M151 6008 "Headhunter"

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

M151 6008 "Headhunter"

Unread post by Aswayze » November 30th, 2014, 11:18 pm

One of our East Wind guys who lives in South Texas picked this guy up a few years back. We have worked on it off an on since then but finally got it on the road this last weekend.

Rather than bore you with all the prior details I'll just cover the basics:

Started like this:

Needing a harness, 100% of the brake system, the usual rust repairs, and a myriad of other stuff. Not running, not ran in years.

I'll paste in my post from the East Wind forum next showing the work from the last Holiday weekend.

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: M151 6008 "Headhunter"

Unread post by Aswayze » November 30th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Great success!  

Curfman, Stagg, Z and I made the run down to South Texas from Kansas City starting off on Wed morning worked Thursday, Friday and Saturday before spending Sunday rolling on home.    6008 now starts, runs, drives and stops!  I'll let the pics tell the story from here:  

First off, wire cutter!  Of course it has a wire cutter.  

The majority of the work revolved around redoing all of the wheel bearings, seals and replacing 100% of the brake system from the NOS master cylinder to the NOS brake pads.   Most of this was familiar, well trodden ground but for the one hiccup of getting an A2 hard line set when Brooks ordered an A1 set.  Some stuff crosses over but not all of it so we ended up having to make a few lines here and there with the bending tools that we luckily had along to replace the fuel lines with anyhow.  

Like the most of the other A1s in the fleet, 6008 now mounts an internal rotary fuel pump feeding out of a just relined tank via all new lines up to the carb.  

All through the weekend, Z stayed on top of all of the paint work making sure that any new parts being added were painted and, where required, fit in with the pattern.  

As is his way, Stagg insured that the stickering met with the company standards.  

Once all the brakes were bled up and adjusted, all the bearings were done, all the new cables installed, all the wiring tidied up, and the myriad of other tasks taken care of, we eventually went after the engine.   I installed the electronic ignition conversion and fixed a minor coolant leak at the thermostat and finally:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72344899@N00/15917148341/

Curfman and Brooks were out on the first test drive.  Apart from some minor gauge malfunctions it worked perfectly for the run up the alley and back.  

Next up, I took it out and wound it up and down the alley again braking and accelerating a bit to see if anything seemed amiss in the suspension.  It did feel like one bushing was clunking so I decided to articulate the suspension a bit by crossing Brooks' mother in laws ditch.

A few things about that...  First off, I forgot that we were only a 2wd right now since the front drive shaft is out.  Secondly, they sure do make some soft ground in South Texas!  I was sure to be razzed about this the entire trip home but Brooks saved me:  

Remember kids, always depress the clutch when starting your manual transmission vehicle particularly when its a very easy to start little truck inside your garage.   It did not make it all the way into the dining room at least.  

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 1st, 2014, 7:53 am

And how did the Craftsman tool box stand up to the assault?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 1st, 2014, 8:57 am

It took it surprisingly well. As Curfman pointed out, it now features a handy M151 height gauge which will help to identify any future suspension sag. The workbench took it ok as well, it was not particularly well attached so it just scooted back into the wall which did not appreciate the hit nearly as much. Strategic new poster placement should hide the issue from Brooks’ wife though so no harm no foul.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 1st, 2014, 11:10 am

You do know that running without a front drive shaft will 95% of the time result in the front yoke of the transmission coming off and dumping all of the gear oil in exactly 2.1 seconds.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 1st, 2014, 11:35 am

It takes more than 2.1 seconds if you are careful to secure the yoke.

Still comes off and dumps all the oil of course...

We were not planning to drive much, just wanted to get out and check a few things before driving back home so we could id any up and coming issues. Basically just put a few blocks worth of distance on it so check that it stops straight, drives straight, doesn't have any crazy wobbles to it etc.

We were short 2 drive shaft joints so that's the best we could do with what we had.

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » December 2nd, 2014, 1:09 am

Looks very nice! Love the fact the young guys are involved too. Great job!

Aswayze
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Aswayze » December 2nd, 2014, 8:42 am

East Wind in general is/was really good at that.

We focused a great deal on training and getting everyone involved in projects so lots of these guys really took a great deal of useful life skills out of all of the wacky projects we took on.

It happens that both Curfman and Stagg there are M151 owners as well. Z doesn't have one but that's more related to the minimalist life he leads than anything else.