faulty address (solved)

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

faulty address (solved)

Unread post by rupert's » July 21st, 2021, 5:35 pm

Good afternoon mates! today was the first day that I have been able to legally circulate on the road! In general it has been a very good day but I have detected a problem, I will tell you ...

On straight sections of road I have to continuously correct the direction of the car, it becomes very tiring to continually give steering wheel corrections ...
I have detected that the steering wheel has a lot of play and it seems that when the wheels look straight they have a little margin of movement and for this reason the car deviates from its direction.
I think I have seen somewhere that you can adjust the play on the steering box. Can you confirm it for me? Maybe the screw on the top of the case? Has anyone done this before?

Greetings to all!

I edit to say the solution.
The steering box had play, I solved it following the indications that they give me in the thread, tightening the flat screwdriver nut on the top of the steering box.
It also had play because the piece that connects the steering column to the steering box was a bit loose and at that point it also had play.
Adjusting these two points I have managed to leave the address very well.
Un saludo a todos y gracias por sus respuestas!
Last edited by rupert's on July 26th, 2021, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: faulty address

Unread post by kmam » July 21st, 2021, 5:43 pm

I would be looking at the suspension as a whole, especially the bushings. The simplest thing would be to have a wheel alignment done (if not done already) as this will quickly show if you have problems such as I mention.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » July 21st, 2021, 6:03 pm

Kman! thanks for your quick response!
The bushings of the suspension arms are new, the ball joints are also new and the steering knuckles are not new but they are good ...
I have done the alignment in the garage, I know that it is not completely right and I have to take it to the tire workshop so that they can do it well. I think that although the alignment is not good, the direction should not move so much to both sides.
If it were an alignment problem, it would deviate to one side. My car deviates randomly to the sides, so I think that the problem is in that margin that the steering wheel has.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » July 21st, 2021, 6:09 pm

You can adjust the steering box - I have done mine but it was so long ago I cannot remember if there were any cautions. I am sure someone will come back with info about that...

Good luck.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » July 21st, 2021, 7:04 pm

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 21st, 2021, 8:25 pm

Alignment can cause all kinds of problems. If your toe adjustment is too far in, as in toed in, then you will get exactly what you are getting. Also, if the caster is set to close to zero it can cause the same issues. Lay under the front on a hard surface and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and see if there is any play in any of the joints. Also check for any excess movement is the steering shaft before the pitman shaft starts to move. If you see that then you need to tighten the steering box adjustment. Be careful not to go too tight or it will bind at the center point.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » July 22nd, 2021, 5:38 am

hi

the worm is as a diabolo
locknut loose screw in less play
adjust the play at staight forwards
if have set it you see at turn to a side there is more play this is normal
if it get stuck a bit box is worn out and replace it
you can fill it with a mix of oil and grease (thick oil )

george

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » July 22nd, 2021, 1:11 pm

Understood friends! tomorrow I follow your instructions to adjust the address! I keep you informed!

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » July 26th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Solved! the connecting piece between the steering column and the steering box was not tight enough and there was play ... I put video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S65_qthP98
I have tightened the nut that they have told me of the steering box to the maximum and everything is solved. now the direction is going very well! without orgura.
All the best

rickf
General
General

Re: faulty address (solved)

Unread post by rickf » July 26th, 2021, 5:06 pm

You must be too used to driving those Italian sports cars!!! Or the Porches. Over here anything less than a quarter turn play in the wheel on a military vehicle is considered tight! Hell, some of my cars when I was young had that much play in the wheel, doing over a hundred MPH on a regular basis. But back then we were all invincible. Remember those days? :roll: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: faulty address (solved)

Unread post by rupert's » July 26th, 2021, 5:53 pm

rickf wrote:
July 26th, 2021, 5:06 pm
You must be too used to driving those Italian sports cars!!! Or the Porches. Over here anything less than a quarter turn play in the wheel on a military vehicle is considered tight! Hell, some of my cars when I was young had that much play in the wheel, doing over a hundred MPH on a regular basis. But back then we were all invincible. Remember those days? :roll: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am 31 years old! Those times did not exist for me, and it is also the first time that I drive a car with such old mechanics ...
I have not had the pleasure of living that time you mention, full of adventures with these cars! Maybe that's why I watch a game and think it's wrong ... just like when I drive 45 miles per hour I hear the gears in the gearbox and it looks like they're going to fly out of that box.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:In fact, 50 I have not passed yet ... for you this is normal but it is difficult for me to get used to it ringing, drinking, scratching, or dropping drops :lol: :lol: :lol:
A hug