What have you been shooting lately?

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

What have you been shooting lately?

Unread post by raymond » March 25th, 2014, 9:17 pm

We haven't had any weapons photos on here for some time. So, I shot a couple of pictures of a couple of weapons I've been shooting lately. The rifle is a Mossberg M44US. It is a WW2 bolt action clip fed .22 lr training rifle. I got it from the DCM years ago and it appeared new and unfired. The only scratch on it was where someone had cut open the wrapping near the receiver and scratched the blueing, probably to confirm the serial number. It even still has the little plastic markers with a green "S" for "safe" and a red "F" for fire intact. One or both of these are often missing. :D The pistol is the Ruger MK2 stainless "Comptetition Target Model", also known as the "slabside".

So, what have you guys been shooting lately :?:

Sorry about the quality of this pic. I couldn't get it to come out.

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: What have you been shooting lately?

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » March 25th, 2014, 10:51 pm

I picked up a new 9mm for my carry, the old 38 was just too big. :D
Smith & Wesson MP 9 Shield. 8)

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » March 26th, 2014, 1:15 am

I just picked up a S&W 340 PD, I've been carrying it in a pocket holster and its the cats A$$, .357 Magnum and kicks like a MOTHER FKER!!! But....it's a tiny little gun that conceals nicely. I also recently picked up a Ruger 22/45 lite to host my also new Gemtech outback 2 suppressor (10 month ATF wait :shock: ) It's quiet!!

I recently completed a new AK build, it's a Russian clone RPK-47, all that's left is to refinish the metal, once the weather gets nice so I can fire up my Parkerizing tanks. Gun shoots smoothly..

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » March 26th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Image My trigger finger addiction: 308,HB,cryo treated, Ti firing pin,comp springs. But not much lately! $$$$$$

Image Some SHTF supplies. Polish Tantal AK74 home build and a FN/FAL home build (her's and mine) :D
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

zb39
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by zb39 » March 30th, 2014, 8:48 pm

M1A1 Thompson and BAR, I can't seem to post pics

Data Plate
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Data Plate » April 1st, 2014, 4:52 pm

The Ruger MK2 in stainless very nice, they only made them one year right i think 1999

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 1st, 2014, 6:17 pm

whiterabbit wrote:Image My trigger finger addiction: 308,HB,cryo treated, Ti firing pin,comp springs. But not much lately! $$$$$$

Image Some SHTF supplies. Polish Tantal AK74 home build and a FN/FAL home build (her's and mine) :D
Ummm, Not trying to tell you how to do it but I think you are supposed to be on the other side of the bench. :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 1st, 2014, 10:59 pm

Data Plate wrote:The Ruger MK2 in stainless very nice, they only made them one year right i think 1999

The competition stainless "slabside" was made for quite a few years. The MK3 version, and really all of the Ruger MK3 pistols are not as good as the MK2 counterparts in my opinion. I bought my daughter a lightweight MK3 22/45. The MK3 series has a magazine disconnect, and will not fire without a magazine inserted. That is normally not a problem, but in order to disassemble the pistol, you must release the firing pin and the only way to do this is to insert a magazine, dry fire it, then remove the magazine. The disconnect also makes the action more gritty or creepy. You can remedy this by removing the disconnect and using a MK2 hammer bushing. The other drawback is the change in the bolt hold open. It does not allow you to "slingshot" a round in the chamber when the bolt hold open has the bolt held to the rear and a fresh loaded magazine is inserted. You either must push down the bolt release, which is pretty stiff on the MK.3 especially with the small release button, or you must retract the bolt AND push down on the bolt release. This can be remedied by doing the "slingshot modification" which involves removing the ball and detent that was added to the bolt hold open. The bolt will still lock back after the last shot is fired because the magazine button will still engage the bolt hold open. These changes along with a loaded chamber indicator and a keyed internal lock, were reportedly added to make the pistol meet California safety specs (go figure :roll: ) however, with the advent of California announcing that all semi auto pistols will soon be required to have micro stamping, Ruger and several other manufacturers have announced they will leave the California market. Since microstamping is easily defeated and unproven, it has been speculated that this is a backdoor ploy to ban the sale of semi auto pistols in California :shock:

Here is my daughter's MK3. In addition to removing the magazine disconnect and installing the MK2 bushing as well as doing the "sling shot mod" I also put an adjustable rear target sight on the pistol. It is scary accurate for a 4 1/2 inch pistol, and my daughter is getting quite good with it :D

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » April 2nd, 2014, 2:33 pm

The Ruger Mk2 or a modified Mk3 is on my "bucket list". Fine pistols!
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

Data Plate
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Data Plate » April 3rd, 2014, 9:30 am

Great info if i could find a MK2 in stainless i would get one, Gunbroker has non, It looks like a fun gun to have and shoot, I carry the Ruger LCP 380 also a great friend but just because im not going to be a victim not for a fun gun ammo is to expensive

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 3rd, 2014, 6:08 pm

I live in NJ, Need I say anymore? :evil: :evil: :evil:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » April 3rd, 2014, 7:49 pm

I heard they'll kick your door down if they suspect you have a slingshot up there! WOW!
Maybe you should move to California or DC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 3rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

I just bought a LCP for concealed carry. I bought one with the crimson trace laser sight. It is not a real fun gun to shoot :!: 25 rounds is the max I like at a range session. .380 is not terribly expensive if you buy it at a gun show. I bought 2 50 round boxes of remanufactured semi wad cutters at a gun show last weekend for 20 bucks a box. Unless I am wearing very light weight clothing, I prefer a Makarov. I have a Russian model with adjustable sights 8)

Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 3rd, 2014, 7:55 pm

whiterabbit wrote:I heard they'll kick your door down if they suspect you have a slingshot up there! WOW!
Maybe you should move to California or DC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Cook County Illinois :idea:
Raymond

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » April 9th, 2014, 3:52 pm

I didn't get to shoot it nearly as much as the students but I still managed a couple of mags through it during a break.

1968 M151A1
1967 M416