Getting stuff delivered

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Getting stuff delivered

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 4th, 2020, 5:47 pm

OK, I get it . . . the Kung Flue is affecting everything, but it sure is frustrating trying to get items delivered and getting accurate information from the delivery companies. UPS, Fed/Ex, USPS, DHL, I've had an issue with every one of them in the past few weeks.

Latest frustrations is we shipped two CCKW leaf springs via USPS, separately. One gets to the customer and one is stuck in a facility in NJ for the past four days. No updates, no explanations why one would make it and one is in the twilight zone of packages.
And I ordered some MUTT parts from RAPCO and they shipped Fed/Ex Home. Get email from FE that the package will get delivered last Thursday. Than en email that say Friday, Then four emails that say Saturday, then talke to a carbon based life formrm that tells me Sunday, Monday at the latest. Then four emails that tel me item will be delivered Monday. Then four emails that tell me item will get delivered Thuesday. It is Tuesday evening and no package in sight.

Not RAPCO's fault, but I asked them to get their FedEx rep involved and no word from them either. I got the MUTT apart waiting on the parts because I got an email that said last Thursday. Lesson learned. Do not dismantle until new parts in hand.

Grrrrrrrr…..

rickf
General
General

Re: Getting stuff delivered

Unread post by rickf » August 4th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Ah yes, the NJ USPS black hole. They have lost a LOT of my stuff in that hole. It mysteriously appears on my step one day with no further tracking every time. Try living here and having all of your stuff go through that hole!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm

I ordered some paint from Rapco about a month ago, aerosol and gallons, the gallons shipped by FedEx, aerosol by USPS, got gallon in a couple days, aerosol took 2 weeks, both shipped on same day. Rapco did their part, FedEx delivered on time but my aerosol must have went around the country, Mark tracked it for me, said it got hung up somewhere for over a week, I'm only 300 miles away. :roll:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 4th, 2020, 9:03 pm

You see that the new boss of USPS is being called into congress to explain what is going on. He has changed everything up in the name of saving money by cutting out all overtime and holding shipments until the next day if after a certain time when in the past they would have shipped.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 6th, 2020, 12:25 am

Reminds me how Amazon has shafted me and many others on the whole 2 day thing.
They claim they are prioritizing things for Covid 19, but that doesn't cut it. If you are doing so, refund my Prime fee.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 6th, 2020, 8:07 am

I FULLY agree there!! But they will tell you that you get free movies and music. Yea, the movies are all B or lower and they suck and I don't do the music thing. So where is the deal?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 6th, 2020, 9:33 am

My dad retired from the USPS after 45 years, not what it used to be, hope the election doesn't end up in their hands. :roll:

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 6th, 2020, 9:59 am

My Dad was also a postal carrier back in the day when they pushed a tricycle type cart with saddle bags on it as well as an over the shoulder leather bag, picked up and delivered mail door to door without walking across the grass and ever sold stamps. Yes, not like the old days. When your Dad retired, did he have a garage full of undelivered junk mail?

Back to my OP, the package from RAPCO still has not been deliver although every email tells me it is on a truck and out for delivery. Same email and text I have gotten since last Thursday. RAPCO's Fed/Ex rep assured them the package would be deliver yesterday. Nope.

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » August 6th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Yeah, been seeing the same type of problems.
Ebay "guaranteed" date just a guess anymore. :roll:
One package was 5 days late and another (for today) 1 day late from the "guaranteed"date.
Does that mean I get my money back????? :lol: Yeah right.
Amazon about the same......
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 6th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Just had a vender tell me they were going charge me $50 for S&H on some small items(carb parts?)
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 6th, 2020, 7:22 pm

M&J
My dad was hired in 1947, I can remember him driving the Cushman Mailster and then the DJ, he said they carried up to 50lbs. in the leather mailbag, he would park the Jeep and deliver several blocks by foot. Nowadays they drive up to every resident and can't lift over a few lbs., gone is the good ole postman, he had a lady that would cook him lunch everyday :shock: , I'm sure he helped out people daily while on the route, back in the good ole days.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 6th, 2020, 8:44 pm

LOL, it took 7 weeks for a small envelope to go from KC to New York via USPS.

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » August 6th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Well, my package arrived today. Yellow Penske truck with magnetic stickers on the door. Driver spoke English as a 5th language and had no idea why I was a little upset with this delivery. We were sitting on the porch yesterday evening when the Fed/Ex Ground van drove by, so I'm not understanind the sub contractor delivery service thing with Fed/Ex, but at some point in time, it's got to hurt their reputation If it took 10 days to get here from TX, then it is what it is, but when I get email and email telling me it's on a truck for delivery and it doesn't happen, that's worse, to me, than just showing up 10 days late and surprising me.

Oh well, at least I get wo put the gaskints on my MUTT and try to get it up and running.

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » August 7th, 2020, 7:29 am

FedEx uses a lot of contractors for deliveries. The contractors seem to deliver when it is convenient for them based on their location or area on any given day. If you aren't close to their other deliveries, you will likely wait until they get nearer to you with other stops in your area. We've had as many as 3 FedEx trucks pick up or deliver here in the same day. They run International, Business and Home Delivery out of the same terminal but with 3 different trucks. As we are well off of the beaten path, we always ponder why they couldn't coordinate things to cut out the redundancy.
And since we're sharing horror stories, I finally had an expensive parcel delivered to a customer in the UK using USPS Global Express Guaranteed. GXG is a collaboration between USPS and FedEx. USPS Tracking showed that I delivered the package to the local PO. It was then handed off to FedEx. after that, Tracking went dark. Both USPS and FedEx showed "In Transit to Next Destination". GXG is supposed to be available for delivery (after the receiver pays Customs and Duties) within 5 days. I often use this means and they always hit the mark. I wasn't aware that this was "LOST" until the customer contacted me almost 4 weeks later. They must have missed the part where I mentioned delivery within 5 days guaranteed. The dicey part is that the fine print allows you a 30 day window to file a claim. The customer's patience/inaction almost caused us to miss that window. After contacting USPS, they began an internal Trace/Search and informed us to put in a claim to USPS for the $300 shipping. We would have to file a claim for the goods (over $1000) with FedEx. WTH! I said, I hired USPS to deliver this. I didn't hire FedEx, they did! Before beginning the claims processes, I ran the FedEx Tracking one final time (there are 2 tracking numbers on the Custom's Declarations sheet, USPS and FedEx). Somehow the "Lost" parcel was found in Chicago (this is the USPS International Hub) and transferred to FedEx Indianapolis, then to a sorting facility in the UK where it was avaiable for delivery within the guaranteed 5 days from when FedEx received it from the USPS. FedEx is claiming that they fulfilled their guarantee obligation by making it avaiable for delivery within the stated guarantee period once they received it from USPS. Now I have to battle USPS to get my customer some relief for his 3 week late "Guaranteed" delivery.
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 7th, 2020, 9:47 am

USPS and UPS have the same type of collaboration, AND the same exact problems. The tracking goes blanks and NOBODY knows nothing! This new guy they have in charge of uSPS has a plan for saving money and it is going to bury USPS in a hurry. Congress wanted to talk to him this week but he couldn't due to a corporate meeting at USPS so he put it off till next month. Seems to me that USPS is still government funded so when congress says I want you here, You GO! Or you are GONE! who the hell hired this guy?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed