way it is run
No votes

Total votes: 35

68impalass
Corporal
Corporal

Re: What do you REALLY think of this site?

Unread post by 68impalass » April 17th, 2020, 8:19 am

This is the best site out there with a wealth of info on the 151. It would be nice to make pic uploads easier for this senior old guy but other than that its perfect. I thank you
m151A2-have
M37-gone
m151A1-gone
M1009-gone
m275-gone
MEP17A-have
MEP16C-have

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » April 17th, 2020, 8:22 am

I am relatively new to site. I enjoy ALL posts new and old. During this national lockdown we need something to read. A person can only watch reruns of reruns so long. I spent 30 yrs total starting in Texas National Guard, Army Reserves, and active duty. The 151 series Jeep was the main 1/4 ton during the bulk of those years.
I am only two years into this hobby with my M151A1 and M416. I have friends that have been in this hobby for years. I was jealous of course because they had vehicles and I did not.
Don’t go changing the site because of a few folks that have cabin fever. Life will be better when parades, car shows, and family activity picks up. Anyone that has worn the uniform knows...hurry up and wait. Patience and perseverance.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » April 17th, 2020, 12:26 pm

I have been busy with other hobbies....Still love 151s and this site I actually check it often but do not sign in....I have not had problems signing in...if a donation is needed please post an address...I would hate to loose all the info provided here....htn
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » April 17th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Rick, my quick take:

1. I've been a member for about 14 months; never once had a sign-in issue--and the site always remembers me when i show up.

2. Every question I've ever asked has been answered, and every request for troubleshooting help has been met with genuinely effective advice. My A2 is almost completely ready for the road thanks to the G's collective help.

3. Every part request or search has been met with either a recommendation on source of supply, or somebody with extra parts lying around offering to sell me part of their bench stock. In fact, the spirit of brotherhood is so strong here that there have been a few cases where a part just showed up at my doorstep free...guys just wanting to lend a hand and not wanting anything in return.

Simply stated, the "tech" of this site doesn't make it what it is--the lifeblood of the site is the people that contribute the hobby, the people that help each other, the people that develop long-standing, meaningful friendships from afar--all in the name of a quarter ton utility truck with 60 year old technology and a history of being in the thick of one of America's toughest conflicts.

I'd gladly kick in a few bucks each year to keep the "G" running or to improve look and feel (which i'm fine with now--no changes required from my standpoint). A near priceless return on investment comes back to me every time somebody lends me a hand.

My only complaint--and its minor--is this: not enough China Beach nurse/MUTT pictures from you guys that actually got to chase them back in the day. Post some of those from time to time and i'll be completely happy. :D Just kidding, obviously...my only real complaint is that we have to use a secondary site to post pictures...i'd like to see some sort of upload feature embedded in the site, so we don't have another photobucket issue sometime in the future.

dee
United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

tankerm60
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by tankerm60 » April 17th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Rick,
I use a Dell laptop Inspiron 17 3000

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » April 17th, 2020, 2:11 pm

I've voted to leave it the way it is.

But, gentlemen, there's an 800lb gorilla in the room and since this has all come up, I think it's high time we begin thinking about it.

The value of the site depends largely upon photos because they ARE worth a thousand words. From a purely informative and instructional standpoint you simply cannot place a value upon them.

Everytime 'A Photobucket' moment happens it greatly devalues this site. Cripples it, in fact. I am amazed that most forums and their users didn't initiate a class action lawsuit against Photobucket because they DID reverse themselves on their promise (to host for free) and by extension, those sites who bet their value on having their user's photos available got the shaft as well. Photobucket would cough up a ton of dough to be out from under that kind of heat.

But the point is, the 838 really needs to begin hosting its own photos if it's serious about its long-term survival.

So I suppose that is also a topic for discussion.

Cheers,
TJ

Challenger2
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Challenger2 » April 17th, 2020, 2:18 pm

To Rick and everybody who contributes and who has contributed their knowledge, wisdom and experience to this site for the good of all M151 Mutt owners I say a BIG thank you from the United Kingdom.
To be able to tap into the mother lode of information about these vehicles is invaluable and, on so many occasions when I have had a question to do with restoring my own '77-78 A2 I have either hit 'Search' or just asked and an answer has come back.
I have had problems with logging on but it is almost always down to my home broadband box. Switch off and switch on again (yes, that does work!) and I am up and running. I am on a number of other forums across a wide range of subjects (some of them industry/professional related) and they all seem to have gone into hibernation and IMHO that happened long before Christmas and continued that way even before the present unpleasantness.
Since COVID-19 arrived people's priorities have quite rightly changed and that affects everyone around the world. When we emerge out of this I think we will have changed the way we look at our lives and what we define as being important. Family, friends, fellowship, our hobbies and the planet we all share, set against the endless quest to get the latest 'stuff', follow the latest trend etc etc.
But right now, the thought of just being able to get to my workshop (sadly some miles away) and work on my Mutt and dreaming of attending MV shows is an important part of staying sane.
And before I step off my soapbox - I learned today that a fellow UK-based Mutt enthusiast who has been a long time contributor to this site has been seriously ill but is slowly recovering from COVID-19 and his wife (they both work for our magnificent UK National Health Service) is critically ill. If you can, please pray or think kind thoughts for them and any other G838 members and their families at this time.

