Mr. Recovery's folding ruler

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Mr. Recovery's folding ruler

Unread post by raymond » March 31st, 2020, 8:42 am

Fail to see how this could be a consistent and uniform unit of measure, considering your thumb has been flattened and swollen numerous times from being hit with a hammer. :!: :idea:
SEABEE62 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 11:31 am
WOW...I really like those rulers . Normally I just use my thumb....hold it up and eyeball it. Its good ! :) SEABEE
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 31st, 2020, 8:43 am

BTW Rick, I've never seen a ruler that folds that way. Do you know what it's intended use was?
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 31st, 2020, 8:51 am

If you are talking about the wooden one I posted then no, I don't. I bought it as part of a box of machinist tools. There were a couple dial gauges and these rulers. I was interested in the gauges so these were extra.Most machinist tools were steel so I don't think it was specifically for that but it may have been a favorite of the machinist who owned this lot.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 31st, 2020, 10:20 am

rickf wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:35 am
..Such as why do they use 10'ts of an inch on the rod?
That's actually tenths/hundredths of a foot on the level rod shown in the picture. Adding and subtracting in a tenths/hundredths base system versus fractions of an inch 8ths, 32nds, etc. was easier on the brain and quicker in the field.
rickf wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:35 am
Where did the "chain" measurement come from?
Gunter's chain was from an english mathmatician... from the wiki - Gunter's chain reconciled two seemingly incompatible systems: the traditional English land measurements, based on the number four, and decimals based on the number 10. Since an acre measured 10 square chains (or 100,000 square links) in Gunter's system, the entire process of land measurement could be computed using measurements in links, and then converted to acres by dividing the results by 100,000.

A quarter of a chain is 16.5' or one rod. The unit of measure that pipeline and a lot of utility right-of-ways are paid for to this day.

"Good enough for government work" phrase is said to come from the old surveyors of the Public Land Survey System... if the section closed within the right amount of links it was good enough and you could move on to the next.

All to make it easier for us Jacka$$es in the field.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » March 31st, 2020, 10:46 am

Dang....RickF has been reading the Encyclopaedia again. Funny that this was what I had been offered for a job as a rodman during my summer break while in college....I didn't want to climb thur the bushes, ditches, jungle type terrain....worked as a carpenter instead, then joined the SEABEE, and there I was...back in the bush ! I had also taken a furlough :) too when I was in the service...not long enough tho. :) SEABEE
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 31st, 2020, 5:16 pm

Well, I was in the SOUTH-east, Down in Surveyors area a lot and it was more swamp and gators than brush. We always had an extra man with a rifle to warn you about a gator in the water when you were standing in the middle of a swamp up to your chest in mud. Those guys loved to see how scared you were, they would not tell you until the gator was already in the water. They found out that I was not the type to scare easily and I also understood gators. If you did not move they did not attack. But once they moved off I moved pretty damn quickly and I told the guy with the gun he better shoot me or run because I was going to beat him to death with that rod!!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 31st, 2020, 6:02 pm

About 30 years back, took a friend water skiing/hydro-sliding in the local bayou. He fell off the hydro-slide right as we passed up an old wharf with a couple of big ones getting some sun. As they ran and hit the water like a couple of crocodiles from Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, that's the only time I've seen someone try to stand straight up on a hydro-slide not under tow and almost accomplish the task.

That Mariner engine always had carb problems after sitting over the winter. Occasionally had to have someone bend over and back into the back compartment and pump the gas bulb a few times. We always liked to have a few girls (preferably in bikinis) with us in case the engine was fuel starved. When dad asked how the boat was running I always said it was running just fine. :twisted: :D
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin