Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by m3a1 » July 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm

(Author's Note - If you are just visiting this thread for the first time, and if what you see here is not of immediate interest to you, take a moment and just skip around the thread. I'm hopeful you'll find something that interests you because this is going to be details of the ongoing saga of mechanical madness around my place. Not all of it is strictly M151-related but here you will find some tips and tricks and some good down-home wrenching and yes, even some 'Never EVER Do This If You Want To Keep Your Marriage Intact' scenarios. So, don't be afraid to fast forward in the thread if what is immediately in front of you doesn't seem to be of interest. I think there's going to be something for everyone here.

If you want to go directly to the matter of the Doom Buggy, go to page 5, scroll down and look for the raccoon. Yes, that's right... the raccoon!)

CHEERS!
TJ

I think I'm just gonna let people start asking me questions...but I will start with this one thing. It is mine.

And, if anyone wants a camper for free (and it ain't no cherry) you'll need to be here in about 4 days to pick it up. After that, all bets are off.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 24th, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by rickf » July 13th, 2019, 9:31 am

Either your wife's patience has got to be wearing thin or she does not know about it yet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were great little campers but that one appears to have issues.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 13th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Dumpster being delivered on Monday and a new pack of reciprocating saw blades. I'll make that camper disappear quicker than you can say Jackie Robinson. I'm also making a purge around here including breaking down my 42 GPW hangar queen for the parts. Luckily there's not a lot there to salvage. So my wife is ecstatic and this was the spark I needed to get going on some of this stuff.

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » July 15th, 2019, 12:59 pm

If only I was closer. I'd help you for some of the parts from the camper. I have a project I'd like to do later.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 15th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Just when I think I have seen it all. LOL :lol:
No wonder you hide your location. :mrgreen:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 15th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Dumpster was delivered today. Truck will be brought in tomorrow. Then the real fun begins. What have I been doing the last few days? Taking the body off the 42 GPW (I have a guy carting off the steel) and sorting out the parts I intend to keep. I started out trying to salvage the F-script bolts until I hammered a knuckle with a runaway air ratchet. Yeah, it was my fault but enough is enough. Now, as far as I'm concerned, those bolts can go straight to the scrapper. It's hotter than hades, I'm sweating gallons, getting filthy and frankly, I'm not as young as I used to be. The bolts go bye-bye along with the rest.

After the camper gets disassembled and packed off I'll have to make some decisions about how far to disassemble the chassis. I will need the axles for another 42 GPW I've got but I'm going to keep this thing a roller until the very last moment. I'll salvage the drive-line, suspension, steering and the MG mount (probably also F-script).

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 16th, 2019, 2:57 pm

NEWS FLASH! The GTB has been delivered after the obligatory BBQ luncheon for Xloflyr who so graciously helped in the recovery. I'll probably have some pics for y'all this evening.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 21st, 2020, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 17th, 2019, 9:24 am

Sorry, fellas. No pics for your morning coffee. I've been getting up early every day just to beat the heat and today is no different so yer just gonna have to wait....but, I am making headway. I suspect today is the day for knocking this camper down. Did a lot of prep work yesterday just to get this ready for final disassembly and today is the big push. Doubt it will be the last push but these jobs surprise us sometimes. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 17th, 2019, 9:31 am

Let's see, back vehicle up to open door of dumpster. Wrap chain around camper and run to vehicle at other end of dumpster and pull. Slip, slam, job done. Go back in the house for cool refreshments! Call friend with backhoe and ask if he could squash camper flat in dumpster next time he is riding by and by the way there may be a cold case in the fridge looking for a home. Then you will have room for all of the other junk in the yard. Yea, right. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 17th, 2019, 11:23 am

Yeah, if only I could conjure up a friend who had a backhoe. Roof is off, which is mighty impressive considering I'm working alone. And all my so-called friends who always say, "call me anytime" just aren't all that...

I'll get that roof cut up and into the dumpster and that'll be a great leap forward. Saving some of the menial work of breaking down the little stuff for later when the sun is fully up. I'll do that in the shade.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Yea, it is sitting right on a hundred degrees here and 60% humidity so I am staying inside the rest of the afternoon.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 17th, 2019, 9:37 pm

An uneventful loading at the farm.

Bucky & Cooper say....."Mom said your'e bringing another dog home."

Be calm guys.....it's not that kind of dog.

First stop after leaving the farm. Check the load securement and then we go inside and check out the BBQ!

Hey Dave, that guy who's tailgating us sure has an ugly truck!.... Oh wait, that's MY truck!

Almost there....and then the REAL work begins. Gotta make that camper disappear.

Jack up the top and lay in some 2x4's.

Clearly, my mania knows no bounds..

Disconnect the connective tissue.

Let the lid back down and slide it off. Heave ho!

Gravity is our friend.

The reciprocating saw works its magic because most of this is just a foam core laminate with aluminum sheeting on the outside.

Big heavy pieces become small easy-to-handle pieces

And the camper yields some surprises. I wonder if these batteries will take a charge? Nope, but each battery is worth $10 in trade at O'Reilly"s Auto Parts.

Finally, after many long arduous hours, working in the hot Texas sun.

And a dumpster not nearly full. I'll be getting rid of some extra junk, that's for sure!

The 'End'..... for now.....

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 21st, 2020, 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 18th, 2019, 9:15 am

Even has decent tires on it! If you did not destroy the lift mechanism for that top you should be able to get some money back on that. Those bring decent money.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 18th, 2019, 9:43 am

You're slipping, Rick. Those tires are absolutely baked and there was nothing in the top's lift mechanism worth salvaging and there were no legs. It was pretty torn up.

Salvage of the camper came to a couple of pads which will go nicely on the Adirondak love seat and my outdoor cats are already lovin' those. I found 76 cents and two good lookin car batteries in nice plastic battery boxes and it remains to be seen if they'll take a charge but O'Reilly's always buys dead batteries at something like $10 a pop. The water tank and separate water pump appeared too be in very nice shape, as was the dinette table and its center pole mounts. I also found a Phillips screwdriver and a small vice grip. I salvaged almost all metals (that goes to a buddy of mine) and traded the metal for a stellar metal storage box that has a very nice 'old school' vibe. I got some very nice lengths of good quality hat channel (from beneath) and two strong piston supports which served to keep the deck of the over-the-cab bed up to provide access to storage beneath. I have no reason to think the power-verter/battery charger wouldn't work (along with it came an extremely long power cord) so I kept that stuff as well. Water heater is probably ok along with the three burner range but I'm scrapping those for their metal as I have no use for them. Everything else is disposed of except the fridge and the AC unit (from which I will salvage the electric motor).

I'll see what I can conjure up for wheels and tires, they being 8.25s but I'll probably just hang some 9x20s on it for the time being.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 21st, 2020, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 18th, 2019, 12:27 pm

No, Your slipping, Apparently you roasted you sense of humor. :roll: Plus, The tires are round and kind of hold air, In Vietnam they were considered usable tires! If you REALLY look at the real pics of military vehicles in VN you will see a LOT of them had not only bald tires but bald civvy tires at that. Whatever kept them moving. Made me glad my transport had skids and rotors! And it was a cooler ride.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed