Plastic cap plugs

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m270mlrs2
Corporal
Corporal

Plastic cap plugs

Unread post by m270mlrs2 » April 16th, 2021, 11:01 am

Good morning my M151a2 has had the military rust proofing MWO but the plugs are missing from the holes underneath the vehicle along the channels. Would you just leave them off or replace them. I don't take the vehicle out in the mud or off road. Just checking to see what you guys think. Thanks for any advice.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Plastic cap plugs

Unread post by Mark » April 16th, 2021, 11:29 am

I would leave them off so no water stays in the channels, my memory might not be working good so take this with a grain of salt.LOL
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Plastic cap plugs

Unread post by m3a1 » April 16th, 2021, 11:51 am

It's really a crap shoot. By leaving the caps off, road grit, dust and similar WILL migrate into those spaces from the eddy currents created by driving down the road. That stuff will then capture and hold moisture from the inevitable changes in humidity.

Consider the particulates in your average farm barn and what they do. They settle on everything, and that layer of 'dust' captures moisture and the inevitable corrosion process begins, creating something we all know and love... BARN FINDS!

Leave the caps ON and you might just keep a lot of stuff out of there.

All that said, one of the benefits of having your MUTT's floor get really warm from time to time is that it would have the effect of drying those areas out.....provided the moisture has a way out! So sealing those areas up tightly might seem like a good idea on one hand...and NOT a good idea on the other.

The real solution to your problem is a simple one. Give your MUTT to me and I'll do ALL your worrying for you. Trust me. You'll sleep better at night.

:lol: