Windshield Glass Size - A2 model

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Windshield Glass Size - A2 model

Unread post by mutt and jeff » July 26th, 2020, 10:30 am

Just jumping in here to share our recent glass experience. This was for a Dodge WC56 command car. We took the windshield up to the local glass shop and and expected an $75 estimate for two pieces of safety glass. This vehicle is for static display and will not be driven on the road. The estimate for DOT approved laminated glas was $180 for the two pieces. We said it did not need to be DOT approved as this vehicle is not a driver. Their position was that, because we handed them a windshield, it had to be windshield glass. If we tok the windshield home and gave them the dimensions, they would give us whatever we wanted. We would have to install it ourselves.

I'm not suggesting that forum members do anything that would jeopardize their personal safety, but if you take your windshield up to a glass shop, be prepared for a little sticker shock. A template with dimensions might provide forum members with more options. As an aside, we did go with the DOT approved glass at the higher price, and I will go look now, but I am not aware that any etched markings are on these panes of glass, so I don't know how any inspection would reveal what type of glass it is. Perhaps I need to carry the receipt from the glass shop in my vehicle document pouch.

Just saying . . .

199th mp
Major
Major

Re: Windshield Glass Size - A2 model

Unread post by 199th mp » July 26th, 2020, 2:06 pm

mutt and jeff wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 10:30 am
Just jumping in here to share our recent glass experience. This was for a Dodge WC56 command car. We took the windshield up to the local glass shop and and expected an $75 estimate for two pieces of safety glass. This vehicle is for static display and will not be driven on the road. The estimate for DOT approved laminated glas was $180 for the two pieces. We said it did not need to be DOT approved as this vehicle is not a driver. Their position was that, because we handed them a windshield, it had to be windshield glass. If we tok the windshield home and gave them the dimensions, they would give us whatever we wanted. We would have to install it ourselves.

I'm not suggesting that forum members do anything that would jeopardize their personal safety, but if you take your windshield up to a glass shop, be prepared for a little sticker shock. A template with dimensions might provide forum members with more options. As an aside, we did go with the DOT approved glass at the higher price, and I will go look now, but I am not aware that any etched markings are on these panes of glass, so I don't know how any inspection would reveal what type of glass it is. Perhaps I need to carry the receipt from the glass shop in my vehicle document pouch.

Just saying . . .
in order to justify the expense of AS-1 grade laminated safety glass, there MUST be a visible trademark, indicating AS-1, present on the glass. this is REQUIRED under the federal motor vehicle safety standards applicable to ALL windshields in use in the united states. this is not a matter subject to debate. it is also required in order to pass any state required vehicle inspections. if such a trademark is not visible on your glass, not only are you NOT in compliance with those standards, there exists a possibility you have, in fact, been provided a lesser grade of product. any shop installing that glass WITHOUT a visible trademark, is not in compliance with the law, and should be reported to not only your state consumer affairs office, but also to whichever agency licenses that business in your state, and also to the feds as well. were i in your place, i would print off a copy, take it back to the shop, and insist that you be provided with AS-1 grade glass, WITH a visible trademark on each piece. i no longer have my copies of the requirements, or i would post them to you. begin your search under FMVSS 208, 212 and 216. my memory is not what it used to be. best of luck to you.