Carrying case M121 for sight

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

shortleg
civilian

Carrying case M121 for sight

Unread post by shortleg » February 4th, 2019, 11:37 am

I'm trying to find a m121 carrying case for the sight that is used on the Davy crockett version of the m151d and m38a1d
1967 M35 Gun Truck " The Mortician"
1953 M38a1D Davy Crockett
1960 CJ3B ARVN Parade Jeep
1969 M151a1 MP Mutt
1951 Henry J Gasser

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Carrying case M121 for sight

Unread post by m3a1 » February 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm

I'd suggest you post a reference photo or link to one on the internet, to assist others in figuring out exactly what you're looking for.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 4th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Davey Crockett, The suicide rocket launcher. Launched an atomic warhead with a blast radius larger than the launching range of the weapon. " Hey Bubba, I sure hope those modifications you did to the engine made her a WHOLE LOT FASTER!!! We kinda need it to survive!"

Actually I believe it was just the fallout area but I always like to have fun with it since it was a ridiculous weapon that actually existed.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » February 4th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Bunch of good pictures here... although I assume m3a1 knows what we are talking about and meant a picture of the case.

http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=73 ... ett#p62328

and manual http://www.g838.org/g838_manuals/SERVIC ... 201963.pdf

Austringer may be a good person to try and pm/contact for leads.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Yeah, of course I meant a picture of the case. Jeez, you guys are really on your game, lately.

Well, contrary to modern lore, the Davey Crocket was not necessarily a suicide weapon and YES, I am familiar with it. In fact, in my former life, I had the privilege of being sent to do a bunch of training at the Nevada Test Site.

Davey Crocket did pose certain risk to the users but by that time they had all that figured out they eventually deemed it to be more problematic than it was worth. But, when mutually assured destruction is the flavor of the day, every option counts and so, the possibility of maybe losing a few guys but taking out 10,000 in the doing of it is a very attractive mathematic equation and remains so, even to this day. So there was a time when the risk was considered to be worth the reward. Happily, the main reason appears to be that the problems with fallout finally began to be understood which was, chiefly, that as soon as you're sure you know where it's going to end up, it doesn't end up where you were sure it was going.

When I was there, we had some terrific docents; guys who had actually been involved in this stuff and it simply doesn't get any better than that because in that circumstance, the word is coming straight from the horse's mouth. We were given some really wonderful history lessons after each very full day of training.

Have you ever wondered why they created that immensely deep hole on the test site? It is true that the Nevada Test Site kind of looks like the surface of the moon from the air but there is one, particularly deep hole known as the Sedan Crater. That blast created two plumes and ended up all over the darned place (and so, we a straight back to those nasty problems with predicting fallout). The list of 'OOPS moments' goes on and on.

By happy coincidence, I got married on the Collings Foundation's B-17G, the 909 and my wife and I took our vows in the radio shack as we broke through the clouds. That particular aircraft had formerly been called The Yucca Lady (SN 44-83575) and she was prepared and then subjected to three atmospheric nuclear tests at Yucca Flat on the Nevada Test Site, though I did not know that at the time of my wedding. Later, she was thoroughly decontaminated and made flyable. Point is, radiation is around us all the time and fallout isn't forever and things don't magically become radioactive. They become contaminated with radioactive particles.

Happily, the people who were playing with these deadly toys slowly learned their lessons. They attempted to find peacetime applications for the power of the atom (which would have had the added benefit of helping to pay for more experimentation and even more effective military devices). There were attempts to build atomic rocket motors to take us into space and beyond (which would have spewed fallout hither and yon). Sedan Crater was part of a theoretical plan to be able to create strategic canals using a daisy chain of bombs, aptly named "Operation Plowshare." Drill some holes, plant your devices and BANG...instant canal through any landmass you care to cross. But in the end we were fortunate that everyone came to the same conclusion and that was, these sorts of things were far too messy.

....and there you have it....a mini history lesson.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 18th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Bringing up again... saw this on Ebay. Thought someone may be interested. (Not Mine)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MWO-9-2320-218 ... 0538!US!-1

Davy Crockett Manual. I would assume these manuals would be as rare as the vehicles themselves.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin