Product Review - replica M16A1

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Product Review - replica M16A1

Unread post by rickf » September 3rd, 2020, 5:37 pm

How the hell can you be highly suspect when half the population out there is wandering around toting AR's? Locked and loaded real ones not dummies. Although I do not agree with the whole "It is my right so I am gonna do it" thing with flashing an Ar-15 all over it IS your right in a free state. That can't tell you that you can't have the guns. Unless you are a felon in which case they would have taken them away from you.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 4th, 2020, 12:05 am

Well, it is something you don't see very often around here.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 4th, 2020, 10:28 am

I have no dog in this fight, but we are often asked to display our vehicles at local High Schools or corporate Veterans events. Of course, they mention, leave the replica weapons at home due to our policy.

We leave the whole jeep at home.

Transporting troops and weapons is what they did. We don't want to tell 1/2 a story, or a revisionist version of the story. So, we acknowledge their request and politely decline their invitation.

I have a M38A1 that is a MASH 4077th marked jeep that I can use at such an event if I am so inclined. My MUTT project will not be a gun truck, but will have two M16A1 replicas mounted somewhere in the jeep.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 4th, 2020, 11:59 am

When I look back through in country pictures I notice the really the only 151's that have the rifles actually mounted in the holders are usually MP vehicles. In all of the pictures I see where they are on the road with regular Army or Marine troops the guys are carrying their weapons ready to use or just jump and run with them. When I was there I was airborne so I never rode in the vehicles. Watched them a lot from the air and delivered drinks and food to them on more than one occasion but preferred to ride where it was cooler and at least if you were shot at it was only coming from one direction and you had a lot more room to get out of the way!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 4th, 2020, 1:11 pm

It was always my understanding that the rifle mount was for the drivers weapon. If you think about the jeep carrying four troop, it would have to have 4 mounts if the intention was to carry loose weapons. So, if a soldier was driving a jeep that was assigned a rifle, he would have a place to store it safely and ready for quick action. If you think about the WWII jeep rifle mount on the windshield behind the steering wheel, the release of the weapon would never have been immediate.

In my M29C Stedubaker Weasel, I have a WWII rack with a "captured" Arisaka 99 in the rack. For story telling only. Using a captured Japanese weapon would have to be a serious downgrade. But, any port in a storm.

With radios in the back, although not military specs, I may need want to research alternate locations. It definitely hinders the passenger side and our vehicles almost always have a driver and a passenger, with me being the later. And, at 6'4" and 230lbs, and size 13 boots, I don't need any additional obstacles in the way.

I do have the mounting bracket that came in the NATO kit with two mounts, but only one bracket to raise the mount off the ground even further or to mount the weapon at an angle? May be vehicle specific, but only one bracket came in the kit.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 4th, 2020, 2:45 pm

One thing about the gun mount is undeniable. For display-security purposes, it's a better place for it than just laying across the hood or some other inviting location. There are a lot of people out there who just cannot 'Not Touch' and in the current political climate, it is probably best to take all reasonable steps to ensure its security. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

At car shows, I've had people who wanted a picture taken with the Mutt and the 50 cal. A-OK with that. Go stand with the whole thing in the background and have your picture taken. Or sit in the front seats, but that's as far as you go. The 50 is strictly hands-off, as well as anything else that's in there. If I hand an item to them, that's a different story. My house - My rules.

Climbing up behind the gun and playing Rat Patrol for the camera? Ehhhh....NO. This is a car show and my kitting up the vehicle is solely for the purpose of enhancing one's appreciation for what the vehicle as a whole. Nothing more. I won't even discuss weapons with them because the whole thing is not a political statement; it's just not why I'm at the car show.

in short, I encourage them to enjoy only the vehicle.

Cheers,
TJ

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 5th, 2020, 10:23 am

Just went back and read the entire thread again and noticed a reference to the orange tip. I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that the orange tip is only regulated for shipping out of state. So every manufacturer puts one on. But it is not required to stay on. So, if the orange tip bothers you, check your state regulations and, perhaps, just remove it. Ours looks like it jus prys off and out of the barrel tip.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 5th, 2020, 11:20 am

I thought the red tip was to show it was not a real gun
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 5th, 2020, 11:33 am

If you want an apple....go to the tree. Here's the law on it.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/5001

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 5th, 2020, 11:42 am

It's notable that this law (as shown) doesn't classify it in terms of it being a misdemeanor or felony, nor does it provide guidance in terms of punishment for said infraction. My guess is that any actual penalties may be found elsewhere, if they exist. Some laws have absolutely no teeth at all. Some laws exist but have no penalty, meaning there is no way to charge anyone for an infraction.

But, Federal Regulations can be a bit tricky so again, that 'punishment' part of the regulation may exist at the end of the chapter. I just don't have the time to look into it but it can be found under Commerce and Trade.

So, for the benefit of everyone here, my best guidance would be to check your state and local laws to see what they have to say about the matter.

Cheers,
TJ

https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/s ... 015076.pdf

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 7th, 2020, 10:06 am

Never a good idea to get legal advice from strangers over the internet, but IMO, and I am NOT a lwayer, (my parents had higher expectations) the regulation quoted above states:
It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm unless such firearm contains, or has affixed to it, a marking approved by the Secretary of Commerce, as provided in subsection (b).

And, it is from the Dept. of Commerce, not ATF or other agency dealing with actual firearms, so it has to do with the selling and shipping of the replica weapons, not what is required once you receive them. Nothing about displaying or using the guns with an orange tip. Yes, to prevent police officers from shooting children with toy guns, it's a good idea to have those toys with orange tips. But my opinion is that their is no requirement to leave or go back and paint orange tips on your replica weapons.

When was the last time you saw a replica machine gun on a military vehicle in a parade or on display with an orange tip?

Yes, absolutely check with your local law enforcement but I think you will find that no orange tips are required.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 28th, 2020, 11:03 am

I had a disappointed moment today when I found that the stock on my replica M16 is a bit oversized, i.e. it is too large to fit in the cups of the standard vehicle mounts.

Grrrr!