BEARING PROBLEM ON FRONT HUB

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

BEARING PROBLEM ON FRONT HUB

Unread post by acudanut » August 31st, 2020, 7:50 pm

I don't know what is going on here. Never seen this before. Need Help/Advise
I marked my problem area with red tape. It is keeping my outer bearing from seating/going in.. Both races went in fine. Bearings are the same size inner/outer as you know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: BEARING PROBLEM ON FRONT HUB

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » August 31st, 2020, 9:05 pm

Looks to me like part of the old bearing is still on the hub?? :?
dan-2beers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 31st, 2020, 9:17 pm

Now that sounds logical. When I bought this project it was missing the outer bearing. I wonder how the heck to get my issue fixed. !!
BYW, I know I am also going to need another drum. Anyone have one for sale ??
I am open for idea's here folks. Maybe buy another spindle ? Anyone have one ,I need a solution.... Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. I love this site, and no. i don't know it all !!!!!!!!

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » August 31st, 2020, 9:35 pm

You should be able to cut with a cut off wheel on a pencil grinder. Take your time and get it close to cutting through. Take a chisel and CAREFULLY finish. The bearing will be hard and you should be able to crack and break off remaining material. Key to this is taking your time.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 31st, 2020, 9:47 pm

Concur with previous post. I had a similar situation on a trailer there the bearing had seized to the spindle and I had to carefully tap the drum off and it took most of the bearing with it, but left the "welded" on inner ring of the bearing on the spindle. I just carefully chiseled off the metal that was left and then sanded the spindle smooth.
The metal that holds these bearing together is pretty thin as the rollers carry the weight.

I'd hold off on looking for a new spindle until you can examine your old one. But unles this bearing scored the spindle, the spindle is your toughest part of this equation.
Take you time and beat the heck out of it, both are good therapys.

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » August 31st, 2020, 10:07 pm

acudanut wrote:
August 31st, 2020, 9:17 pm
Now that sounds logical. When I bought this project it was missing the outer bearing. I wonder how the heck to get my issue fixed. !!
BYW, I know I am also going to need another drum. Anyone have one for sale ??
I am open for idea's here folks. Maybe buy another spindle ? Anyone have one ,I need a solution.... Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. I love this site, and no. i don't know it all !!!!!!!!
Spindles are kind of cheep but the hubs are not!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPINDLE-HUB-WI ... Sw~2hbxI4F

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-M151-A1-A2 ... SwImBfIt9t

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M151-VEHICLE-F ... SwK31ZuvMW
dan-2beers.jpg
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 1st, 2020, 2:16 am

You might also consider using a cut-off wheel. Simply hold the handle of the tool in-line with the spindle's shaft and work into the section of the bearing. In other words, you won't be cutting as much as you will be using the cutting wheel to gently remove metal in a line, rather than making a normal cut-groove.

Also, there is no need to be going all the way through the section. The area where you are removing metal will turn blue from the heat when you are nearly there.

Then, a couple of gentle and judicious taps with the chisel and she'll split, I guarantee it. It might also give up the ghost on its own because that metal will be hot from the grinding. By the time you get that deep into it expansion may cause it to split all on it's own. That will surely make it loose enough to remove without much effort.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 1st, 2020, 6:30 am

m3a1 wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 2:16 am
You might also consider using a cut-off wheel. Simply hold the handle of the tool in-line with the spindle's shaft and work into the section of the bearing. In other words, you won't be cutting as much as you will be using the cutting wheel to gently remove metal in a line, rather than making a normal cut-groove.

Also, there is no need to be going all the way through the section. The area where you are removing metal will turn blue from the heat when you are nearly there.

Then, a couple of gentle and judicious taps with the chisel and she'll split, I guarantee it. It might also give up the ghost on its own because that metal will be hot from the grinding. By the time you get that deep into it expansion may cause it to split all on it's own. That will surely make it loose enough to remove without much effort.
This is what I said without the all the detail. ;)

Guy

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » September 1st, 2020, 8:38 am

there is a tool for M151 series specifically designed to remove this part. i had one in my set, but i sold the set when i sold the jeep. maybe you can borrow one?

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 1st, 2020, 9:28 am

Mike,

If you have a pencil grinder and get a 2 or 3" cut off wheel, it's a fairly easy job and won't take very long. Like you, if I had the proper tool I would use but if not, this is a very acceptable way to go about it.

Guy

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » September 1st, 2020, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the advise guys. This spindle is shot,The wheel studs almost just fall out, so I just ordered a new one. !!