M151A2 CAV at Dover Air Force Base Air Show & Open House

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

M151A2 CAV at Dover Air Force Base Air Show & Open House

Unread post by Joe » September 16th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Our Fort Miles Motor Pool Group had the honor & privilege to participate in the awesome Air Show at Dover AFB yesterday. Along with our usual assortment of post-war HMV's, one of our members brought his rare M151A2 CAV (Combat Assault Vehicle). This little gem quickly became the star attraction of our motor pool display. While research is still pending, the vehicle is thought to be a US Army/USAF Combat Assault Vehicle (CAV). Do any of our G838 family member's have any experience or info that might help in determining its military history?

The Ramp Boss for the event positioned our group on the usually very secure flight line in front of a vintage B-52 Stratofortress Bomber. Our location for the Air Show was excellent and the general public was well accepting of our presence. This was a great way to spend the day.......

Note: The front mounted spare tire & bracket were removed for the show......

The owner of this radio A1 was in active communications demonstrations during the entire day.....

Last edited by Joe on September 17th, 2019, 4:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

Re: M151A2 FAV at Dover Air Force Base Air Show & Open House

Unread post by CBrinker » September 16th, 2019, 8:57 pm

It was a great day with a great group of people and surprisingly good weather. Any information on the M151a2 would be much appreciated, Someone a while back contacted me about it and mentioned being a CAV and the radio one (which is still inoperable at the moment) being one as well. Here is an old picture of the radio mutt

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » September 17th, 2019, 7:18 am

What makes the M151A2 FAV, faster than than a normal A2? Just wondering how the fast is applied to this. :wink:
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

While that FAV is definitely used and abused there are a few things that catch my eye that don't jive with 90% of all the others I have seen. First and foremost is the fully bent and welded cage, the originals I have seen were made with plumbing pipe. Second is how the cage is mounted, most were mounted to a large angle iron that went all the way across the top of the cowl and down behind it and the pipe was welded to that. On this one the pipes are welded to plates on the cowl with one that looks like it goes through to the floor? Looks like someone tried to use that left rear lifting eye as a strap point to try to yank someone out of the mud, with not so good results!! Or maybe he was the the one that was stuck?
Anyway, looks like a neat show but if you were in the secure area didn't that kind of limit the people that could see the vehicles?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » September 17th, 2019, 11:17 am

Wow Rick, thank you for your insight! Did you ever get a chance to take pictures? Since this event was an open house & air show, the general public was allowed in free, could only access the base via the North Gate and were only allowed out on the flight line and no-where else on base. That sign on the tarmac is a stern warning during normal business hours. Based on the massive crowds, including those people seeking shade under the wing spans of all the aircraft on display...... I'd be checking everything mechanical (exposed) in the wheel well areas of those birds before taking off again. Heaven only knows what idle fingers may have been doing in those confined spaces during the air show. :shock: :oops:

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by CBrinker » September 17th, 2019, 11:47 am

Thanks for your insight. This one was definitely used and abused considering not only does it look rough, but the motor is pretty tired as well. I had noticed that most FAVs I had seen pictures of had a different cage as well as couple other small differences
Last edited by CBrinker on September 17th, 2019, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 17th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Joe.....

my understanding of the FAV development is there are two main types of these M151A2-based vehicles.
The first one is the USMC version and the second type is the one you had at Dover AFB...which I believe is the M151A2-MOD which is the Combat Assault vehicle.... Army/Air Force and was used for airport seizure.

The USMC versions retained the long front bumper whereas the CAV version retained the Army-type shorter front bumper or in some cases removed or shortened it even further. These are also recognisable by the sloping rectangular armor panel at the front end...... Somewhere I have a picture of the W&D plate for the CAV that someone sent. I also have a picture of another CAV based on an early Ford-built A2 with the full-front fenders. Is that the radio version you have?

I never saw any of these CAVs here in Europe but there are rumors that some are still stored at Warner-Robins AFB.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 17th, 2019, 12:19 pm

The cowl has a 90 deg brace under the hinge pad for the windshield that spot welds to the side cowl panel. Keep in mind all of those parts are only 18 ga material and I'm sure they're not "roll" rated... However, the truck does look pretty cool.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by CBrinker » September 17th, 2019, 12:34 pm

muttguru wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 12:11 pm
Joe.....

my understanding of the FAV development is there are two main types of these M151A2-based vehicles.
The first one is the USMC version and the second type is the one you had at Dover AFB...which I believe is the M151A2-MOD which is the Combat Assault vehicle.... Army/Air Force and was used for airport seizure.

The USMC versions retained the long front bumper whereas the CAV version retained the Army-type shorter front bumper or in some cases removed or shortened it even further. These are also recognisable by the sloping rectangular armor panel at the front end...... Somewhere I have a picture of the W&D plate for the CAV that someone sent. I also have a picture of another CAV based on an early Ford-built A2 with the full-front fenders. Is that the radio version you have?

I never saw any of these CAVs here in Europe but there are rumors that some are still stored at Warner-Robins AFB.
Ken
That’s along the lines of what someone else told me a while back, but not as much detail about their use. That person sent me a picture of the plate on his that said m151a2-MOD, but I can’t find that picture right now. The early ford built one is the radio version I have. I heard about 1 CAV that might still be in storage on a base somewhere and that it is the only uncut one out of them

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » September 17th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Thanks Ken, for that information!!! Your expertise is always welcome and always spot-on. Much appreciated.
And I think we would all love to see any pictures that you might have. I do know that the front bumper seemed shorter than a standard A2 Army bumper.

Based on this information from Ken and recent information that Charlie B. received, I'm changing the topic of this post to read "CAV." I, for one, like to avoid confusion whenever I can.

Surveyor
Terminal

Re: M151A2 CAV at Dover Air Force Base Air Show & Open House

Unread post by Surveyor » September 17th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Just a thought... shorter bumper to allow full turning radius of larger tires?
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 17th, 2019, 6:17 pm

CBrinker wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 11:47 am
Thanks for your insight. This one was definitely used and abused considering not only does it look rough, but the motor is pretty tired as well. The cage does not go through the cowl, but it does seem pretty sturdy. I had noticed that most FAVs I had seen pictures of had a different cage as well as couple other small differences
I beg to differ. The center bar of that cage is welded to the plate on top of the cowl and then it continues down through the cowl just to the right of the red switches past the trans tunnel on the passengers side.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 17th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Somebody correct me if I am wrong or is this military genius at work here. The bullet deflector in front of the radiator seems to be positioned perfectly to deflect the bullets right up to the BACK side of the deflector above the front of the hood. In effect spraying the lead fragments in the occupants face.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by CBrinker » September 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

rickf wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 6:17 pm
CBrinker wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 11:47 am
Thanks for your insight. This one was definitely used and abused considering not only does it look rough, but the motor is pretty tired as well. The cage does not go through the cowl, but it does seem pretty sturdy. I had noticed that most FAVs I had seen pictures of had a different cage as well as couple other small differences
I beg to differ. The center bar of that cage is welded to the plate on top of the cowl and then it continues down through the cowl just to the right of the red switches past the trans tunnel on the passengers side.
You’re correct on that, I was just looking at the drivers side and completely looked over that on the passenger side. The bullet deflector in front of the radiator does look like a design that could be improved upon to say the least

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 17th, 2019, 8:48 pm

To me it would appear that the regular ROPS would offer better protection, structural strength , as well as a place to hang stuff, but maybe too heavy?Aw, I don't know,
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416