Period uniform question

This is the place to discuss Reenacting/Living History topics

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery, moose53

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Period uniform question

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » June 18th, 2011, 11:00 am

Ok, this seems like a perfect place for this question.
Since most of my vehicles are restored to about 1978-1980 time frame, and all of them are painted in desert camo, what is the proper and accurate field uniform for that period? NOT what was issued in boot camp, as I realize boot camp and final in-theater duty were two different things.
Our club has decided to try to get owners to dress up at our next show in a proper uniform according to whatever age their vehicles represent. And being as this primarily a MUTT specific web-site, and MUTTs were in their prime in this time period, a perfect match!

I looked up US 6 color desert cammies where designed in 1962 or so (but not fielded until about 1977 or so), and from then on, things get complicated. Viet Nam was just getting over, and technology, along with politics were starting to influence uniforms/equipment. I am learning early into this project that 1978-1980 was a very transitional time in this respect.
Black chevron soled boots I think, plastic snap-buckle duty belt with Y suspenders? I believe a steel pot was still in use then, as the Kevlar (and M9 Beretta) were starting to switch in the mid-80's.

I am anal and borderline OCD about accuarcy, down to what brand magazines to put in the mag-pouches.

199th mp
Major
Major

Re: Period uniform question

Unread post by 199th mp » June 18th, 2011, 4:02 pm

couple of ideas come to mind---locate a soldiers handbook for the time period and check the equipment layout for inspection section--this should serve you well as to scope and accuracy. also, if there is a military museum anywhere near you, they may have some manuals that answer that question directly., at the citizen soldier museum in sacramento, there is a very large collection of manuals available to any museum visitors. you could also send a letter of inquiry to ft benning's infantry school.should all else fail.

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » June 18th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Playboy was the favorite magazine of the Seabees....sorry, I couldn't pass on the magazine of choice. Seabee
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » June 18th, 2011, 5:55 pm

There will be some exceptions but regular units are pretty much limited to green fatigues with black boots. Heavy weight BDUs beginning mid to early 80s. Greens or Tans if you want to be formal.

Her is one from Ft Hood 1975.

NBC suits 1986 ish.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » June 18th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Bill
As to what uniforms were being worn around that time would depend on branch of service but also what type of unit & theater you are portraying.

A friend of mine served in the 82nd ABN during that time period and he told me that they were still wearing the slant pocket ERDL camoflauge uniforms from the late VN period. As for boots, the black lace up, non capped toe boot w/ cheveron soles were worn and in certain climes, the Jungle boot (green canvas non speed lace or padded collar) with panama sole was used. Straight leg (non Airborne) units as well as the National Guard would have been wearing the solid green "OG107s" ("pickle suit") with the aformentioned cheveron boots.

Web gear during that period would have been a mix & match of canvas & nylon again depending on your unit and what "they'd" let you get away with. Most guys would have been issued the LC-2 LBE which included the "Y" suspenders by that time but, it wouldn't be out of place to see any of the canvas M56 or nylon M67,LC-1 stuff still being used.

Kevlar helmets (K-Pot) were introduced in the early 80s but didn't see wide spread issue until later on (around 1985) as was the case of the M9 Berretta pistol. So what you will need is one of the "improved" M1 steel helmets (think I have one around here-somewhere) with either the VN era "Mitchell" pattern helmet cover or the later ERDL pattern covers.

Here's a link for a place where you can get a lot of this stuff; http://www.omahas.com/index.php

Matt
Last edited by WC Matt on June 20th, 2011, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » June 19th, 2011, 1:49 am

WC Matt wrote:Bill
As to what uniforms were being worn around that time would depend on branch of service but also what type of unit & theater you are portraying.

A friend of mine served in the 82nd ABN during that time period and he told me that they were still wearing the slant pocket enertl camoflauge uniforms from the late VN period. As for boots, the black lace up, non capped toe boot w/ cheveron soles were worn and in certain climes, the Jungle boot (green canvas non speed lace or padded collar) with panama sole was used. Straight leg (non Airborne) units as well as the National Guard would have been wearing the solid green "OG107s" ("pickle suit") with the aformentioned cheveron boots.

Web gear during that period would have been a mix & match of canvas & nylon again depending on your unit and what "they'd" let you get away with. Most guys would have been issued the LC-2 LBE which included the "Y" suspenders by that time but, it wouldn't be out of place to see any of the canvas M56 or nylon M67,LC-1 stuff still being used.

Kevlar helmets (K-Pot) were introduced in the early 80s but didn't see wide spread issue until later on (around 1985) as was the case of the M9 Berretta pistol. So what you will need is one of the "improved" M1 steel helmets (think I have one around here-somewhere) with either the VN era "Mitchel" pattern helmet cover or the later "woodland" pattern covers.

Here's a link for a place where you can get a lot of this stuff; http://www.omahas.com/index.php

Matt
Matt is absolutely right. The only thing I could add would be the possibility of seeing the chocolate chip desert camo pattern uniform but these were very rarely issued before Desert Storm. If it were me, I would go with the slanted pocket jungle fatigues with green canvas jungle boots, either Y nylon or H canvas harness with a metal hook buckle web belt and steel pot with woodland camo cover.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

miljeep
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by miljeep » June 19th, 2011, 8:37 pm

since you have your vehicles painted in desert camo the 101st Airborne wore Choco-chip uniforms when they participated in the Operation Bright Star events. Operation Bright Star is a series of biennial combined and joint training exercises led by American and Egyptian forces in Egypt. These exercises began in 1980. They are designed to strengthen ties between the Egyptian and American militaries and demonstrate and enhance the ability of the Americans to reinforce their allies in the Middle East in the event of war. These deployments usually are centered at the large Cairo West Air Base. During the period following the liberation of Kuwait (Operation Desert Storm), these exercises have grown larger and have included as many as 11 countries and 70,000 personnel. Other allied nations joining Bright Star exercises in Egypt have included the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Greece, the Netherlands, Jordan, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » June 20th, 2011, 7:04 am

I was going to mention Operation Bright Star but thought it took place later in the 80s.

Here's another link to someone who sells both the ERDL uniforms as well as OG107s http://www.mooremilitaria.com/

Matt

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » July 1st, 2011, 8:55 am

Uniforms worn in Saigon 1971.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 1st, 2011, 9:37 am

Ralph, You have to be the old timer on the right with the old and beat up uniform.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » July 1st, 2011, 7:14 pm

Rick: You called that one right. I had just come out of the boonies, and met a buddy from OCS that was stationed in Saigon. He was living in an air conditioned hotel with maid service, and I was trudging through elephant grass with wet feet most of the time with the 25th Infantry. Like living in parallel worlds.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » July 1st, 2011, 8:11 pm

hi ralph--see what happens when you jump out of perfectly good airplanes? you just don't get assigned to hotels with maid service--the personnel types are afraid you'll damage the furnishings, if not the staff as well. LOL

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 1st, 2011, 8:30 pm

Or start repelling down the side of the building. ( There was no alcohol involved, honest.) :roll: :roll:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » July 1st, 2011, 8:37 pm

I always heard the military doesn't have any "perfectly good airplanes". Which brings me to the following observation: "You don't need a parachute to go skydiving, you only need a parachute to go skydiving twice".
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » July 2nd, 2011, 6:29 am

ok, lt, you got me on that one---but if the wings are still on, and the engines still work and the pilots still awake, i'm very reluctant to leave until it's absolutely necessary.