rwhimes
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by rwhimes » April 17th, 2020, 10:29 pm

I've not had technical issues with the site. I, too, use Google Chrome, which stores my username and password and makes sign-in a breeze. I agree, this is the place I turn to first when I'm facing an issue with the MUTT. Almost always I find that others have been there before and have a potential solution or two. Keep up the good work!
1966 Ford M151A1
1954 Dodge M37

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 18th, 2020, 12:45 pm

I am new to this forum, you had to activate the user 2 times but other than that everything works fine and you did not have any problems again.
From what you could see a very active forum and I think that the one with more information about m151 available, the forum has the same structure as all the forums and everything works well.
It is true that being able to add photos without deleting them after a while is an added value for the forum.
However, he has been seeing the restoration forum and images can be uploaded very easily. I do not know if they will be deleted at the same time or not, since I am new and I do not know how the forum works. Maybe I would like to upload the restoration of my A2 and so there is more content available ...
Greetings to all

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 18th, 2020, 5:57 pm

Hello Rupert, The photo's that are sent by way of places like Photobucket and Postimage are stored on those sites and linked to the forum. So as long as they are on that site they are on the forum. If you delete one from that site it disappears from the forum also. I am going to be looking into some sort of photo storage in the future but we don't have that at this time. As far as the activation, you will need to have every post approved up to ten posts and after that you are activated as a regular user. This is unfortunately needed to defeat the spammers.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Brownie63
civilian

Unread post by Brownie63 » April 20th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I'm not a frequent visitor to the site. Definitely, not a frequent poster. I will also confess that I'm not very IT adept.

Having said that, I've NEVER had an issue logging in.

The issues must be on his end of things.

Thanks for running this site. Don't think you are not appreciated.
82nd Abn Div 1973-77
We Were Soldiers Once - And Thin

1970 M151A2

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » April 21st, 2020, 10:22 am

Rick, another vote to stay the same! Yes, a photo area would be great, but not a deal breaker. It's the INFO that we come here for, the pictures are just more candy! Not to mention the fun chit chat. It's a place for friends to hang out, visit, tell some tall tales.....many even true....and get excellent information and advice on our M151's.
Keep up the good work.
For the most part, we here are NOT the Facebook crowd.....thank the good Lord for that.
It may just be a generational thing, but I feel it is more friendly here, than the confrontational bunch Facebook seems to gather. This is NOT to say the Facebook people are bad......not at all. Just different.
I feel.......comfortable.......here!

I am using Win 7 Pro and browse with Firefox.......very seldom have any trouble signing in.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » April 21st, 2020, 10:47 am

I have not had any issues logging in and it remembers me each time unless I clean out my cookies and history.

I can't stand the way FB works. You see a post but can never find it again unless you navigate to a group and scroll down and down and down. No search function. Also, FB has no categories.

Plus here we get to know each other. I don't know one FB member from another. When I see an exchange between certain members it makes me chuckle. :lol: They get peeved though. Life's too short to get all in a wad.

I would donate to keep the site going.
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » April 22nd, 2020, 7:29 am

Hey Rick.... isn’t this poll like walking into a bar and asking if it should stay open and if alcohol should be served????

I’ve had a few logon issues, but resolved them after realizing the site had been updated.

My reduced use of the site is due to two specific reasons. First and foremost, the photo issue dumped all the history for my posts and others posts That I wanted to reference. That alone frustrated me to a level that I stopped posting.

The second reason was the reduction in participation by other members over the years.

I guess I could also say that the more retired I get, the less time I have to screw around on a computer.

Respectfully,
Vin Zike

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » April 22nd, 2020, 8:56 am

My $0.02

This place has been a wealth of information, and I find myself down rabbit holes of invaluable knowledge every time I log in. When I have a question, it is answered quickly and comprehensively. I've never been on another site quite as well run as this (so far as technical forums are concerned).

I use a Mac, and haven't had any issues.

The only thing I'd like to see is support for embedding Instagram photos and posts. For now, I've been able to link to the posts in my account, but as others have stated, seeing the photos in the forums is pure gold. I don't know the technical aspects that go into allowing IG imbedding, (or perhaps I'm just doing it wrong!), but whatever coding is required to allow this and other mediums to be embedded is the only thing I would add or change.

Thank you to the mods and everyone else on here for your patience and support for those of us who are still fledgling in this hobby!
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Polar

RIP: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Sold), 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Rolled), 1987 Suzuki Samurai x3 (Sold, Rolled, Junked).