License Plate Mounting

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

License Plate Mounting

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » November 23rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

Hi from Tampa, folks. I hope all you guys are well and ready for a great, football and turkey-filled holiday.

Request your pictures/ideas on license plate mounting. I did the requisite search here on the board, and there was plenty of discussion on the matter, but the pictures were largely "gone" or blurred out by the photo bucket people.

I've read a couple ideas folks had mounting them to their jerry can--which looks kinda cool, but makes little sense once you start processing the idea of drilling holes into what's supposed to be a fuel can :)

I've also read a couple ideas on integrating a mount into the spare tire mount/retainer. (Sorry for improper nomenclature).

It would also be nice to provide light to the mount, which is a requirement in FL--but not a deal breaker for me as i don't see myself leading night convoys...but if anybody has ideas on wiring that up via one of the rear marker lights when vehicle's lights are on, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
dee
United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: License Plate Mounting

Unread post by m3a1 » November 23rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

As for the license plate mount (and since you like the Jerry can location) get two magnets (Home Depot, O'Reillys, Harbor Freight has em). You are looking for the sort that have a threaded center for a hook. The heavy duty magnets for this project claim to be able to hold 30-40lbs. Now, screw your plate directly to a few of those (be sure to protect your paint by putting something like a thin piece of shopping bag material over the magnet) and voilà...now you can put your plate wherever you want it and remove it cleanly to display your truck in it's proper military configuration. Be forewarned that the screw size is rather small so it will be necessary to use fender washers on both sides of the plate to get this done right.

As for the license plate light, if you go with a magnetic mount, may I suggest you google "battery powered license plate light" or "solar powered license plate light" because there are so many options available why go to the trouble of making something from scratch. This would make your license plates truly removable. Then, simply switch the light on for your annual vehicle safety inspection or night operations and no one will be the wiser. It's cheating, but only just a little bit. I think the benefit far outweighs cutting into a vintage wiring harness.

Option three might or might not be available in your state. Here in Texas, our vehicles can be registered as former military vehicles (a version of antique registration), are exempt from inspection and in Texas we display no plate because the hood number is our registration number. Naturally there are limitations for use but this may be something you want to look into.

Hope this helps you out in some small way.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Quick search - I found this on a form from Florida dated 2016.

(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.

It appears that if you intend to do more than exhibitions, parades, or public displays you are required to mount a non-antique plate. Again, this is from 2016 so laws may have changed.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » November 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

When I bought my A2 the previous owner had mounted his on the bumper by drilling holes in the bottom. I used the same location. I've thought about moving it as it looks a little off and when the bottom of the plate catches the ground while crossing a small stream, it makes a very interesting sound and wrinkles it pretty good!

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m38inmaine
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by m38inmaine » November 23rd, 2019, 7:25 pm

If you go to ebay or google type in "car dealer license plate magnets", these are specially made to mount plates, this is what I use and they work great.
12B
Combat Engineer

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 23rd, 2019, 7:55 pm

Here's how I did mine.....
Ken

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

elsasser7122
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elsasser7122 » November 24th, 2019, 2:14 am

65.jpg](https://postimg.cc/YG8JfH0j)

i mounted mine to the gas can, don't have to drill any holes, used a couple of 1/4 inch bolts. make the front plate to fit your license plate, then narrow it down to about 1 inch, bend at a 90 and put that part on top of the can, then cut a piece same width, and length of can and put underneath, drill the holes to the bolts. can take off anytime not needed, as for the light i got a 24 volt license plate light, and run the wires to the trailer plug in, when you turn your light on you got license plate light.
active duty 63-66
Sgt A Co. 385th M.P. Bn.
62 M151
64 M274A1
62 Chevy
31 Chevy
MVPA Member
VFW
America Legion

elsasser7122
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elsasser7122 » November 24th, 2019, 2:18 am

forgot to add that i put some felt between the pieces so not to mar the paint on the can.
active duty 63-66
Sgt A Co. 385th M.P. Bn.
62 M151
64 M274A1
62 Chevy
31 Chevy
MVPA Member
VFW
America Legion

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » November 24th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I put my plates in a frame, and latched it on inside of the rear spare tire like Ken's, only with plastic ties. Did it the same on the front with ties too.
Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 24th, 2019, 11:18 pm

I don't have license plates.

Nya-nya-nyahhh

Texas is a great place to live.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 24th, 2019, 11:22 pm

m38inmaine wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 7:25 pm
If you go to ebay or google type in "car dealer license plate magnets", these are specially made to mount plates, this is what I use and they work great.

OooOOooh! Those are pretty tricksy. I vote that m38inmain gave the most useful answer.

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » November 25th, 2019, 10:53 am

Maybe...BUT my way is cheaper ! :) Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » November 25th, 2019, 11:21 am

I built brackets for mine using aluminum strips that wrap around the front bumper and screw to the license plate. On the rear the same brackets are held on by the gas can strap.