This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Panzerjunky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need some help with brakes

Unread post by Panzerjunky » January 19th, 2011, 3:06 am

Good evening Gents
I am in need of some advise on My mutts brakes. When I step on the brake pedal it goes clear to the floor with no effect on stopping the vehicle There is fluid in the MC but not all the way to the threads and there is no evidence of leakage at the wheel cylinders . The Tm shows how to take it all apart and adjust but my question is. Where would you start in trouble shooting My plan was start with a new MC Pull the tires and drums to check Wheel Cylinders and shoes If looks good put in new fluid and bleed. I really dont want to do complete new brakes yet as I am planning a 100% tear down and that would be a little bit of a waste but if thats what it needs that is what it needs. I just need it to run for a while to get it to DMV ect. What would your order of checking things be?
Thanks Jerry

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Need some help with brakes

Unread post by Horst » January 19th, 2011, 5:40 am

I would first try to bleed the system. If you can't get that to work then your master cylinder needs to be serviced.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » January 19th, 2011, 10:46 am

Hey PJ,
Horst's advise is always good. You also may have touched on that dreaded brake fluid question. Here is one of many threads on the subject. Your solution may be a little more work than simple air in the lines bleeding.
http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=232 ... rake+fluid
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Panzerjunky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Panzerjunky » January 19th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Thanks For the info
As Horst stated can I rebuild the MC or should I just get a new one they are cheap enough?
Thanks Jerry

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » January 19th, 2011, 3:20 pm

If you have identified that the MC is the issue you will need to remove it anyway. Have band aid ready for use (or remove the entire brake-clutch system as one unit). After you have removed it and disassembled it it will be easy to decide what to do. If there is no rust in the cylinder and only the gaskets where the problem, get a cheap repair kit and rebuild the MC. If there is rust or pitting,it is not worth the trouble , get a new one instead. They are not too expensive.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

Panzerjunky
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Panzerjunky » January 19th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Thanks Will do on the MC removal will do that this weekend most likely. There is a Fella on this board who did an awsome restro of an A1 desert tan there was a huge picture documentation of it How would I get in touch with him?
also what was the line coming out of the master Cylinder fill port fo the cover to it and what was the small door on the pass side of the cowel in front of the window and lastly ( at least for this time) what is the wire coming out of the end of my stearing gear.
Thanks Jerry

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » January 20th, 2011, 12:22 am

Hey PJ,
I Might have a chance to type this up before someone much more qualified answers all the questions.
The guy your thinking of is Ace as in aceecaus. He'll probably find you at this point. :)
Master cylinder line is an MC vent for a fording kit.
Small door is the cowl vent allowing forced air flow in for the vents in the windshield when your moving.
The wire is for the horn. When it comes down to that a simple search or request for help will help you get the horn up and running.
Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » January 20th, 2011, 4:23 am

hello

if you can not find a leak at the wheels cylinders
if you must have new cylinders look at it for the diameter 3/4 inch or 1 inch
adjust the brakes first
turn the adjusting wheel till the brake drum is firm
turn the adjuster 11 clicks back
take a look at the mc at the pedal side for a leak ( take the rubber off and look )
before you can bleed the brakes you must know the type brake liquid (silicone or normal )
to test take a little old liquid put some water at it and let it stand for a half hour
if it mix it the normal one dot 4 if it separates it is silicone (do not mix them you get problems )
begin to bleed with the wheels at the back side next the front
fill the mc till the bottom of the tread

good luck

george

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by bazookajoe » January 20th, 2011, 8:13 pm

all of your wheel cylinders may be stuck, if you loosten one bleeder screw and pump your brakes and fluid comes out it may not be your mc......at which I would remove the wheel cyls. 1 at a time and disassemble and clean or replace as necessary. Quite frequently wheel cyls. can freeze up if not driven.. good-luck.....not a bad job to tackle.