Ok, what is missing here ?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Ok, what is missing here ?

Unread post by acudanut » July 11th, 2020, 4:55 pm

1962 steering column.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acudanut

Re: Ok, what is missing here ?

Unread post by acudanut » July 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I would think there is a bearing that is missing ?

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » July 11th, 2020, 9:22 pm

steering wheel?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 11th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Download the -20p and look up the steering column and see what is there. Also look in the -20 or -34 and see what they say about repairing those parts.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 11th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Rick, -20 or -30 I am not getting it. ?? I don't own any TM's, or know where to download this info. Thanks !!

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » July 12th, 2020, 7:42 am

If you go to the top of this page and click on G838 manuals you will be able to see all of the manuals for the M151.
The numbering system relates to the different kind of manuals; For example the -10 series relates to how to operate
-20 is basic maintenance and -30 relates to the more advanced (overhaul) maintenance.
The letter "P" after the number tells your that the have Photos /Pictures There are free to down load and use.
Hope this helps
Bruce

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » July 12th, 2020, 8:04 am

Mike,

Do yourself a favor and get some manuals. I personally like having the actual books. I'd rather flip paper pages compared to online but that's just me. It'll make your restoration much easier.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 12th, 2020, 9:20 am

acudanut wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Rick, -20 or -30 I am not getting it. ?? I don't own any TM's, or know where to download this info. Thanks !!
Just above the title here under the header picture, where it says manuals. I am the absolute last person that will say RTFM but I also will say that you have to have a working knowledge of the vehicle. You are always asking us to help you with this stuff but I think a lot of it you can probably find and or do yourself. Then if you still have questions then you ask but you at least have a picture in your mind by that time.
added_pages/manuals.html
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 12th, 2020, 10:06 am

rickf wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 9:20 am
acudanut wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Just above the title here under the header picture, where it says manuals. I am the absolute last person that will say RTFM but I also will say that you have to have a working knowledge of the vehicle. You are always asking us to help you with this stuff but I think a lot of it you can probably find and or do yourself. Then if you still have questions then you ask but you at least have a picture in your mind by that time.
added_pages/manuals.html
Sorry, I thought this site was for help. ?

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » July 12th, 2020, 10:41 am

It is Mike. The suggestion of getting manuals is for your benefit. I find mine very useful even if it's just confirming what I think I know. Nice to have the proper guidance. And, if something isn't clear or is difficult, I always refer to the experts of this site or other people that I know.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 12th, 2020, 11:18 am

We ARE here to help and we're not trying to be unkind. All of this begins with instructing our fellow MUTT owners how to use all the resources the site has for them and getting folks to realize that hitting the books...call it 'homework' is their responsibility. This is kind of a give-a-man-a-fish/teach-a-man-to-fish scenarios. So we're trying to help get you up on your feet so you can take your place among the trusted advisors on the site.

The manuals are the bedrock foundation of our accumulated knowledge. Beyond that, members are here to share their experiences, tips, and tricks. So, we're not being unkind. We're here to help you achieve your goals and it gives us a lot of pleasure to do that. But the truth also is, a lot of us have forgotten some of this unusual stuff (such as your steering column issue) or we have never had to deal with it...which means we end up having to get into the manual in order to assist you and hitting the books is really your responsibility, right?

And let's face it...for all of us, one of the hardest things in this process is not what questions to ask but how to ask them, using the correct terminology. That begins with proper nomenclature and that sort of thing comes from the manuals. A question, properly phrased, using the correct names for things will get a person a useful answer far more quickly and efficiently than a vague question or comment.

Do not fear the manuals! Sooner or later, you will be helping others with information based not only upon what you have heard from us, but also from your experience, which also should be based upon what you have gotten out of the manuals coupled with our answers. Imagine if someone was just trying a bit too hard to be helpful and just ginned up some cockeyed answer to a question you asked. How would you know if their answer wasn't quite right, without at least some basic knowledge? So the manuals are really a very necessary piece of the process. Hopefully, at some point you will also be advising another up-and-coming MUTT mechanic to look at the manuals.

You're a willing mechanic and that's terrific, because a lot of folks aren't. That really is half the battle, right there. Your willingness to roll up your sleeves and work is admirable and it is the starting point, but it is certainly not the ending point. My advice to you is, go for the gold. Click on G838 Manuals (right below the picture of the GI on the machine gun) and have a look around...not when you're just ready to do the work but perhaps the night before. You'll be pleasantly surprised at all the information in there. Not only will it make you a better MUTT mechanic. It will also make you a better contributor to the site. Correct, knowledgable information posted here is very valuable. We want everyone to be THAT guy!

There is an added bonus to playing around in the manuals. You will find that there is a lot of stuff in them that you probably never even thought about. I trip over little bits of use information almost every time I am in them. Time spent in the manuals will make you far better at this, far more quickly than just getting your information from us a teaspoon at a time.

Cheers,
TJ

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » July 12th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I retain more info by reading as opposed to watching a video, but pics are nice for a reference.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 12th, 2020, 12:25 pm

I like having an actual copy of the manuals, especially the 24 manuals. I also like the electronic downloaded manuals as I can print out the pages I need when doing a dirty job, and I don't have to worry about getting greasy fingerprints on my hard copy of the manuals.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 14th, 2020, 10:52 am

"The steering wheel is missing." - Captain Obvious

...and that's the kind of answer you can expect when you don't "hit the books".

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 14th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I will break down and buy some tm's. Thanks !!