R.I.P. DevilDog7090

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

R.I.P. DevilDog7090

Unread post by acudanut » January 20th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Just found out Capt. Joe passed away last month. He was a great guy.

rickf
General
General

Re: R.I.P. DevilDog7090

Unread post by rickf » January 20th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Had to look him up since I didn't remember him. Only a couple years older than me. Thanks for letting us know.

The WWII Vets are about all gone, now it is the Korean and Vietnam Vets turn. Korean war ended 67 years ago and Vietnam 43 years ago. Millennials don't remember or care about either war.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Rick, very true. Sad thing is, most who are Millennials and served, are "100" percent disabled. What a bunch of BS

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 20th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Well, I am not going to say yes or no to that but you do 5,6,8,10 tours in an area where everyone hates you and you are constantly under fire but you are not allowed to shoot back because of politics, and heaven forbid you do kill a civilian! you are going to be hung in both countries. Officially. That will cause all kinds of mental issues in itself on top of just plain serving non stop in a war zone. Humans were not programmed to do that, most humans anyway. Some live for it. Others try to give the impression that they have no problems with it but inside it tears them up and those are the ones with the severe PTSD issues. We have PTSD from Vietnam, I deal with it and so do a LOT of my friends. We never got any treatment for it so there were no claims for it. Anyone trying to claim PTSD from Vietnam is shot down. Vietnam was the first war where you came straight home from the war zone to the living room with no deprogramming time in between. That is the problem. A friend of mind heard a car backfire one night and jumped up and threw his wife on the floor and grabbed his gun and was at full ready for anything that came through the door. He told me he went right back to the jungle just with that one bang! She eventually left him because of the flashbacks and do you think the VA would do anything? Nope.
So yes, there are a LOT more military people claiming disability but keep in mind, the suicide rate in Vets and active military has never been higher than it is right now. Something to think about.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » February 4th, 2021, 5:14 pm

acudanut wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 7:32 pm
Rick, very true. Sad thing is, most who are Millennials and served, are "100" percent disabled. What a bunch of BS
First, RIP to Capt. Joe. Condolences and respect to his family and friends.

Other topic: Not 100% disabled and don't identify as a millennial, but I am under 40 and draw a percentage of disability after 32 months of combat over three tours in two theaters in support of Uncle Sugar and the Global War on Terror. I have to say, after seeing the difficulty my father (a Vietnam/Gulf Veteran and career Army Special Forces NCO) went through with his retirement and the VA, the process has been streamlined and much improved. I echo rickf in the treatment (or lack therof) that many Vietnam vets have had to endure, but the pendulum is swinging. I convinced my father to go back after all these years, and he received a rating, treatment, and back pay for conditions attributed to his service that should have been processed and approved decades ago. I don't know if we should attribute that to the scrutiny the VA has been under lately, but the process is working FAR better now than in the past IMHO. That is the biggest thing that is working these days to which I attribute the "100% disabled" rating on "millenials." One thing that isn't working is the attitude that I see every time I go to a VA toward myself and other GWOT Veterans, mostly from the Vietnam era guys. Y'all have to know just how much unequivocal deference and respect we have toward everyone that came before us, but it isn't generally reciprocated. We're treated like second-rate veterans, scowled at, etc. I've had friends accused of malingering, or otherwise being undeserving of the treatment they receive at VA facilities, or of the disability rating they've earned. Did WW2 or Korean War vets treat Vietnam vets this way? I dare say not, as they don't treat GWOT vets this way today. Why the scorn?

We all fought for this country, shed blood, and had our blood shed in some cases, in foreign lands for God and Country. The least we can do is support one another.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Polar

RIP: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Sold), 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Rolled), 1987 Suzuki Samurai x3 (Sold, Rolled, Junked).

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » February 4th, 2021, 11:19 pm

After a PM, I want to reiterate and be clear that I, and everyone I call a friend has the utmost respect and reverence toward all vets from previous generations, not the least of which Vietnam. Especially as a helicopter pilot, I can't imagine what y'all went through in that place, and the treatment from your own government and country afterwards. Thank you to all here for your prior military service, for what you continue to do for your families and communities, and for making this place my favorite internet campfire. I have learned, and will continue to learn a lot from each of you.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

RIP: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Sold), 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Rolled), 1987 Suzuki Samurai x3 (Sold, Rolled, Junked).

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » February 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Attackpilot....I don't know about Rickf, but when I came back in '72 those WW2 Veterans really didn't care for us the returning VN Vets.......after all, they said the VN vets didn't win that war...they won theirs. I joined the VFW when I came back so I could take my WW1 Grandfather to the meetings to mix and have his hot dog and pepsi drink....after he passed away, they really didn't care if I came....so....30 years later I came only because most of the old dogs had passed, and the leadership was taken over by the VN vets...so I started coming more and become a Trustee. Don't get me wrong, I still admire the WW2 Vets....I just came in contact with some of the sour ones in our Post. My Grandfather was in WW1 France in the Army ....Dad was WW2 Army Air Corp, my Uncle in the Air Force in Korea, and then it was my turn....I do remember those younger GW Vets asking us ( VN ) Vets how we did it....and we would always tell them "We just did it "...and we asked the same of those Veterans before us...and they would say " We just did it ".....and so it goes on....with Respect in to each Generation, as it should be. Salute !
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » February 6th, 2021, 1:57 pm

Rickf relayed some similar experiences, which I guess goes to show the more things change the more they say the same.

I'm sorry we all can seem to never live up to the expectations of the generations before us.

Agree with your comments, SEABEE62. Thank you all for your service and sacrifices!
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Anarchy99
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Anarchy99 » February 6th, 2021, 3:59 pm

I was going to respond to all this weeks ago when it started and didnt after Rickf did because I feel he did a great job of summing it all up. That, and isnt this whole thing in memory of a Dead Marine? Honor the fallen guy and if its so important for folks to talk about different wars, etc... like the 7.62 was any less lethal in any of them, take it to a different thread. Don't get me wrong SEABEE and attackpilot, hell you probably gave me air support in OIF and/or OEF, just dont want to see a guys memorial thread not be just that, a memorial and remembrance of him.
1966 M151A1
416 trailer
Navy Guy

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » February 6th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Agreed. Sorry for the hijack.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » February 6th, 2021, 11:26 pm

I been searching my mind about the site commo I had with him about something and he did his best to help me out as well as the common ground we had with each other as Marines.May he R.I.P.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416