I got the 'rona

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

I got the 'rona

Unread post by raymond » December 6th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Have an inner ear infection. Get one about every year, especially with me swimming laps in my indoor pool every day. Been bothering me since early last week. On Friday, it got worse and required a doctor visit and they also tested me for the 'rona. Just got results that I am positive. Had I not had an ear infection, the only other indications I would have had was a slight scratchiness in my throat, but that could be attributable to the ear infection causing drainage down the Eustachian tube to my throat, something that always happened to me with my almost yearly ear infections. Other was a headache on and off since last Sunday. Not migraine level. Just background headache that required ibuprofen a couple times a day. Headaches have been less frequent since Friday. I am apparently about a week into it.

Were it not for the ear infection, I would not have given it any consideration. Been running wood splitter, chain saw, doing house work etc. without any indication anything was out of the ordinary.

I'll take this over the common cold any day.

I know some have had severe cases. Just my personal experience.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: I got the 'rona

Unread post by raymond » December 6th, 2020, 5:07 pm

P.S. I take 6 1,000 i.u. capsules of Vitamin D3 and a 50mg tablet of zinc every day, and have for a couple years, as I don't like to get any respiratory ailments. And the above have been known for years to mitigate respiratory viruses.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 6th, 2020, 5:21 pm

P.P.S. Never lost taste of sense of smell.
Raymond

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 6th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Hope you get well soon, my mother-in-law is 83 and in the nursing home, she caught it a couple weeks ago, she showed no signs other than fatigue, she was just put on the recovered list, never know how it will effect you.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 6th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Glad to hear you got a light dose of it. Kind of like the difference between chugging one beer and chugging a case of beer. Same stuff...different results. So, don't think that you might somehow be immune. You might have just picked up a light dose of the Rona this time. Next time may be different. Again, same stuff...different results. They are beginning to understand how this works.

My wife is a night admitting physician and outlying hospitals (which have been overrun) are shipping to San Antonio. Unfortunately, this being Texas, many of these patients are of a culture that is rooted in maintaining very strong family ties. There is certainly nothing wrong with that but unfortunately, it seems if mamacita gets shipped to the hospital in San Antonio, half (or all) of the family comes along...shops....eats....goes to church, etc etc....and they bring the Rona with them. This is only one of the paradigms hard at work to keep the Rona moving around. :roll:

I am also beginning to suspect that people who are active may indeed be better suited to fighting this bug. But I will also say that my wife is reporting otherwise perfectly healthy people ARE getting bumped off by this and that includes youngsters.
download.jpg
However, we may recall that Jess Ventura's character eventually DOES find time to bleed. So, some good advice - Have a thermometer on hand. Have a pulse-O2 meter on hand if you can find an affordable one, and check yourself from time to time....kinda like checking your own oil.

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m3a1 on December 6th, 2020, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 6th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Don't get too overconfident! A friend of mine also got a mild case, or so he thought and two weeks later he ended up in the hospital and was very close to going on a ventilator. 7 months later and he still has problems breathing and with his balance.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 6th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Antibody tests have shown the true rate of infection may be more than 10x the number of official cases. In the U.S., there are now a little over 10 million cases. That would put the infection rate at 100 million. That is approaching "herd immunity". That also means the vast majority of people are asymptomatic.

Other research is showing that antibodies to the virus are cleared relatively fast. But your T4 lymphocytes (which provide long term immunity) remain for very long periods.

Still other research is showing that prior exposure to the common cold (the common cold is caused by a coronavirus and the Chinese Coronavirus shares the vast majority of it's DNA with cold viruses) confers some level of immunity. I worked in the family convenience stores for several years. I got every cold that went around. This also may explain why long term retail workers such as grocery store and convenience store checkers are not getting serious cases of infection in the numbers that would be expected.
Raymond

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 6th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Hope you get well soon. We have had 3 people in the shop test positive and I got a call yesterday about a 4th. Luckily, they have been isolated and so far we have not had an outbreak amongst employees.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 7th, 2020, 2:27 pm

How are ya doin' today, Raymond? Inquiring minds want to know..

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 7th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Doing fine. Feel good enough to go out and conquer the planet and enslave the entire human population.
Raymond

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » December 7th, 2020, 7:52 pm

raymond wrote:
December 7th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Doing fine. Feel good enough to go out and conquer the planet and enslave the entire human population.
OK, he's almost back to normal, whatever that is....... :lol: :lol:
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 8th, 2020, 1:53 pm

the-pinky-and-the-brain-brain-brain-71557335.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 10th, 2020, 11:07 pm

Quarantine is over.
Raymond

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 10th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Unleashed upon an unsuspecting world, eh? Someone should warn 'em.

Nah. Why spoil the surprise?

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » December 29th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Daughter works part time in the O.R. at local hospital. She got her Rona Vax yesterday.
Raymond