USMC M416 trailer

need more space? add a M416 trailer! and discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

USMC M416 trailer

Unread post by Redlight » October 19th, 2020, 5:24 pm

I won a used trailer from Govdeals last week. When I went to pick it up, I discovered that it was an USMC version.
I will most likely stay with the camo paint after if repair some pencil sized holes in the floor. The lettering was painted in in black. Is it proper to use black decals instead of painting? Is there any significance with the white diamond on the rear panel? I understand that there is no unit marking on rear, is there any unit identification anywhere else?
It will be for sale so if any one wants a winter project ,let me know.
Thanks
Redlight
Manchester 1.JPG
Manchester 2.JPG
Manchester 3.JPG
Manchester 4.JPG
Manchester 5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: USMC M416 trailer

Unread post by Mark » October 19th, 2020, 6:17 pm

I think the white diamond designates a unit, I have the meanings somewhere, might take some digging
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » October 19th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Please take a picture of data plate and post. Looks original.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » October 19th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Can’t make out last two numbers of USA number. USMC 3424 ? ?
Thanks.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » October 19th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Marine Corp tactical marking system lists the white diamond for 5th Marines.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » October 19th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Thank you for the information
manchester data plate.jpg
It is very original, there is od under the camo. It needs some straightening out but it is in very good shape. The cord and cap for the lights is very dry but I have a take out cord to swap.
This is what it should look like before repainting in Camo.
IMG_3351.JPG
I am retired and this will be my winter project in the garage. I also won another trailer today as well.
NH Hookset.jpg
This one has a tail gate cut it, looks like no rust. I will post the date plate after I pick it up later this week. This one will be for sale if anyone is interested. Location is very close to Boston Ma.

Thanks
Bruce (Redlight)
(If you have seen my Mutt, you will understand the Name)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm

I have been working on my USMC trailer in the Driveway. I first worked on the bed to make sure I do not need to replace the floor.
USMC floor 1.JPG
USMC floor 2.JPG
USMC floor 3.JPG
I think it looks good.
I have worked on the front and back of the tub. Not perfect, shows some bumps and dings. Honest wear
USMC 5.JPG
USMC 9.JPG
Not done yet progress being made.
Thanks for looking

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » November 21st, 2020, 10:08 pm

I have removed all of the flaking paint, ground down the rust, painted with rust defender, and then sanded all over.
USMC 6.JPG
USMC 8.JPG
I had removed the fenders as well. I cleaned them inside and out, repainted with standard OD rattle can paint. Now starting to bring it back together.
USMC 10.JPG
I will finish painting OD as a base coat before I start on the camo finish. I painter the Wheels, fenders, and under the fender mount area so I will not have to remove the wheels again. I also need to work on the lights. I may go to more current military lights as I have about 6 sets in the garage. When I unbolted the left side light, water poured out. I will have to look at the inside tomorrow. It will be for sale for a Christmas present. I have another one in the garage for me.
The orange trailer from earlier posting was sold within two days. I dropped it off in New Hampshire for use as an Overlander trailer. It will be fitted with a roof top tent (RTT) so he can go camping in his modern Jeep.
I will post again after I fix the lights and apply the base OD paint
Thanks for looking, polite comments welcome

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » November 22nd, 2020, 2:18 pm

not sure if it is polite enough but isn't that the wrong base color for camo?
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » November 22nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

Greeting
You are correct but I had a dozen cans of 24079 in my garage. I have a bunch of the correct colors to use so I hope it will turn out ok.

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » December 2nd, 2020, 1:09 pm

I have completed the painting on the trailer. I used a small amount of paint stripper to remove 90% of the old paint covering the data plate.
manchester data plate.jpg
old plate
Ct done 9.JPG
after cleaning.
Vast improvement without removing the original printing.
Yes, I used the wrong rivets but they are what I had in the shop. The only riveting I do is when I attach a data plate. I only have had to do this twice in 10 years.

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » December 2nd, 2020, 1:24 pm

I have completed the Painting on the USMC trailer. It is now for SALE. I have used no bondo at all. I have replaced grease seals on the axles as well as two of the four bearing sets. The other two are fine and had been replaced by the previous owner. It has been sanded and painted. I have not replaced the lights at this time The new owner can install the style of light they want. I have NATO lights and a new connecting cable if the new owner wants to stay military, or they can install LED lighting. I am asking $1600 for the trailer. I will include a spare tire and wheel. For an additional $100, I can install the current style NATO lights, or new LED lighting package. It can be delivered anywhere in New England for gas money.
Please PM for details.
Thank you.
Ct done 3.JPG
Ct done 4.JPG
Ct done 5.JPG
Ct done 8.JPG
Ct done 2.JPG

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » December 2nd, 2020, 1:26 pm

Additional Pictures
Ct done 9.JPG
Ct done 7.JPG

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » December 3rd, 2020, 5:49 pm

Great job on the M4116 trailer. Interesting that the USMC had a flat bed version of the M416 trailer known as the M762. Same frame and rolling chassis parts, just with a flatbed and splashshields on the fenders to enclose them. I'm using 762 fenders on my 416 project as they had little steps on the front and rear part of the fenders that bolted e and I like that look. And, the 762 had USMC lift looped bars to allow air mobility. Intersting that a USMC 416 trailer would not have the lift bars welded on. An easy field mod.

Anyway, can you share with me on the original camo pattern...was the tub floor painted camo? And, if so, were the inner tub sides also painted camo? I have a pattern for the MERDC summer pattern four color scheme that shows the floor of the trailer camo, but does not show the inner tub sides. I presume some sort of pattern that would connect the outer sides and

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » December 3rd, 2020, 10:58 pm

Hi Mutt and Jeff,
I assuming that I am responding to Jeff. The floor looked like it was a solid color but it was hard to tell due to the rust and dirt. The inner sides of the tub had camo paint.
Manchester 6.JPG
Manchester 14.JPG
USMC floor 1.JPG
USMC floor 2.JPG
These are the before pictures that show the sides and the floor. The drawings in the manual indicate that the floor was also camo but I think they did not bother as it was to much work to apply different paint to the floor.
Also your question in your last posting seamed to be cut off. Please feel free to add any more questions or comments. I may be selling the trailer this weekend if the snow hold off.
thanks
Bruce