M2 Half Track

Military vehicles other than M-151s that might be of interest to our members

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: M2 Half Track

Unread post by m3a1 » June 16th, 2021, 9:58 am

Believe it or not, the original fuel tanks are constructed of rubber. They are self-dealing bladders and they are sort of triangular if you look at them on the short axis. I've only ever used one of the two and that was many years ago. In 2022, they will be...uh... 80 years old! :shock:

The other fellow in the area with a half track spent a lot of money and had stainless tanks made in the same shape and dimensions of the originals but, IMHO they were a wasted effort. He NEVER needed that capacity. All I will probably ever need to do is get through a parade. So, a boat tank or, if more fuel is needed, perhaps even a racing tank is the best bet.

The half track is set up for dual fuel tanks so I can always use two boat tanks if the need really arises.

I am absolutely disgusted with having fuel go bad in the tanks of my vehicles and I've seen what Seafoam apparently does to galvanized surfaces. Yes, a bold claim and no, I've not done a single scientific experiment but I do have a diesel tank that is mysteriously absent it's galvanized coating right up to the fuel line. :(

unnamed.jpg

I'm a single operator with many vehicles and they just don't get driven as frequently as they should so, I'm cutting my losses and going with a manageable sized fuel tank with a something other than a metal surface on the inside.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 16th, 2021, 11:33 am

If you look in a boating supply book they make an unbelievable array of sizes and shapes of tanks in plastic. You might find something that fits in the space. If it is a hidden space then a couple portable 10-15 gallon boat tanks would be perfect. When done using it take them out and put the gas in the Suburban. Or the mower, you DO mow the grass at least once a year right? And apparently diesel fuel will do that to a galvanized tank. After I replaced the front tank in my F250 I found out that you are not supposed to use the galvanized gasoline tank for diesel fuel. Oop's, well it has run 200,000 miles on it so I guess it doesn't do any real harm.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 16th, 2021, 1:52 pm

I dunno. Seems odd that the military would have spec-ed them out that way..

Elvis Presley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Elvis Presley » July 13th, 2021, 1:41 pm

All the best on getting your Half-Track going again!

It's great to see the progress you've made!!
1966 M151A1 ___All matching '44 M1 Garand
1951 H&R M1 Garland__1966 Fairlane GTA
1973 Torino wagon_____1942 03A3 - Unissued
1939 Unissued 1903____1944 M1 Inland Carbine
1966 M-16____________1943 1911A1
1918 Model 1917 .45 Revolver
1943 M1 Quality Hardware Carbine
1967 Saginaw 1919A6
1943 Saginaw 1919A4
1952 M1C and M1D Garands
KD8QEQ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 13th, 2021, 7:42 pm

Trying to get back to it. I really am. Suddenly, we're going to Disney World. Not that I'm complaining....

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » July 15th, 2021, 7:59 pm

try avgas the stuff never goes bad....
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » July 16th, 2021, 12:38 pm

I may have the wrong ones, but it looks like someone is selling NOS ones that were made by the French post war and there is another European company that makes reproductions but cost wise versus premade cans is a no brainer.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 29th, 2021, 11:02 am

There are starts and sudden stops, but the half track project continues....slowly.

Yesterday, I pasted the gaskets to the spacer that goes below the thermostat housing and lined up a few errant fasteners for it. That simple chunk of metal must weigh two pounds. The housing is even heavier.

There is a short section of hose that goes between the oil cooler and the thermostat housing. I'll have to cut one off of the big, bulk piece of hose I've rounded up here in town (courtesy of O-Reilly's Auto Parts). Unfortunately, I find that double-wire hose clamps are as rare as hen's teeth around here and I'm simply not going to spend the better part of a day looking for them in San Antonio, much less trying to GET to San Antonio. I will simply wait until they arrive from Amazon. At this point in time there is really no reason to rush putting it on only to have to take it off again to put the correct clamps on it. When I put that assembly on, it STAYS ON....and while my half track is about as far from Concours as one can get, I just cannot abide looking at modern clamps on that big ol' engine.

Just GETTING to San Antonio is a bloody nightmare... It's like being on the Trail of Tears. Construction projects have become so prolific around here our community has changed its motto to - "You can't get to there from here" and our schools have changed their official colors to - 'Safety Orange'. Members of the football team are all wearing hardhats and reflective vests at practice. Next week, city council will consider changing our community's name to Hotel California, because in THIS town, 'You can check out, but you can never leave'. TxDOT has clearly relinquished any oversight to what's going on.

We even have a small forest of signs at the South Exchange that read -

Did you top off your fuel?
Did you pack a lunch?
Get in the queue.
You'll be waiting (a bunch)

Burma Shave

Meanwhile, I'm thinking Amazon and UPS must be sharing some secret underground tunnel that connects our community to San Antonio because their drivers look like they've only been on the road for hours....rather than days.

Thankfully, if push comes to shove, the Gama Goat and I can always avoid roads altogether and I can overland out of here. That may mean having to drive over a few electric cars, through a few hedges and picket fences and backyard swimming pools but if this construction blockade continues, I think it may be worth causing a little property damage...

Be sure to wave if you see me driving by your back patio and don't bother calling out to me. I can't hear one darned thing with that big Jimmy howling away right behind my head.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 4th, 2021, 8:14 pm

A NEW thermostat, and a NEW thermostat housing are now in place and firmly bolted down on my half track's engine, along with NEW connecting hoses which join the thermostat housing to the oil cooler, in one direction and to the radiator, in another.

I couldn't seem to locate the ever-elusive 2 1/8" double wire hose clamps so I just went ahead with what I had on hand.

There comes a point in time where one just has to cry, "Uncle" (which is NOT exactly the word I used, by the way) and just forge ahead.

But it's on there and it's beautiful and....yes, even the new sock filter made it's way into the oil filter housing! 8)

Next up, an oil change!

Cheers,
TJ

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » August 4th, 2021, 8:38 pm

This seller on e-bay has them??

https://www.ebay.com/str/mikesobsoletea ... 7675.l2563
dan-2beers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Ooh, NICE! A bit pricey, tho... but, THANK YOU!

Well, once everything is running hunky-dory I might just come back to those.

Cheers,
TJ