Engine will not shut off

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Engine will not shut off

Unread post by acudanut » September 29th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Just Installed new wiring harness. Engine wont stop. idea's ?
Last edited by acudanut on September 30th, 2020, 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Engine won;t shut off

Unread post by bazookajoe » September 29th, 2020, 10:12 pm

hot lead in constant contact with distributor....i would leave the distributor disconnected till you find the mistake in the connections to save the coil.

acudanut

Re: Engine will not shut off

Unread post by acudanut » September 30th, 2020, 5:39 am

I wonder what I did wrong ?

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » September 30th, 2020, 8:07 am

hi

the wire no 12 ignition come straight from the ignition switch
it go also to the alternator as no 568

at the switch the two no 11 go at the A and C no 27 at B no 12 at D

it is also posseble a diode inside the alternator is not good
take wire 568 loose from the altenator and try agian

george

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » September 30th, 2020, 11:40 am

I am betting on the Alternator. It was missing it's pulley when I bought it, so it must have been bad to begin with. !!

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 30th, 2020, 2:06 pm

This really has my curiosity as you turn on the switch which energizes the coil/distributor, etc.You turn the switch off, opens the circuit up stops the electric/spark etc.Maybe I am repeating answer again, George(Svramselaar) is the man with the tech-know how.Bad switch?Pop the clutch with brake on to kill the engine?Then trouble shoot the wire in the distributor?Alternator?
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 1st, 2020, 12:26 am

I am going to replace the Alternator. I will let you know the results. My gosh, these are not cheap.

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » October 1st, 2020, 6:31 am

hi

leave the alternator at the engine only loose the thin wire connector (568)
try again if the engine stops or not
if the engine stops the altenator has a bad diode inside it give`s power to the wire to the ignition if the engine runs contact off
be shure you have the wiring at the contact switch is correct see above
if you have the wire 568 loose and take the wire 12 from the contact switch engine wil not stop you have a short at the 12 wire or 568 to positive

let us know the solution

george

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » October 1st, 2020, 8:22 pm

my guess ...switch...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 2nd, 2020, 9:30 am

Well, I have been watching to see how many guess's there were and there were a few, all good ones. But do NOT start throwing new parts at it to find the problem!!!!! That is expensive, wasteful, and will not always solve the problem. Mark had the best suggestion when he said to stall it with the clutch and diagnose from there. Start by removing the wire from the distributor so you do not cook the coil and also so you have a convenient point to check to see if you are still getting power to the distributor. As soon as you remove that wire check to see if it has power on it, it should if it was still running. If so go to the alternator and remove the small wire that George mentioned and check for power again. No power? then alternator is bad. If there is still power then there is nothing wrong with the alternator and you just saved yourself several hundred dollars! Pull the #12 wire off of the ignition switch and check for power, no power? Then the switch is probably bad. If there is still power then you will need to follow that wire from the distributor back and see where it is shorted to power but I will bet one of the two places mentioned is the problem. I lean towards the switch either bad or connected wrong.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 6th, 2020, 4:06 am

Thanks guys. I will attack this problem asap. The switch was tested before I bought it, from a member here.!!

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 7th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Last edited by acudanut on October 7th, 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 7th, 2020, 3:59 pm

I have looked through the TM's and still think something is missing on the Alternator.
Did you notice my new freeze plugs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 7th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Seems to me you have an extra wire on the alternator and they should be coming in from the end not the side. You should have #568 which is the field wire and is a small wire, #5 which is a heavy wire and goes to the main charging post in the alternator and #3 which is the ground which I see off to the side. But you have another medium sized wire in there that is not on the diagram, what number is that? The one with the blue on it?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 7th, 2020, 11:07 pm

rickf wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 5:01 pm
Seems to me you have an extra wire on the alternator and they should be coming in from the end not the side. You should have #568 which is the field wire and is a small wire, #5 which is a heavy wire and goes to the main charging post in the alternator and #3 which is the ground which I see off to the side. But you have another medium sized wire in there that is not on the diagram, what number is that? The one with the blue on it?
Rick, that is wire #5 (paint code blue). Extra wire ? Not sure about that. Dang I hate electrical problems. On the far left of the pic, it looks like I am missing another connection. ???? I Thank you for your time. Salute !!!!