Exhaust gaskets question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Exhaust gaskets question

Unread post by mutt and jeff » July 20th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Have an exhaust leak so I ordered the three gaskets for the exhaust system. But the gap where I have the leak appears to be larger than these think fibre gaskets will seal. So I want to make sure I have the correct parts in hand prior to removing bolts and flange.
My gap is at the joint where I feel the manifold pipe comes off the engine, curves around where the oil drain is and runs about 10" straight towards the rear of the MUTT. I feel a lange and two bolts and, when running, a lot of exhaust coming out that joint.
I get confused when reading about gaskets and donuts and where the thin gaskets go. I was expecting three donut thicker gaskets in my package.

So do I just pack in enough thin gaskets to seal the deal? Or does this location require a thicker donut style gasket?

I'll hang up and listen

rickf
General
General

Re: Exhaust gaskets question

Unread post by rickf » July 20th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Here is what an exhaust gasket set looks like. https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-2757-m1 ... odels.aspx.
The two gaskets with the two holes in them go at each end of the system, one at the end of the exhaust manifold by the clutch linkage and the other at the other extreme end where the short exhaust tip bolts on. The other three special clamps and thin washer type gaskets go on the rest of the joints. Your description is a bit confusing but you are mentioning flange so I am guessing you mean the one at the end of the manifold by the clutch linkage. If you have the whole set like I linked to it would be best to loosen all of the joints and start at that first flange at the manifold and tighten that one up. Then wiggle the muffler around until the one from the muffler to the pipe you just tightened lines up good and straight and tighten that one but not super tight. And so on down the line. Once they are all snugged up and nothing is hitting the drive shaft or body then go back and tighten the rest of the clamp bolts a little on each side til tight. This system is a pain to get in right so that it does not hit anything and yet all the joints line up. It will happen but you need to be patient.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » July 20th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Well, I have certainly been know to confuse people. But your reply and pic of the parts lead me to go back under the MUTT. So, from the manifold to an exhaust pipe that runs behind the oil drain plug and then comers over to the passenger side before it passes through the frame ther is not a flange, but a clamp that connects the two pipes, but does not hang from any sort of mount. I am getting a lot of exhaust from that joint, but I don't see a new clamp helping that area.
Then the pipe passes through the frame or crossmembers and connects to the front of the muffler, there is no clamp at all at that joint, but no leakage and I do ot feel weld slag.
Then the muffler with a hanger braket as part of the front of the muffler connect to the tub bottom.
Then another pipe coming out of the muffler with no clamp at this joint and a little exhaust leak puffing away.

So, my view now is that Bubba was starting disassemble the exhaust system or had installed this system and half the clamps are missing. I feel one clamp and one hanger in this entire system as it now sits.

I purchase the three fibre round gaskets with no bolts hols in them in the pic but have no idea where they would go as the clamps on the jeep and in the pics run around the two pipe sections.

I have one NOS muffler and one NOS pipe that I believe is the faily straight pipe that goes from this first joint under the passenger seat and runds through into the muffler. I think I will disassemble all and replce with new, probably save the A1 specific tail pipe if I can.

Thanks for the direction. When can you come over and help?

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » July 20th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Perhaps this will help. go to the top of this page and look for this under the photos , "Quick linksFAQG838 Resource ListG838 ManualsG838 , click on G838 Manuals", click on TM 9-2320-218-20P after it loads scroll down to page 52, figure 25 :roll:
dan-2beers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » July 20th, 2020, 6:10 pm

Here's the picture from the 34P.

Are you sure you have the correct sections for the vehicle? There are some A2-specific sections and these cannot be used on the earlier models.
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » July 20th, 2020, 8:25 pm

I think I got Bubba figured out. The header pipe to the first pre muffler pipe is where I am having a leak. Pulled the clamshell type clamp off and pulled out the remains of previous fibre gasket. Put two new fiber gaskets on the male side of the header pipe and inserted back into the female pre muffler pipe and my son will put the clamp back on while I put pressure on the muffler to get a tight seal.
All feels original. Jooint after the muffler has no clamp on it but Bubba has welded it, same with the rest of the system out to the tail pipe. All appear A1 pipes, but when the gaskets failed, Bubba just removed the clamps and welded the joint shut.

Hopefully, my new gaskets will stop the leak and I can make it a few more seasons. With this mutt came new muffler with the long pipe attached and the first pipe after the muffler, so if I need to replace the whole system, I am halfway there.

Thanks for the direction.