a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

tbh726
Sergeant
Sergeant

Need help understanding what I have..

Unread post by tbh726 » February 5th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Hi all,

I found this site of course after the fact, and have found some great info. However any help would be great. So here is the story. my brother bought a 151 a2 from someone back in 1995 who drove it in parades and around town. He had historical plates and drove it till 2005 and parked it in a garage. It has sat there till i bought from him about 2 weeks ago. not sure if it matters, but it has 26k miles. fuel lines had rubber line added where it they were cut and they are rotten. he had someone start to look at it in 2018 and that is why you see zip ties in on lines to identify what went to what.

He keeps calling it "uncut" since there are not any cuts straight through the frame which is true on the cuts. looks more like it was "carefully" cut horizontally so that it could be put back together, but not sure what to look for. The bottom is in great shape, someone sprayed it with rubber undercoat that is now pealing off due to time, but no rust other than the battery box floor.

I plan to replace fuel lines, all hoses, flush everything then turn it over with out fuel just to see it do that and get oil splashed around. Any information would be great, also paid 5k for it did i get ok or bad deal? either way it is my new hobby to have fun with...

tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Need help understanding what I have..

Unread post by raymond » February 5th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Did it originate from Warren Dean in Rolla Mo?

He used to sell M151s that were horizontally cut just like that.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m75
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by m75 » February 5th, 2021, 3:25 pm

If there have been no great mis-alignments when the upper/lower were re-welded, seems that $5k is very reasonable!
Jim Peterson
SGM, 31B Retired 2015
1961 M151 -Sold
1974 M151A2, Working It!

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 5th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Hello Tim and welcome to the site. From what I can see it looks pretty good from the pictures you sent. One thing I noticed is that it looks like the fuel filter is screwed directly into the carb. There should be a fitting between the two. The filter has a tapered thread and the carb body is straight thread. If overtightened, can crack the carb body. I would agree that the 5k is reasonable based on what people are trying to get for trucks these days.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

tbh726
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by tbh726 » February 5th, 2021, 6:01 pm

thanks all... yes Raymond, my guess it was from Rolla, my brother was stationed there and the person he bought it from "knew" someone from that area, at the time they were living in St. Peters Mo. On some of the Manuals there is the other person's name written in them with the year 87. By the way we are very close to each other i am in Lincoln County..

Guy, i bought a new filter and also plan to do the in-line filter like i have see a bunch of pictures, I will look for a fitting, good catch thanks.

One last question, this is considered "Cut" correct? my brother keeps telling me no it was uncut since it did not go through the frame, i think he is wrong.

Glad to hear i at least did not over spend.. he had tons of extra parts to include doors, nets for sides, seats, gaskets so i am looking forward to getting it going. Have a great deal to learn, rode in them all the time in the Marines, but never had to drive or take care of them..

tim

TFischer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by TFischer » February 5th, 2021, 8:46 pm

that MUTT looks great. with y limited experience I would of bought it for 5k. this blog site has tones of information to help with anything involving your MUTT.
Ted
1968 M151A1

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 5th, 2021, 9:24 pm

Well, a cut is a cut. The hamburger cut was a interesting way of skirting the system and it did not last long before they caught onto it and put a stop to it. But as you can see it did cut into the main structure. Being a unibody no matter where you cut it you will weaken the structure and where that is cut under the cowl is a major structural area since that is where the engine weight and torque are transferred to the body and axles. A lot of twisting going on there. So make sure you go over all of those welds closely and look for any rust that would indicate a crack or weak spot. Undercoat is bad news when it is put over a repair like that since it will hold water in as well as hold it out. Then somewhere down the line a huge chunk of undercoat just falls off with no body left under it. It is best to get as much of the undercoat off as you can and replace it with paint. With paint any rust will be seen instantly.

NOW, About that Torino! Is that a big block car? :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » February 6th, 2021, 10:37 am

So far looks like you got a reasonable deal. Post some pictures of the underside of the jeep and some where you think it was welded back together.

EDIT: Looking on the last picture I do see now where it was cut...
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 6th, 2021, 11:45 am

I'd be curious to see how and where the firewall was cut. My A2 was a 1/4 cut (cut across the width mid length and down the center front to back). Mine also has the ROPS which makes me feel better about the structural integrity of the truck as I put about 3,000 miles on it per year and do some trail riding with it.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 7th, 2021, 11:40 am

tbh726 wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 6:01 pm
thanks all... yes Raymond, my guess it was from Rolla, my brother was stationed there and the person he bought it from "knew" someone from that area, at the time they were living in St. Peters Mo. On some of the Manuals there is the other person's name written in them with the year 87. By the way we are very close to each other i am in Lincoln County..

tim
Where in Lincoln County are you located :?:

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

tbh726
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by tbh726 » May 19th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Hi Raymond, in Moscow Mills... I also found some info that yes it is a william dean Mutt. As i am digging into it. it was welded back together pretty good. the alignment seems pretty good.

Guy,
it was cut in both front floorboards, the cut also is along side the shifters. It is almost like someone carefully used a plasma cutter, then put it back. they also cut all of the fuel lines and fuel vent lines by the shifters. if you want i can take a few photos of the welds in floor boards.

tim

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 21st, 2021, 8:19 am

Tim

Send me a PM with your contact info. I'd like to come down and look at it.
Raymond

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » May 21st, 2021, 9:22 am

raymond wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 8:19 am
Tim

Send me a PM with your contact info. I'd like to come down and look at it.
Raymond
I think he needs a few more posts before he can send a PM.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 21st, 2021, 10:24 am

Raymond, check your PM's
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 22nd, 2021, 9:51 am

Just now getting on the site. Been working on my boat and Seadoo to get them ready for summer.
Thanks for the PM Rick.
Raymond