WIZS M151 to Live or Let Die?

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

KWIZ87
Corporal
Corporal

WIZS M151 to Live or Let Die?

Unread post by KWIZ87 » June 27th, 2019, 6:52 am

Hello everyone this build thread covers my dads M151 that I would like to bring back from the dead. So I am looking for opinions as to whether she is too far gone. I will post some more pics soon with more info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73 M151A2
? M151 Dad's

Rustman
Corporal
Corporal

Re: WIZS M151 to Live or Let Die?

Unread post by Rustman » January 8th, 2020, 11:49 am

With Guy's reproduction panels no 151 is too far gone anymore. Sure you might spend more money and time than buying a better one. But if it's the restoration you enjoy and it has sentimental value then why not? It's a hobby to be enjoyed. If you just wanted a monetary investment you could go to eTrade.

There are no new M151s being made. Unlike the MB/GPW there aren't a bunch of CJ-2As being retrofitted to look like one. Either you have a real one or you might have one of those commercial ones, but they are pretty distinctive. So therefore any restored 151 is the real thing. And the number of them in existence are not going up.

Matt

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 8th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Well, The original poster of this item has not been on since 10/1/19 so we don't know which way it went but it is a good topic for discussion. With the regular addition of new panels and parts to CMD's inventory there is no reason to trash most any 151 out there. But with that said it has to be understood that these panels do not install themselves. There is a LOT, and I mean a whole lot of preparation involved in replacing panels on a unibody constructed vehicle. You cannot weld to rust, period, can't do it. So you need to remove ALL rusty metal all the way back to good metal and this will mean in a lot of cases that you are going to have to fabricate your own patch panels to go from the new panel to the good metal. So what I am saying is yes, these vehicles are savable using the new panels available but you need the welding and fabrication skills and body repair equipment to do the work. And time, lots of time. Don't watch these TV shows where they build a vehicle in two weeks up against deadline. Yea, the vehicle looks fantastic but I have seen some of these vehicles ten years after and they are junk! They were a rushed two week job, period. You get what you pay for.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 8th, 2020, 9:32 pm

There is another option. In three words - Don't go overboard. As long as the body isn't in such a state that is ready to collapse in upon itself like some black hole, make judicious and necessary repairs to the mechanicals and enjoy it for a bit, as is. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The joy of having a heritage vehicle quickly wanes when it is sucking your bank account dry and the missus is unhappy about the whole thing. I'm rather sure your father's first desire was for you to be happy, with or without his old truck so, proceed with that in mind.

Cheers,
TJ