Discovered rust I didnt know about :(

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Discovered rust I didnt know about :(

Unread post by Eddie Holland » July 8th, 2015, 9:26 pm

I got under my jeep a few days ago and saw a small rusted spot under the gas tank. The more I poked around on it the bigger the hole kept getting. I knew I needed to replace the battery floor and was afraid to do it with the gas tank in.. So I decided it was a good time to tackle it and see whats up under the gas tank.. The gas tank was a pain to get out.. The military installed the foot of the rops on top of the rear flange of the gas tank so I had to remove the 2 front bolts to the center Rops foot. After they were removed it was still a pain to get out. I finally prized it out.. When I got the tank out WHOOOOOOOO 2 inches of sandy wet mud under the tank.. I cleaned it out and found the rusted out areas in the floor under the tank.. then i got to tapping on the inside side of the jeep and discovered the side was also rusting out.. So now I got some metal to cut out and replace. I got the battery floor cut out also. I had a small rusted hole in the passenger floor board so a cut that rectangle out.. when I did the frame was under the hole and it was packed with brown sandy mud.. i flushed it out with a water hose. It was like packed solid! I will try to get some pictures.. What do you guy coat the inside of the battery box with to try to slow down deterioration?

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Discovered rust I didnt know about :(

Unread post by Fil Bonica » July 8th, 2015, 10:37 pm

I have used spray undercoating to finish the inside of the battery box.
After a couple of years it still looks good.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » July 8th, 2015, 11:19 pm

I thought about that..

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » July 31st, 2015, 1:29 pm

Swap out your batteries for Optima's, and you won't have the rust out problems you get with the lead acid. If you need a new battery tray floor, ask Fil.
Vin Zike