Ok, I've been around the block a time or two, but.......

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Ok, I've been around the block a time or two, but.......

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » June 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm

At the Idaho show, I just saw a trailer I have never even heard of, much less seen.
I have read about, seen, bought, sold, and heard of just about every variation of a M762 platform chassis. M416's, M762's, generator variations, antenna-mast variations, etc.
A guy pulled in with a M762 chassis, with a huge aluminum radio rack on top. There are "compartments" for about 5-6 radios (or equivalent electronic device) on each side, with enough room for at least one generator- MEP style- to be mounted in between. There is also a tubing type extension on each side of the frame/rack, that allows for a "roof", with the help of a canvas or vinyl top for weather issues.
A couple of guys there knew the guy that originally got them, and I guess each time it changed hands, it had less and less extra's with it. Allegedly, it still had all the cables and some terminal boxes when first dumped on the market. (It is bare now)
It is definitely a M762 chassis and front casting. It has the later style tail-lights. I saw a data-tag that I thought said ANC-146, but Google didn't help with that.
It is NOT a home-made Bubba thing. He wanted stupid money for it, so bringing it home probably won't happen.
Any ideas?

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Ok, I've been around the block a time or two, but.......

Unread post by Francis Marion » June 11th, 2011, 1:00 am

What! No pics?
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » June 11th, 2011, 3:03 am

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » June 11th, 2011, 9:16 am

Hmmmm. It happens to be that exact one.

I guess NOW I have seen it all.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » June 11th, 2011, 10:21 am

Hey Bill,
Seems to me I've seen that type trailer before. Oh yeah, I USED TO WORK IN ONE! :shock:

These pictures have been posted half a dozen times over the years. Over the frame was a vinyl cover that had doubled up sides so when in the raised position the side could be unfolded and tied off to the bottom of the outer frame. These are exclusively for radio equipment and no generators were ever mounted in the middle. That area is for the antenna launchers and duffel bags of the operators wile in transit and for the operators when on the air. Mos 31M20 was the job assignment and they were used in AIRMOBILE operations. Pulled by M151's with the 1.5kw generators mounted on the jeeps.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 11th, 2011, 10:36 am

That's quite a radio setup Rainman 8) With today's electronics and integrated circuits, I wonder how small all of that could be shrunk.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » June 11th, 2011, 10:51 am

raymond wrote:That's quite a radio setup Rainman 8) With today's electronics and integrated circuits, I wonder how small all of that could be shrunk.

Raymond
Pretty small:

Then, this isn't exactly fair 'cause this one has a power source attached.

The PRC-148 is 30-512 MHz, AM/FM, secure, and SATCOM capable.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » June 11th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I was going to say a few handhelds, a digital scrambler and some patch cables might pull off part of it's mission, but a laptop w/ solar panels and satellite link would handle it all I imagine and leave room in the jeep for 3 operators to keep it online 24/7. Here's the old description on the AN/GRC-103 capabilities. Pulse code modulation was an early digital system that worked nearly flawless for it's day.

"The AN/GRC-103(V) is a tactical radio relay system designed to establish radio relay circuits rapidly in military forward area communications systems. It is intended for use with delta modulation, pulse code modulation or frequency division multiplex equipment and is suitable for transmitting a wide variety of traffic including telephone, telegraph, teletype, fax and data. The equipment operates in the 220 MHz to 1.85 GHz frequency range providing more than 4,500 RF channels in five separate frequency bands. Any of the channels can be selected rapidly using front panel controls.Inventory AN/GRC-103(V) equipment features a party-line order-wire which makes selective station or relay signalling impossible. However, a retrofit kit converts this inventory radio to SELCALL and remoting while maintaining the party-line feature."

From a distance all folks saw was the antenna system we called a "bread slicer". Older versions were known a "horns" and "flyswatters"

I know where 2 sets of radios are that could put a good part of the system back together. Yup I even have the launcher and antenna that could be set up for show, but it's not on my list of MV projects to restore.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » June 11th, 2011, 4:39 pm

It looks a little like the Enterprise.....beam me up scotti....or "war of the worlds " episode. Starring ....RAINMAN....the man from outter space ! This explains things......... 8) Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091