WTK difference between A1 & A2 lowers

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

WTK difference between A1 & A2 lowers

Unread post by WC Matt » November 2nd, 2013, 7:36 pm

Guys
I have a 20" A1 complete upper that I'd like to build into an old school M16A1 clone. I know about www.retroblackrifle.com & Nodak spud but couldn't find any comparison info (between A1s & A2s) on there to help. I know the difference in the the fence & pistol grips but what about the rest of the receiver?

At this stage, I'm not super hard core enough to really care about the correct push pins (I'll get there some day). But I would like to avoid looking like I plugged an A1 upper onto an A2 lower. Nodak spud is back logged on orders for their receivers. I can pop into the local (gun) shop & buy an A2 type receiver right now as they have them. What do any of you "retro" guys think?
Matt

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: WTK difference between A1 & A2 lowers

Unread post by raymond » November 3rd, 2013, 12:51 am

Matt

I'd wait for the correct type of receiver to become available. The average joe may not know the difference, but you would. And if you are anything like me, it would always bother you that you didn't do it correctly.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 3rd, 2013, 12:57 am

BTW

I went to a gun show in St. Charles Mo today and held an old Colt SP1. Man, I sure like the feel of one with the delta handguards and the lightweight pencil barrel.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » November 3rd, 2013, 1:33 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just end up waiting for nodak to catch up on their production.
Matt

Packrat
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Packrat » November 24th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Ray is right. I built one years ago with a NODAK lower, properly engraved and colored to match. It was well worth the trouble.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » November 24th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Packrat wrote:Ray is right. I built one years ago with a NODAK lower, properly engraved and colored to match. It was well worth the trouble.
Packrat
Who's mfg did you have engraved on your lower? About halfway down on this thread there is a hydra-matic build that is outstanding. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358564

Matt

42GPW
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by 42GPW » December 27th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I've built a 16a1 and an xm177e2. the full fence lower is not correct for nam. the partial fence lower is correct and a flat slab side is correct if your going to do an early a1 with a 3 prong flash hider. I can an send you some photos of the 2 rifles I built. I'd post them but can't do it with my phone. You can give me a call too if you want to talk more about it. I bought nodak spuds lowers too.its worth the wait.

(417) 316-1167

Matt R
My Mutt doesnt leak...Its just marking its territory.
45 MB
44 MBT
67 M151a1
67 M416
Batt Boy July-Dec 89(5 mo of Hell!)
US Army-82nd Airborne 89-95
ARNG 95-00 40th,45th Inf
US Army-101st Airborne 00-06
Airborne Inf. Testing Americas cold weather gear since 1989