Ignition left on

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Ignition left on

Unread post by bazookajoe » July 2nd, 2019, 2:38 pm

If the ignition is left on overnight with an electronic module in the distributor, will this definitely destroy the coil and module? I am charging the batteries now and hope she starts right up.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Ignition left on

Unread post by m3a1 » July 2nd, 2019, 4:41 pm

Not definitely but there is a very good chance you've damaged something. Much depends upon how well your batteries were charged at the beginning of the process.

What to do -
Remove the distributor housing cover.
Remove the coil and inspect for boil-out (will appear as black oil seeping from the joints in the coil.)
Remove the electronic ignition and inspect for melt-out of the resin seal that covers the circuitry.
Examine the lower regions of the distributor housing. Boil out will result in oil at the base of the coil's space. Melt-out will result in the resin coagulating on the mechanical spark advance and can cause these components to become somewhat glued together. Xylene or other type of hot solvent will do a good job during the cleanup phase. Glove up and use proper personal protective equipment. Never put solvents on the resin coating of an electronic ignition.

A coil is not necessarily ruined if it has experienced only limited boil-out but if it does work, consider that it is going to be compromised and should be replaced (if it works, I'd suggest getting a new not and putting the compromised one in your Oh Sh*t Kit). However, an electronic ignition will eventually fail if the resin seal is melted out. Also, electronic ignitions are not a go/no-go proposition. They can work on and off until they fail completely. (ask me how I know!)

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 2nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

50/50 on the cooked coil.Chances are that it will burn out one of the primary wires before boiling the coil, especially if it is a Chinese coil. Personally I would just charge the batteries and try to start it, it will either start or it will not start. Either way be sure to keep a spare coil and a spare ignition in your onboard spares kit. I have a complete and timing indexed points distributor in my box. If I lose ignition I do not even screw around with diagnosis on the side of the road. In ten minutes I can have the distributors swapped and thanks to the scribed line on the distributor I know the timing is set right at 6 degrees, I am back on the road. I will do the diagnosis later when I am home.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by bazookajoe » July 2nd, 2019, 8:53 pm

Fortunately she fired right up...and...i also carry an extra distributor.....easy to change out in an emergency...thanx for the tip

bazookajoe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by bazookajoe » July 16th, 2019, 7:22 am

Update...it ran for 10 miles,then died. Coil fried and module fried.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 16th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I'm not gonna say it... I'm NOT gonna say it...

But I will say this. I'm sorry ya gotta go through it.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 16th, 2019, 6:45 pm

If my ignition goes I am NOT going to put in a Chinese Swiss module! I will go with the Pertronix setup.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone