Painting masks for camo pattern

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Painting masks for camo pattern

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm

I am referring to what I would like to paint this MUTT, the MERDC SUMMER VERDAN scheme which uses FOUR shades. No brown in this scheme. I live in Atlanta, GA and am not interested in painting a vehicle in a winter camo pattern. But, I'm sure yours looks great.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 5th, 2020, 6:14 am

mutt and jeff wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I am referring to what I would like to paint this MUTT, the MERDC SUMMER VERDAN scheme which uses FOUR shades. No brown in this scheme. I live in Atlanta, GA and am not interested in painting a vehicle in a winter camo pattern. But, I'm sure yours looks great.
It's dead simple.... if it is "USMC"...there are NO stars on the vehicle. NONE ! It doesn't matter what geographical or seasonal pattern is used....no stars.

Here's the 4-colour MERDC pattern for Summer - US & Europe. Note the colour numbers used for this.
Ken

Last edited by muttguru on August 5th, 2020, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 5th, 2020, 9:34 am

Yes, this was the template that I was planning on using as a pattern. I was surprised to see a pattern used on the interior of a vehicle. Presume with canvas top up, this would be a large green square. Same with jerry can and spare tire on rear of vehicle. My first template was something different found on the internet that showed each of the four wheels painted a solid color, one dark green, one light gree, one black and one sand. And, the black and sand wheels were on the same side of the vehicle, I thought that looked really odd.
I like the above template much better. And, yes, I notice, no registration numbers or national identity markings.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 7th, 2020, 9:40 am

Getting back to the original issue of masking off the different patterns for the different colors, I am researching liquid paint mask material, kind like a Goof Off type product that I can paint the jeep the dark green base color and then outline the light green pattern with a brush on liquid mask and then spray the light green. Rub off the mask material and I should have a cleaner line that if I just rattle canned the light green. I know the military would not have done it this way and just oversprayed everything, but I think this may be an option for the cleaner look I am wanting.

I've got to gifure out how to project the template onto the top view of the jeep. I can tilt the jeep a little using my fork lift, but I realy don't want to take the tub off and mount it on a rotisserie for this job.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 7th, 2020, 10:21 am

As has been said before, the whole idea of the camo paint is for one color to blend into the other. I understand that you want clean sharp lines between each color but I suggest that maybe you take the hood off and try that idea on just the hood and you will realize pretty quick that the look is going to be really strange looking. As for a removable paint mask, what about rubber cement? Sure would need a lot of it and you might want to do it outdoors. I have used cooking oil in the past wiped on thin with a paper towel to keep paint from sticking, Then wash off with Dawn dish detergent when other paint is good and dry.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » August 7th, 2020, 5:59 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:52 pm
ook ok, now I understand you, you want the merdc with the two main colors green hehe okay, I take the opportunity to put a link of a mutt painted with the straight lines instead of blurring the colors, and with stars and inscriptions, I also think it is It looks weird, it is also more complicated to paint ...

Before painting my A2 I was also undecided, but in the end I decided to do it by blurring the colors, it looks more original. a greeting

https://m151jeep.com/painting-color-camouflage