Anyone here shoot USPSA or 3 gun?

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bryan 45
Private First Class
Private First Class

Anyone here shoot USPSA or 3 gun?

Unread post by Bryan 45 » January 8th, 2008, 3:26 pm

KY State match is coming in May. I haven't been before, but I hear it's a blast. Raymond, that's not too far from you...

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 8th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Bryan

I do all my match shooting (which hasn't been much since my daughter was born) at PASA Park. It is the sight of the USPSA Championships. PASA Park iis recognized as one of the best gun clubs in the nation. It is only a 50 minute (45 minutes if I cut up through the bottoms) ride from my house. I like to shoot the 200 meter and 600 meter long range rifle matches. I shoot in the service rifle division with iron sights. I occasionally shoot the .22 caliber metallic silhouette or the 50 yard .22 caliber bullseye matches, although they haven't had any .22 matches this year. I use an AR 15 if it is not windy and an M-14/M1a if it is windy. I have even shot a 1903 Springfield in the pre 1945 nosedrip classic that they have around presidents day. On the .22 matches, I shoot a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22 with Redfield Palma receiver aperature sight and a interchangeable insert globe front. Never shot any multi gun matches though. Don't really have the weapons for it except the rifles. It's pretty laid back at PASA. If you bring something off the wall, everyone will crowd around you like a bunch of kids looking at the newest toy, and everyone will want to fire it after the match. A lot of the guys are top notch. Some can score over 475 out of 500 on the 50 round 200 meter matches. You will see people that can shoot with the best of them shooting with a 12 year old shooting his first match. I have been to a lot of the summer matches where some of the guys will have boots that lace up to their knees and wear coats with buckles and straps everywhere and thick padded gloves and glasses with an adjustable aperature on one lense and a black lense on the other shooting a 5000 dollar custom made AR 15 or M1a shooting custom hand loaded ammunition while at the same match, Bill Wahl (a friend of mine who sometimes helps at some of the national matches held at PASA) and I are there with our lightly modified stock Colt H-Bars with surplus ammunition while we are wearing boat shoes, swimming trunks, t-shirts, and sunglasses cause we are headed to the marina after the match. I don't think I'll be headed down to Kentucky, but may go to the Mo. matches some day. Probably won't shoot, cause my top score is around 375 out of 500 at 200 meters and 300 out of 500 on the 600 meter range. On .22, I have got a 36 out of 40 on metallic silhouette and around a 400 out of 500 on the 50 yard bullseye.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.pasapark.com/
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 8th, 2008, 10:06 pm

Raymond, You don't do much shooting do you? :roll:
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » January 8th, 2008, 11:45 pm

I tried multigun shooting once, but when I showed up at the range with a micro uzi, m-16 w/m203, and a m-72 Law they got funny looks on their faces and sent me back home... :shock: :cry:

True story, I guess they didn't have much of a sense of humor lol

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 9th, 2008, 3:52 am

rickf wrote:Raymond, You don't do much shooting do you? :roll:
Rick
Anymore, If I get to shoot a match once a year on Father's Day, I have shot a lot. :( The score's I posted are my all time high scores, not my averages, which are considerably lower. :oops: I can't hit anything with a pistol, except for heavy barrel target .22s. I have an old High Standard Supermatic Citattion with the 6 3/4 inch heavy fluted barrel that I can hit pretty good with. I can throw a rock more accurate than I can shoot a centerfire pistol though. Never was into them and only own a couple which I have rarely shot. I have always gravitated more toward rifles and prefer iron sights to scopes. I can't hit anything with a pistol using a scope or a dot or a reflex sight.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Opem Sights

Unread post by Rainman » January 9th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Hey Raymond,

Let me be the first to tell you, as the years go by, it is more and more difficult to focus on
all 3 rear sight, front sight, and target. Since I hit 45 or so, I have scoped most of my
shooters, just to allow me some resemblance of accuracy. Your results may vary. :shock:

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 9th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Hey Rainman

I am 43 and now have to wear reading glasses. I have found that an aperture rear (peep) sight and an interchangeable front globe sight is a lot better to focus with than a notched rear sight and a front post sight. It seems to focus your vision on the front insert and the target. If set up properly an aperaure rear sight with a circle insert for the front globe can bring almost as good of accuracy as a scope for bullseye shooting even at long rangees. Especially if you set your rear sight up with a variable diameter iris rear aperture. When properly sighted for a given target at a given range, the front ring should fit such that it shows a small amount of white between the black of the bullseye and the ring in the front sight. The rear sight should be opened such that it shows a small amount of white between the outside of the ring shaped front sight insert and the inside of the rear aperture. Here's the rear sight I like on my 10/22 that I had set up as a metallic silhouette and target rifle.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... %20disc&s=

Here's the front sight inserts I prefer.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... inserts&s=
Raymond

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » January 9th, 2008, 11:51 pm

Thanks raymond,

Another day that I learn something is a good day to be sure. Have similar front posts
on a couple of Mossberg target rifles, and something similar to the rear peep in a
lyman sight, also on a Mossberg, but a bull barrel 22 rifle. Never saw an adjustable
appeture though. Since I don't shoot any match shoots, I only use see thru mount
scopes in case of rain on a hunting trip. Heck, I even have my 200# Horton crossbow
scoped. Guess I need the optics to boost my confidence. What ever works I guess.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 10th, 2008, 7:23 am

Well, I got robbed again! :evil: Stole my digital camera out of my car in the drive way. Any one have a 16" barrel for a Ithaca 37?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 10th, 2008, 8:59 am

Rick

Sorry to hear about your digital camera. Unless you are going to be real close, I would use a longer barrel with improved cylinder chock setting and #2 or smaller shot on whomever stole the camera. Less likely to kill him but leave a lot of visible pock mark scars.

Rainman

Here are some of my target rifles. The top is a Remington 541-x, the middle is a H&R M12, and the bottom is a Ruger 10-22 that I had built for metallic silhouette. I have a Mossberg 44 but it is out at the other house laying in wait for a ground hog. :evil: The nice thing about using a rear peep sight for metallic silhouette is that when you go from the 20 tp 30 to 40 then 50 yard targets, it is a lot easier to crank the rear sight a pre set number of clicks for the change in elevation than it is to adjust a scope. The Ruger is heavily modified. About the only thing left by Ruger is the receiver, bolt, barrel, and stock. I even drilled out the butt and filled it with lead so it balances at the mag well.

Raymond

Bryan 45
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Bryan 45 » January 10th, 2008, 9:46 am

Nice .22s Raymond. I especially like the little people farm set! I have a 2 year old boy, so I know what it's like. His collection of monster trucks sit next to my safe.

Rick, FYI, a 16" shotgun barrel must be registered w/ the ATF to be legal. 18" is the legal minimum.

I've always wanted to get into service rifle matches, but the closest place to me is about 2.5 hours. I'm still shooting at least 1 pistol match a month, so I don't have enough time to try out something new.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 10th, 2008, 10:37 am

I am aware of the barrel length law but at this point I don't give a finless brown trout! I can change a barrel in 20 seconds! Raymond, I plan on being real close, close enought for him to catch the junk gun I am going to throw to him. :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed