No fuel to the carburetor

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m270mlrs2
Corporal
Corporal

No fuel to the carburetor

Unread post by m270mlrs2 » May 15th, 2020, 10:45 am

Good morning I am having an issue getting fuel to the carburetor. I just had the carb rebuilt and finally had some time to get it back on the vehicle. The vehicle ran for a second I guess there was some fuel left in the filter and then it quit running.I thought the carb might just need adjusting but then I noticed there was no fuel in the line or filter. I have the clear glass inline filter that feeds into the regular filter that goes to the carb. I pulled and made sure the fuel lines were not clogged, tried a new fuel pump, and all the different procedures in the TM to try to stat the vehicle. I am not sure what else to check. Thanks for any advice...also there are 10 fresh gallons of gas in the fuel tank..

rickf
General
General

Re: No fuel to the carburetor

Unread post by rickf » May 15th, 2020, 10:58 am

Have you tried disconnecting the line from the carb and cranking it to see if you get gas out of the line? If not then disconnect the line that goes into the fuel pump ( I am assuming this is an A2 with the pump on the engine) and have someone crank it while you check to see if it pulls a vacuum on the gas tank side of the pump. If it is pulling a vacuum then either the filter in the tank is clogged or you have a leak in the line leading to the pump and you are sucking air. If you do not feel any appreciable vacuum then the pump is bad.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » May 15th, 2020, 4:09 pm

as Rick says, if the pump does not deliver and you have already changed the fuel pump, even quite a small leak on the suction side will prevent fuel from being delivered
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

m270mlrs2
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by m270mlrs2 » May 19th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Ok just checked the two fuel pumps I have it didn’t seem like either one had any significant suction from what I could tell. One pump was the original take off and the second was a new one not USGI. I started checking at the gas cap which is set to normal open. The filter inside the tank was clean. The lines from the tank to the pump are clear no leaks. I guess it’s the fuel pump and or fuel tank cap. I mention the cap due to some fuel seepage/dampness around the cap where all the lines are. Any suggestions for a better vendor or type of fuel pump? I think I bought my new one from Midwest for about 89.00 plus shipping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 19th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Do you have access to a hand held vacuum pump? Like the one for bleeding brakes or checking various vacuum accessories? If you do then hook that to a section of clear tubing and the tubing to the line from the tank and pull about 34" of vacuum on it. You should get gas pretty quickly. Try not to let it get into the pump, hence the section of clear tubing. If you don't get gas then the problem is in the line or the pickup in the tank. Nothing to do with the cap or the gasket on top of the tank. Neither of those would affect what you have there. The gas cap would possibly affect you if it was closed after a long run but not right away. Now if you pull a lot of vacuum with that hand pump and then you get gas that proves you have a leak and if you get no vacuum at all you have a big leak. Or no gas at the pickup or the pickup fell off. Likewise, if you put the pump line on the inlet of the fuel pump and crank the engine you should see at least a few inches of vacuum. I am recommending for people to send their pumps to Then and Now to have them rebuilt. That way you know you have a guaranteed pump and it will work. The price is not much different from buying a NOS military pump and in the end that is exactly what you have. With NEW alcohol resistant parts and not new 40 years ago, now dried out parts.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 19th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Airtex 60577. Dirt cheap, bolts right up, available ANYWHERE for less than $20. Even if you may intend to go with a USGI fuel pump in the long run, an Airtex will not only help you figure out what's what but it's a heckuva nice thing to have on hand as a spare.

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by bazookajoe » May 19th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Just had a problem with my A2 this spring...would start, idle but not move, so i thought it was the fuel pump cuz it was a real weak woosh into the clear filter. Turned out to be the rubber fuel line just prior to the pump from the tank after the steel line, the outer covering had crumbled an allowed the line to flatten,choking off the flow. I replaced the rubber hose and viola...haha perfect function.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm

It's the little things that get ya.

m270mlrs2
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by m270mlrs2 » June 11th, 2020, 11:11 am

Good morning sorry for the delay but I did get the vacuum pump on the line and just like Rick said the fuel started to flow quickly. I did replace all the rubber fuel line on the whole system most of it was hard anyway. I tried to crank the engine but still no fuel up the line. I have a glass filter right before the in-line filter to the carburetor and it’s dry. I guess I will look for another fuel pump. I tried two take offs and the new one in the picture and still no results.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 11th, 2020, 4:39 pm

I know a lot of people say that slant 6 pump is the same and I will agree that it does run the engine but I am not convinced it is the same. I don't have the money to just go out and buy one to use for a comparison but if someone has one I suggest you take it and the factory pump and line them up so that you have a perfect view of the flange and foot side by side and tell me that they are exactly the same. From what I have seen in pictures it looks to me like the foot that rubs the cam is on a different plane than the original and even though it will work what is it going to do to the cam over time? Now that there is a place that rebuilds them I would have it rebuilt. I was going to stock the parts to do the rebuilds but since the carburetor rebuilds dropped to about zero after I dropped a LOT of money into an ultrasonic cleaner, and the carb kit prices doubled, I decided it was not a profitable thing for me to get into.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » June 12th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Rick.....

do you know if Then & Now will supply a new diaphragm for the Aertex fuel pump? I have a perfectly working pump but the diaphragm is brittle. I'd hope to avoid the high costs of sending the pump to T&N and the equally high cost of the company posting it back to me after servicing it. I can fit a new diaphragm if only I could get one. :(
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

When I asked if I could buy just the parts they said yes so I am assuming you could. If they can't ship to you let me know and I will get it and forward it on to Merry old England.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » June 13th, 2020, 4:02 am

hi

a long shot
if you try to pump with your hand is there fuel coming
i had one`s before with a other car the notch from the cam shaft was worn out so the pump lever go not up and down at the engine
you can check this also with the top from the pump of and start the membrane must go up and down

george

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » June 15th, 2020, 7:23 pm

rickf wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm
When I asked if I could buy just the parts they said yes so I am assuming you could. If they can't ship to you let me know and I will get it and forward it on to Merry old England.
Thanks Rick....
I'll get in touch with Then & Now and see what they have to say :D
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m270mlrs2
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by m270mlrs2 » July 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm

Good afternoon I finally got some time to work on this so here is where I am now. I got a NOS pump installed it and the the fuel started to flow and the engine started right up with no choke and ran perfect. As it was running the fuel started leaking at the 60 degree fitting at the carburetor. I removed the fitting and lock nut and put the filter directly at the carburetor. It did not leak like it was before dripping on the generator but there is still fuel leaking at the carburetor. I don’t want to keep tightening it and split the carburetor should I get some sealant for the filter threads or make the fitting tighter? I was so excited that it’s running but with the fuel leak I was pretty bummed out. I also noticed that there is no oil pressure reading on the gage I replaced the sending unit and have another gage in case it seems like I can’t chase this ghost away.....thanks for any advice