Waking up a Texas M151A2

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Waking up a Texas M151A2

Unread post by m3a1 » November 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am

Did some little things on the truck yesterday.

Finally got the proper anchor for the spring that holds the brake shoe to the backing plate. I muffed the first attempt at putting it on and the spring disappeared into the brake assembly :roll: so out came the floor jack and off came the wheel and drum and I worked some magic to get it on. To accomplish this I ended up getting back to my Ohio Farm Boy roots by making a loop out of baling wire and after fishing that spring through the backing plate I hooked the loop of wire onto the spring end. That made for a much more secure means of holding it while I fiddled with hooking that ridiculously small anchor onto the spring end (big fingers + small parts = a lot of frustration). Then I just cut the wire and everything went in, like Flynn.

AND..... I totally killed the most annoying rattle on the whole truck which was caused by the absence of the large metal strap used to secure the muffler in place. Mine didn't have one. Well, it does now and I'm a totally happy camper. Still many other rattles to resolve on this truck but I must admit, the vibration and rattles are part of its charm and character. It wouldn't be much fun if the truck sat there an purred like a new car.

Guys, if you are looking for some additional inspiration to slog forward on your particular project, check out some of the offerings on Youtube when you have some quiet time. There are loads of videos showing like-minded people firing up engines that have sat for years, or pulling tractors and tanks out of bogs and bringing them back to life. I don't mean to get all misty, but I came to the conclusion that we are among a select group of special people who are doing some amazing things with these machines while the rest of the world turns their backs on them. Whether you are producing things restored to factory fresh or simply motor pool/combat ready, give yourself a BIG pat on the back for your passion, dedication and skill.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 7th, 2017, 6:08 pm

It's been a while but with Christmas, New Years and the rest out of the way it's time to start making plans for getting MV things underway once again.

I came across some proper pins for the pivot points of the seats and got those put in. They are so much shorter than the ones I got at Tractor Supply and with that, very much out of sight. Quite an improvement.

Since the little truck now runs (and everyone in town knows it) it was high time to see to it's security. Since the military installed a battery cut-off switch in the tool locker the only thing left to do was to add a military pad lock to the passenger seat so as to make the switch inaccessible while I am away. Most folks would have no idea it was there so I think we're reasonably secure, now.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 7th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Chain on the steering wheel, best security around. Worked for the military for 60 years.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Yeah, Rick, I thought of that and I agree. In fact, they welded a chain link to the floor between the seats on mine and we all know what that's for...but I've got enough rattles as it is so I elected to secure the battery cut-off and leave the chain business for another time. There was a time (back when steering wheel lock-bars were all the rage) that the thieves would simply hacksaw through the steering wheel, bend it aside, take the thing off, and drive the whole shebang away. :roll: So, even that isn't a perfect solution.

One of my major concerns has been someone getting in it while I'm away and flipping the master switch on and leaving it on, thereby baking my coil. I know this could happen as I got in it the other day and found someone had put the front drive lever into the engaged position, which is not where I left it. I completely understand how a vehicle such as this will attract the occasional curious passerby and even those thoughtless people who thing nothing of climbing in and playing around because we know how inviting these trucks can be. So, until the day comes when I have a building to put these in, that's gonna be a possibility.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » January 8th, 2017, 3:42 pm

I have a very simple ignition lock thats on my Jeep and several others.
Pm me if you are interested in one.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 8th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I have the same lock Fil is talking about, very handy.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm

I'd like to see a picture of that. I toyed with the idea of creating a lockable cover for the master switch but, as the cut-off switch was already in place and as it required only a padlock to make it secure, I took the low road....so to speak.

I also have to weld the stud back on to the spare tire mount so I can lock that spare tire up as well.

By the way, who is the go-to source for rubber/vinyl (not canvas) seat-back pads for the front seats? Mine were quite worn when I got it and now that they're actually seeing use again, my driver's side cover gave way at the usual spot on the outer edge. A suitable temporary fix is to swap the pads on the seats (R-L, L-R) but sooner or later it's going to have to be dealt with.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 9th, 2017, 8:07 pm

1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 9th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Ah yes. Not quite what I had imagined, but very nice.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 11th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Drove the MUTT up into the Texas Hill Country this afternoon. The weather was perfect. We visited with a fellow who stopped by the other day. The guy is a street rodder and a rat rodder. He really appreciated the "as-found" condition of my truck and invited us up for a small tour. Lots of nice stuff including a gorgeous chopped and channeled 51 Ford that had the look of the much more expensive Mercury of similar vintage. So satisfying to meet like minded people. Having the MUTT parked out on the curb sure brings a lot of strangers to the door.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 10th, 2017, 11:47 pm

While the northeast is getting winter weather, Texas has been just lovely. We've had the windows open for days!

Got into the issue of safety belts yesterday out of necessity and owing to the very good weather. It seemed that the stock buckles just wouldn't catch so, under the assumption that many years of Texas dirt had deposited itself into the buckles I removed one and blew it out with compressed air and gave it a few good whacks to break up whatever might have found a good place to hang onto the inside. Now would it fully accept the tab of the male end? Yes, just as it had before but it STILL wouldn't buckle. :roll:

I compared the male end to another set I had in The Great Big Box Of Everything and it seemed to be exactly the same dimensions with the one notable difference being that my truck had a tab with provision for shoulder harness. Oddly enough, the other buckles I had in the parts bin WOULD accept the male end of the shoulder-harnessed tab....though when I got them they were paired with belts without provision for shoulder harnesses.

So, looking very closely I found that the shoulder harness connection was juuuust big enough that it interfered with the tab going all the way into the buckle about 98% of the time. Don't ask me about the other 2% of the time...might have had something to do with the position of the circlip. Maddening, to say the least.

Now, the quick solution would be to remove just a little bit of material from the edge of the buckle (which is plastic) so as to allow room for the shoulder harness connection. I really don't want to use what I had in the parts bin as they look extremely turdy.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there were actually two different buckles...one for straight lap belts and another for lap/shoulder belts. Anyone care to comment? At first glance, what I have appeared to be the same but I'm going to make a careful comparison tomorrow.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 16th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Never figured out what the difference was between the buckles but the buckles that worked were from something like a five-tonner. I dispensed with the shoulder harness but left everything in place and now rely only upon the lap belts. Don't want to get into the whole discussion on the benefits of shoulder harnesses. For what I use my truck for, lap belts are entirely sufficient.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Today I got into the business of knocking out lots of little things left undone around here and among those things was pulling the NOS M151A2 top out of its crate and putting it on the little truck. With the help of my son, we had the old top off and the new top on in just about ten minutes. What an amazing transformation! Needless to say, I'm very pleased but it's kind of like putting a diamond necklace on a wild hog.....

Anyone notice anything odd? :wink:
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » February 17th, 2017, 2:44 am

m3a1 wrote: Anyone notice anything odd? :wink:
Yes. In the first pic, you have a lamp post as a convoy light :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 17th, 2017, 3:42 am